AGM Battery Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to grab a battery today. The POs Interstate MTP-27F went from fine to can't hold a charge in about 4 days. I use the truck for camping and run some lights and such at night time. The MTP never had an issue starting the next morning, although on occasion I would draw it down to ~11.5 ish volts. In looking at a new battery should I go with an AGM? I need something today and it looks like I could get a DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size 24F or a NAPA The Legend Premium AGM Battery BCI No. 24F.

Those two AGM batteries are ~120minr reserve capacity and 70Ah. The old interstate non AGM was listed as 165min reserve capacity.

Does this mean the AGM will go dead faster? I thought they were supposed to be better at being drawn down moderately so is that still going to be better than the interstate? I got about ~3.5 years out of the interstate.

"Can't hold a charge" as in battery disconnected and losing charge, or hooked up to the positive and negative leads of the truck and losing charge?
If the later, I would investigate any parasitic draw before installing a new battery and assuming that will solve your problem.
Generally, the greater the Ah the better if you are running accessories from battery power.
FWIW, I was a Die Hard fan until Sears went under and they became unavailable, then I switched to X2 Power and have been even more impressed than the old Die Hards.

I have the Bosch S6 AGM battery. It's also 120 RC. Has been a great battery. 165 RC is among the highest I've ever seen.

The Interstate batteries have a great warranty - might want to go with it again.

I have a X2Power deep cycle, dual purpose AGM w/ 190 RC and 930 cranking amp, it has been solid and i run all my accessories and 12v Fridge with it.

I have that same X2 Power battery, only sold at Batteries Plus. It's a beast, works great, heavy as anything.

Oddessy and x2power are the same batteries just different cases. Oddessy is considered one of the best brands on the market by many in the solar industry.

I had a Group 27 2xPower for 5.5 years in my house battery position, it worked well and just died this month.

I've physically seen them torn apart side by side in 2015, they had the same components on the inside. Could've sworn I took photos but I can't find them right now. Check out the specs, and price of a group 27M if they aren't the exact same they are amazingly close. When I checked in 2015 they were the same spec, price and also part number.

Both are excellent batteries.

Last edited:
I have run countless lead acid batteries without issues... I bought one AGM battery a few years back and it crapped out on me within 6 months. I have heard of similar stories. Whichever way you go, you can squeeze a group 31 in there for a bit more capacity.

Do you need 2 batteries to meet demand?

Huh. Always ran Odyssey and never looked at X2
Random search. Looks like the same battery.
X2 Battery
Odyssey

I've run Odyssey's in 5 vehicles only replaced 1 because post broke still don't know why. 1 in Tacoma is 15 years old and still going. I will continue to buy Odyssey's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom