After OME lift steering pulls right despite alignment within spec- any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85x

Threads
So, I've searched high and low and couldnt find any threads addressing a similar mystery- hoping you guys can give me an idea.

I have a 99 LC with complete 2.5" OME kit, diff drop and SPC UCA's on 285.7516 BFG's. Did the suspension over a weekend with a friend taking our time. Once we finished I had a my local shop install the SPC UCA's and give me an alignment. According to their rack, I'm well within factory specs for alignment and tires are all within 0.5 lbs of each other but the truck pulls to the right consistently- I'd say my wheel is at about 11 o'clock on the freeway. No vibration or other anomalies at all.

After investigating the only thing I can think of would be that the torsion bars are not equally indexed... could that impart the pull? My front sway bushings are pretty beat so I ordered new ones from @beno (who is the man BTW) and will replace asap.

Can you guys think of anything I can check before I (potentially waste time) re-index the tbars? Could my shop's rack be off?

Thank you all for the help.

Cheers! :beer:

After buying my LC and cranking my t bars and getting an alignment, it was pulling to one side despite being perfectly within spec. It was because the car was out of alignment for so long the tires wore unevenly. It was the uneven tires that was pulling the car to the side. Before the alignment the truck tracked straight. I slapped on some new 35" KO2's and the pulling went away... tracked straight as an arrow and has ever since. Got the alignment re-checked at the same time as the new tires and everything was still in spec. Did you get new tires too or are you on your old tires?

the KO2's only have maybe 5k on them and I rotated them at 2.5 with my oil change. Really hope that isn't it. Thank you for the suggestion, @reznunt

I found one of my tbars was cranked more than another and so the lift was off by 1/2" and the truck pulled to the left. I leveled out the front bars and ensured I had 1" of rake down from rear to front and the pull went away. HTH

TBs
If you marked the splines correctly and marked the torque mounts and anchor arms they should be positioned (indexed) the same. What are your droop measurements for each front wheel, and what are your lift measurements for each wheel? Is each side the same value?

The vehicle is "pulling" and the steering wheel isn't just off-center, right? What is your fender lip to wheel center measurements? Try swapping the tires Left for Right.

Even new, tires can exhibit a "Pull." A shop with a GSP9700 and StraightTrak can identify how much each tire/wheel combo pulls, adjust for it and place tires on the vehicle accordingly to balance it out.

I have the exact same setup and issue. I believe that my torsion bars ae not setup right. Once i get evrything else done ill reindex my TBs and realign.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated. Will report back asap.

In the meantime, here we are on the last road trip through baja and anza borrego

full

full

full

full

its your front lower control arm bushings. they are worn out and need replacement.

If you have your LC perfectly level, it will pull to the right and scares you the first time it happens. It was like a hard right into a ditch. Try dropping the front about one inch. Mine did the same thing after an OME lift. After adding an ARB and winch, the extra weight dropped it about one inch and the problem went away. I remember reading some old posts about the same issue and the writers did confirm the issue and solutions.

Where do you think "stinkbug" came from?

Last edited:
If the torsion bars are set to raise the height of the truck beyond stock you are now removing down travel on the front suspension relative to static height. this lack of droop presents as "pulling" in particular under load as the weight transfer to the rear exaggerates this issue.

Didn't completely fix it but the front sway bar bushings definitely improved handling. Thanks @beno! Check the before and after below:

IMG_0851.PNG

I'm thinking its time to re-index the tbars and see if that solves it. Thanks again for all the suggestions

I've got the exact same issue. 2003 with 2.5" OME lift, diff drop & ARB, alignment in spec. I rotated and balanced the tires and it now pulls slightly to the right at highway speed (70mph). Tire shop said I have uneven wear and hopefully it will sort itself out after a couple hundred miles on the new alignment and rotation. Will see.

Last edited:
I've got the exact same issue. 2003 with 2.5" OME lift & ARB, alignment in spec. I rotated and balanced the tires and it now pulls slightly to the right at highway speed (70mph). Tire shop said I have uneven wear and hopefully it will sort itself out after a couple hundred miles on the new alignment and rotation. Will see.

Highly recommend replacing those bushings if you haven't already. Definitely helps. Time permitting I'm going to re-index my t-bars and rotate the tires this weekend. I'll let you know if it helps.

I found one of my tbars was cranked more than another and so the lift was off by 1/2" and the truck pulled to the left. I leveled out the front bars and ensured I had 1" of rake down from rear to front and the pull went away. HTH
THIS^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom