Builds AK HJ-75 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much did you cut from the tub. I had mine cut at the front and took 4 inches out it sits very close to the cab.

Two of these are not like the others. And these are 11V ones.

IMG_4763.JPG

While I'm certainly not a "glow plug" expert and never had to deal with the climate you live in, have you considered going back to the 8.5V glow plugs that were original equipment?

While I'm certainly not a "glow plug" expert and never had to deal with the climate you live in, have you considered going back to the 8.5V glow plugs that were original equipment?
there are failures in the "super glow" system so I am trying to go manual only. the system was staying on for 20seconds or slightly longer without doing the voltage drop at 5 seconds, therefore the failure of the plugs, I assume. The 6V fail at longer than 5 seconds at full voltage :) The new, 10.5V, I tested to 8 seconds before stopping, so now I will only glow for 8 seconds.

Whats the matter with the old one? Looks like it needs to be welded in.

My rad started leaking again after getting another pin hole fixed. So about 6 weeks ago started working on a replacement radiator from PWR Australia. Got it lengthened 2" and had them install a pipe in the header tank half way across the top for the inlet pipe. Got here today. Nicely packaged.

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5186.JPG

there are failures in the "super glow" system so I am trying to go manual only. the system was staying on for 20seconds or slightly longer without doing the voltage drop at 5 seconds, therefore the failure of the plugs, I assume. The 6V fail at longer than 5 seconds at full voltage :) The new, 10.5V, I tested to 8 seconds before stopping, so now I will only glow for 8 seconds.

Hey just an FYI I had two SD33T Patrol engines and both were set up on manual glow, push button. One was 24v and the other was 12v. I changed glow plugs in the 24v truck when I first got it. I would manually glow for up to 30-seconds and never ever had any issues with the glow plugs. When I first got the truck I had probs getting it started, I would never glow more than about 10-seconds because reading the factory manuals and doing a lot of research online said the original auto glow system was like 8 or 10 seconds. I don't recall exactly which this was nearly 15yrs ago. However, I had a number of pieces of machinery like an IR 185 compressor and a Ditch Witch that were very cold blooded and took a lot of glow time to start when it was cold. So one day I chatted with a diesel mechanic who worked on my landscaping machinery about this and he said no issues glowing for up to 30-seconds or more so I tried it. Worked great, especially after I got timing dialed in and also replaced the thermostat which was making the truck run way to cold. When I got the truck not only was it super hard to start it would blow tons of white smoke for a long time after starting. These things solved the white smoke and hard start probs for good. I lived in Wyoming and when it was really cold I would do this to start.

Crank engine over a few times with no glow to build compression in the cylinders. Then glow for 20-30 seconds. Start truck but keep glow plugs on for another 10-20 seconds while it began to run but so it would fire nice and smooth being so cold. This worked flawless at up to -30*.

Just what worked for me on both those engines. Never seen glows blow out like you pictured above either and I had all kinds of voltage probs on the 24v truck until I worked them out. Different beasts?

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom