Airbags (the safe kind, not the suspension kind) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Can you put a steering wheel with an air bag in an older ('66) FJ40 and have it work? I don't know anything about how safety airbags work. Do they just need +12 and have all the motion sensor stuff built in? My son want's to drive my FJ40 when he's 16 and my ex-wife is insisting his first car have a driver's airbag (and I can't say I blame her, given the statistics for first year drivers). I'm trying to figure out if I can make them both happy.

Aren't the triggers located in the front fenders or up front somewhere?

Short answer no. Longer answer: Airbags are computerized carefully engineered per vehicle model systems. They have the ability to kill if deployed incorrectly and have a huge amount of energy. I would wait until your some is a proven responsible and safe driver before u let him drive it. Until then it's probably best he just drive a vehicle with modern safety systems that you aren't overly concerned if it gets wrecked. Which due to what stats are for new drivers is pretty likely. I will say I was taught how to 4wheel with a truck offroad b4 driving onroad. This greatly aided my driving skills.

Yes, he is driving a lot off road - he's actually a very good driver at 14.

Yeah, so far 3 teenage drivers and 4 accidents. None of them serious enough to need airbags but all with damage. Get him driving and interacting with other drivers. Off-road is good, but judging other drivers speed and intentions is the latest problem.

You lucky no bags deployed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom