After hours + weekend runs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Final after work ride:
I’m sure some of you already know but I will be moving back east, leaving Sunday. I meant to figure out a final ride either some point last weekend and this week but time has gotten ahead of me. I can’t appreciate this club enough for the people I’ve met and experiences I’ve had, I’m bummed I’ll be moving so far away but this has definitely motivated me to try to make something happen out east.

The final ride will be tomorrow Thursday the 31st at 6:30/6:45 meeting at the lower parking lot for fairy lake. I know it’s last minute but like I said time has gotten ahead of me. Looking forward to see all that tag along

Last edited:
Ethan, this is awesome. Just an FYI, there is a bridge out from floods last year on Independence pass/Blue Lake. There is 3rd hand info that guys have created a way around it. Not sure if it is just SxS making it through or full sized rigs. It is a must do trail in Montana. Let us know if you turn up any more info on it.

Ethan, this is awesome. Just an FYI, there is a bridge out from floods last year on Independence pass/Blue Lake. There is 3rd hand info that guys have created a way around it. Not sure if it is just SxS making it through or full sized rigs. It is a must do trail in Montana. Let us know if you turn up any more info on it.
Saw a trail report on OnX by someone in a “4x4” on July 8th as well as someone on the 11th but no vehicle note. So I’m figuring a full size can get up but I’m still asking around for any extra info

“There is a bridge washed out from the flooding last summer past Box Canyon at about Copper Creek. The county is responsible for replacing that bridge and we have not been informed when that will take place. Folks are illegally forging the creek and traveling to Independence, however, the creeks have been running pretty high so I do no know if that is even possible at this time. ”
- Jo Ann Harper at Custer National forest.

Maybe I can look into some gauge height charts for the area and see how deep it may be. No outside info from me yet. Looking like the gauge height is about 5.5’ near boulder MT, but I think the crossing is through the copper creek. Good chance I’ll go check it this weekend just to confirm if we can do it.

Last edited:
“There is a bridge washed out from the flooding last summer past Box Canyon at about Copper Creek. The county is responsible for replacing that bridge and we have not been informed when that will take place. Folks are illegally forging the creek and traveling to Independence, however, the creeks have been running pretty high so I do no know if that is even possible at this time. ”
- Jo Ann Harper at Custer National forest.

Maybe I can look into some gauge height charts for the area and see how deep it may be. No outside info from me yet
What makes it illegal? It seems if the road is open then it's open.

What makes it illegal? It seems if the road is open then it's open.
Well I think it’s “illegal” because you are creating a new path and not using the designated bridge that has been washed out. The forest service person would have told me you are not allowed if they didn’t want anyone going up. So I’m thinking we are allowed as long as we can make it.

I’m considering subbing independence pass for goose lake. Not sure if the club is still planning on doing a group run up there this month. I’m guessing Caruthers lake was going to be blue lake/independence pass? I’m going to scout the area this weekend but if the “illegal” water crossing seems too much then I will update the main post to plan on doing goose lake.

I’m considering subbing independence pass for goose lake. Not sure if the club is still planning on doing a group run up there this month. I’m guessing Caruthers lake was going to be blue lake/independence pass? I’m going to scout the area this weekend but if the “illegal” water crossing seems too much then I will update the main post to plan on doing goose lake.
interested to see how much snow you encounter.

For Independence, they have not declared an emergency closure, therefore it is open. If it is not strictly prohibited, it is fully permitted. The forest service told me that we can go at our own risk.

I have a friend from Billings who is doing the Goose Lake trail this weekend. Sadly I won't be able to make it, but can find out what the snow conditions are from him when he gets back.

Also, I'm in for Flathead Pass tomorrow evening.

Planning some trails after work this week and next if anyone is interested.

Friday 7/21/23 @ 6pm @ 45.97536, -111.04737 - Flathead pass plus I think there’s another trail at the top that goes up higher I’d like to check out.

Wednesday 7/26/23 @ 6/6:30pm @ 45.53725, -111.16124 - Little Bear/Wilson creek to Storm Castle then down Mica Mine and out from Storm Castle

Friday - Sunday 7/28 - 7/30
Independence Pass:

Camp Friday Night @ 45.4074, -110.19066
Start the trail from camp around 10am
OnX says about 5hrs for the trail
Camp at or near the top Saturday night
Start the trail back down around 10am Sunday Morning

Will update if I add anymore trails I plan on checking out soon.

My dogs said they want to go for a ride and I can drive. Flathead pass sounds good tonight, Friday at 6:00 some were on the Flat head pass road, right?

My dogs said they want to go for a ride and I can drive. Flathead pass sounds good tonight, Friday at 6:00 some were on the Flat head pass road, right?
Yea, here’s the pin: 45.97536, -111.04737
We will drive up and down the west side. The pin is right before you really get into it and if I remember it’s a pretty open spot. Figured it would be a good meeting spot. Looks like we got a good little group goin

It was a great evening for a little shot up flathead, only wildlife in site were the local cows. Thanks for joining up @4gotalot and @AirheadNut

IMG_2186.jpeg

Looking pretty good for Blue Lake/Independence Pass next weekend, I’ll update the main post with better details on camp and such. There’s really only one spot I’d recommend sliders at least. The bridge out go around is about 2’ deep at most, actually had to help out a dirt biker who fell in and flooded his motor. Shouldn’t be any issues for any of us. Also here’s a pic of the proposed campsite (if someone isn’t there)
IMG_2190.jpeg
IMG_2189.jpeg
IMG_2200.jpeg

Last edited:
Good to hear it's not too bad up there. The bridge out bypass doesn't look like a problem, I know that bridge. I wonder if/when the county will bother to fix it.

That's my favorite trail in the state so I'm happy it's still doable!
Yea it’s definitely going to be a hard one to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom