Advice on CB radio. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys.
I need your advice.
I've been wanting a CB radio lately and since my anniversary is coming my wife offered me to buy me one.
While I was looking at reviews online to find out what would be best I found some comments that the CB community is dying and very few people is still using them.
Is that true? Is it worth to buy a CB? I think a HAM will be too much, not to mention the license. If you go out to the trails with a group, I think very few of them would have HAM, but that's my opinion.

BTW, the one that I liked the most was the Midland 75-822 because you can take it out nd use it as handheld.

Thanks in advance?

I've got this one mounted on my center console - now just collecting dust and banging my elbow. You can get a hand held dual band here for just about the same cost. Way more bang for the buck. Lots of info (and debate) on the forum about getting your HAM license.

$50 for 2? That is a good deal. But that's HAM, right? What isnthe power output on that thing?

It depends why you want the radio, CBs are great on or near highways, for truck to truck communications in convoy style. But they are limited to a narrow frequency and to need a long(ish) antenna and limited to 4 Watts power on AM. HAM can do all the things the CB can, but the frequencies are pretty much unlimited (with licensing) and a mobile truck rig can do 50 or even 100 watts. If you want long range communications and multiple frequencies, HAM will be significantly better. But, more expensive and you need to pass a test on basic communication protocols.

It depends why you want the radio, CBs are great on or near highways, for truck to truck communications in convoy style. But they are limited to a narrow frequency and to need a long(ish) antenna and limited to 4 Watts power on AM. HAM can do all the things the CB can, but the frequencies are pretty much unlimited (with licensing) and a mobile truck rig can do 50 or even 100 watts. If you want long range communications and multiple frequencies, HAM will be significantly better. But, more expensive and you need to pass a test on basic communication protocols.

Excuse my ignorance, but a HAM would cover the CB frequencies? Csn they talk to each other?

If it were me and I spent a good amount of time on the open highway and wanted to be able to get info from truckers I'd install a hardmount CB and antenna.

If your off-road adventures include other folks get what they have - I'd encourage 2m HAM. Getting the license is easy-peasy and the quality of communication clarity and range stomps CB.

Start with a stupid cheap Baofeng handheld then get a hardmount when $ permits. (Keep an eye out on CL and mud for folks upgrading a simple 2M rig to a fancier unit to save some $)

Excuse my ignorance, but a HAM would cover the CB frequencies? Csn they talk to each other?

Not legally. There are some radios that can be modded to have that capability though. The ham license is REALLY easy to get--using the app to study the answers for a week of throne time and you'll pass with a perfect score. Cost is 15 bucks. You can get an HT that runs up to 8 watts for the same money as those linked but the real capability is in the mobile rigs. I have an 8 watt baofeng and when couple to a cheap mag mount antenna, it will easily outperform any CB radio. Mobile rigs are way more capable.

As to usage, CB is still alive and well but most group events will have a mix of radios. I think a CB would be a great start into radio as it gives basic communication capability. If you find that you want\need more capability, then getting a ham tech license is an easy next step.

Thanks all for the advice.
I think that I'll start with a CB with a mag mount and go up drom there. Honestly I don't know how much I'll use it.

What do you do in your truck? Daily driver locally, longer range highway travel (solo or in a expedition/overland group), off-road with a group...?

Daily drive. Long distance travel a few of times in the year. Light off road. No group around that I know of.

A couple more questions. What about noaa weather report and emergency channels? Are those exclusive of CB radios?

A couple more questions. What about noaa weather report and emergency channels? Are those exclusive of CB radios?

No, NOAA frequencies are in the 162.XXX range and almost all VHF radios can receive those frequencies. Some Ham units will automatically tune to an emergency freq if NOAA transmits the severe weather alert tone--not sure if any CBs have that ability.

I have both in my cruiser and find that unless I am on the highway or want to monitor weather while operating the Ham radio, the CB is rarely on. Local CB traffic is not family friendly or useful in any way. The ham radio gets used daily either on a repeater conversation going to and from work or to monitor the Marine channels for bridge openings/closings.

I went with both HAM and CB. I wanted the capability to talk to anyone.
Like @KliersLC said, I've used HAM more on the road and CB on the trail....guess I have it backwards:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom