Advice on CB radio. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Late to the party, but I owned two Freightliner 18 wheel rigs and had the Cobra CB that had a weather channel as standard by flipping a switch. That unit is still in production and is a great CB. Very handy for road conditions, smokey reports, questions on the best place for fuel, eats, rest areas and other items. CB has it's share of foul mouth users on it but just turn it off when that trash talk gets going. My old CB license was KHB0043 back when the FCC issued a license for CB usage circa 1960's.

Having said that, I also have my General HAM license and agree with the above posters on it's value.

As far as a CB. They are still used and no licence is required. If you want one spend no more than $40 on the radio but get a good antenna and coax cable. Find someone with an SWR meter and tune the antenna.

As stated earlier Ham is much better but requires some effort to get the licence and you need to get everyone else to do it as well.

Rugged Radios sells commercial band radios that work well and do not require a test but you need to buy a licence and the radios cost more for what you get.

Good luck

Update.
Took the technician exam yesterday and passed easily. Bought a book on amazon for $15 that made the preparation process a breeze. Only 4 days of reading during my commute in the train.
Will get my license in about 10 days.
In the mean time I programmed my baofeng with all local repeaters and have been listening. With the nagoya antenna I can easily listen to repeaters at 40km with excellent audio quality. Don't know how far I can transmit yet.

Thank you all for your input.

Update.
Took the technician exam yesterday and passed easily. Bought a book on amazon for $15 that made the preparation process a breeze. Only 4 days of reading during my commute in the train.
Will get my license in about 10 days.
In the mean time I programmed my baofeng with all local repeaters and have been listening. With the nagoya antenna I can easily listen to repeaters at 40km with excellent audio quality. Don't know how far I can transmit yet.

Thank you all for your input.

Congratulations!

There is a tread on here to let us all know your new call sign when you get it and you may want to check out the link below. It is a good site for information and a place to find others if you know a name or call sign.

Callsign Database by QRZ Ham Radio

Got my call sign yesterday. KD9JVE. Updated the HAM list on the main thread.

Thanks all for great advice.
I'll be posting a lot of questions soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom