Advice on undercarriage rust treatment? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I had my car up on the lift and was changing the oil and greasing the zerks and noticed that the under carriage is starting to rust. I have had it just over a year and it was really clean underneath and no rust. I got the car from near riverside and I live close to the coast in San Diego so I am assuming the salt in the air is getting to it. Anyway, I am looking for advice/help with recommendations on how to treat this and what I should use, por15,fluid film etc...I know there are several post about it but I thought I could get better advice with the pictures for an accurate solution.

Its a 2000 LC with 81,000 miles

NFa4RxV.jpg

0Ktj6vt.jpg

IntgMir.jpg

K3Xw4KB.jpg

KABlbCN.jpg

Also when I was under thee I noticed there is a connector that is not connected to anything. It's right above the oil pain and under another connector. Any idea what it is?

re6z529.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Fluid Film, Boeshield T-9, or Amsoil Metal Protector Heavy Duty

Fluid Film always stays wet and greasy looking (re-application every 2 years in your environment, or every year if you live in the north)
T-9 goes on more clear and eventually cures dry and non-greasy to the touch (re-application every 2 years in your environment, or every year if you live in the north)
Amsoil is a more long term solution that cures dry in about 24 hours and gives at a minimum several 5+ years of protection. Has a more amber color than the other two.

Make sure you get an extension wand with a 360 degree tip to get it inside all the frame rail and really hard to reach areas (do not skip on this).

Since Amsoil HDMP is not sold in gallon and can't be applied with an undercoating gun, I used this extension wand directly mounted to the aerosol can and it works great:

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Spray-Extension-Wand/dp/B00CLUGXFI

For T9 or Fluid Film you can use any standard extension wand that attaches to an undercoating spray gun.

Similar to the wands found in this kit, they, along with the spray gun could be purchased separately:

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Undercoating-Gallon-bottles-everything/dp/B0048770KE

What rust? I do not see any rust.
Automatic carwash with undercarriage flush once a month.
Yeah I know it's pretty light in most areas but it is a big difference between when I first got it last year. The original exhaust didn't even have rust on it.

lTJbjc6.jpg

Just want to catch it early. Maybe I am over reacting...?

You are over reacting.
This is my truck, I am not worried in the least.
I live in the rust belt.
My truck will be long gone before this is an actual issue.
The rate at which your truck is "rusting", you have another 100yrs of life left in her.

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

You are over reacting.
This is my truck, I am not worried in the least.
I live in the rust belt.
My truck will be long gone before this is an actual issue.
The rate at which your truck is "rusting", you have another 100yrs of life left in her.

Now I just feel like an idiot for posting this :doh:
Anyway thanks for the advice guys

Also does anyone happen to know what the open connector hanging above the oil pain is?

You're not an idiot, you're bragging, and I hate you for it. ;)

I do not know what that plug is for. Plug it in and see what happens.

How did you find one with that low mileage?? NICE

Have there been any reports at all of frames breaking or any kind of structural damage on 100's due to excessive rust? You see it all the time on the Tacoma forums with those s***ty Dana frames but I don't think I've ever heard of a LC or a 4Runner boxed frame breaking due to rust.

4Runners have rust issues with the frames but I don't think it is as bad as the tacoma's. They seem to go at the rear lower control arm point. Mostly due to neglect though.

Oh and OP I hate you :) You should check out some New England trucks lol.

Also when I was under thee I noticed there is a connector that is not connected to anything. It's right above the oil pain and under another connector. Any idea what it is?

You're not an idiot, you're bragging, and I hate you for it. ;)

I do not know what that plug is for. Plug it in and see what happens.
Have same plug just hanging on the side. Can't find a place to plug it in...

How did you find one with that low mileage?? NICE
Actually have a really long crazy story about it but short version: I was extremely lucky and I got it from another mud member that lived in LA area. It had 75k when I bought it and there were a lot of guys trying to get it from the forum and nation wide so I figured I would lay low for a while so I wouldn't be murdered for being the one who got it. Guess the rust thing is nothing, it was just frustrating to see it be rust free for 17 years from the previous owner and then within a year start developing rust from the ocean salt in less than a year. I was gone for training for a few months on and off and I guess that was enough to start it.

I spray used motor oil and gear oil about 80:20 ratio. Then drive on a dirt road to settle dust to give a good hydrophobic layer. Spraying penetrating oil first will be the best, as the penetrating oil will run through all the hair-line like cracks. Make sure to use oil spray gun.

The rust issues the Taco's had was because the frame wasn't properly treated with anti corrosion inhibitors at the factory.
Ford had the same issue. And Nissan.

The rust issues the Taco's had was because the frame wasn't properly treated with anti corrosion inhibitors at the factory.
Ford had the same issue. And Nissan.
with spray on brine solutions they use for road treatments now i don't see how anything short of a plastic car can survive

T9...?

The same company that makes the fantastic but ultra expensive “bicycle lubricant...??
Yes. You can get it in a gallon and in bigger size containers.

Check out the infamous thread on the Raptor Forums.... T9, Amsoil HDMP and Fluid Film were the top three products all having similar performance.

I've used all three over the years and they are all fantastic. T9 goes on alot smoother than Fluid Film, it's clear, and once it cures you basically don't even know anything is on there. It's like 100/gallon but I used something like 15oz. in a spray gun to do my brother's IS-F so it's really not that terribly expensive. Less than $20 to do an average size undercarriage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom