Age old question...rear swing out tire carriers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW....you can fit a 35" tire in the stock location. It does hang down a bunch, but I didn't find it a serious issue. Maybe start there, and that buys you some time to evaluate your needs and options.

Plus, if you don't have much room for some reason, you can deflate it to get some additional room to mount it if you carry a compressor or have on board air.

I really like the 4plus swing out

EWP_4028_zpsqsa3tudc.jpg

I carried my spare in the cargo area floor for two years, finally put three rings ( fender, just under passenger rear window and floor) and used a ratchet strap to hold it. I put a six inch piece of 1/2"X1" steel channel for support inside of the side wall. That freed up the space.

My 4plus has the tire on the other side..... I hope to get an original ladder to go on the left hand side. The P.O. had changed over to a vertical bike rack, which doesn't work for me.

I do like having the spare on the rear though, as it allowed for a 38 gallon main gas tank. Stock FJ62 is thirsty, but mine was swapped for a 6.2 liter LS3 which makes driving and passing much easier.

Last edited:
IMG_1740.JPG
I stole this idea from a Craig's ad. Swing out mounts in trailer receiver and has space for two Jerry cans. I leave it off around town but use it on road trips. Picture is not my truck, but original ad.

If you go with the spindle type, get the biggest diameter spindle you can buy. They tend to crack right at the weld area on the smaller ones.

011.JPG

used to before the SOA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom