Advice For a First Time FJ60 Buyer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking for the right cruiser for a little over a year now, I have seen and test-driven a few trucks. One came up local to me the other week. I went and checked it out today, and now have a few questions from people who own these trucks. The good is it has 149,000 original miles and does not have rust on the frame. However, there is rust starting on the door sills and at one point the truck was painted and they lined the trunk with line X. I know that most of these cruisers have rust and it is part of owning them so I don't want to be too picky and pass on a good opportunity. That being said there is a gap in between the tailgate and the trunk of the car and there is some rust underneath the passenger seat on the floorboard right next to the wheel well. The last question I have is regarding the price, the owner is at $12,000 and I'm at 9,500 in my head. Is the price he's asking fair or is $9,500 the number I should stay at. All input would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a google drive folder of the photos.

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16oVXjf4DB_wmGV7ivw226ZyIRRcZR7wM

I couldn’t see the photos but I’ll tell you that any sort of spray-on bedliner is a huge red flag to me, especially if there’s visible rust. No telling what’s hiding under there. Low(ish) miles is great, sure, but I’d save your $9500 or $12000 and wait for a less dubious example.

The prices of used cars right now is sky high insane. And they’re just cars. Seller would be a fool to sell it for $9500.
But then again … the price of gasoline is going up up too ($6.98/Gal in my town) so these gas guzzlers are looking less and less attractive

Yuck yuck yuck. Be patient and always be willing to walk away. That’s a $5000 truck full of headaches. These trucks are sought after but it doesn’t mean you should buy into the crazy. You’ll find a better one just keep looking and be patient.

Also consider the 80 series FJ80 or FZJ80. They are not as crazy in price so you can get quite a bit more truck dollar for dollar as compared to a 60

I have been looking for the right cruiser for a little over a year now, I have seen and test-driven a few trucks. One came up local to me the other week. I went and checked it out today, and now have a few questions from people who own these trucks. The good is it has 149,000 original miles and does not have rust on the frame. However, there is rust starting on the door sills and at one point the truck was painted and they lined the trunk with line X. I know that most of these cruisers have rust and it is part of owning them so I don't want to be too picky and pass on a good opportunity. That being said there is a gap in between the tailgate and the trunk of the car and there is some rust underneath the passenger seat on the floorboard right next to the wheel well. The last question I have is regarding the price, the owner is at $12,000 and I'm at 9,500 in my head. Is the price he's asking fair or is $9,500 the number I should stay at. All input would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a google drive folder of the photos.

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16oVXjf4DB_wmGV7ivw226ZyIRRcZR7wM
Walk away..... That truck has seen some serious road salt. That punky rust near rear wheel wells is a huge undertaking. That area is a double
floor with a body mount directly forward of it. That tiny rust bubble is an entire door replacement. Body work on this
truck is an enormous job. The rear floor is hiding something. Did you pull up the carpets at all?
You'd be better off to find a solid $16-20K truck than this one cause I'd wager after 3-4 years that's how much
you'd spend on it just to get the body back. MHO of course, but there are better offerings out there. If you've taken this much time,
don't be impatient and let convenience get the better of you.

I'd like to note to others reading this thread, finding body panels and floor replacement pieces is really difficult for 60 series. I managed to
find a small rear quarter panel replacement piece for an exorbitant price. Its easy enough to build a patch, much more involved trying to
match body structure panels.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. Your input has been invaluable, I'm going to gear my search a bit more towards the west coast. It seems they are priced a bit more fairly and lack the rust issues that we have on the east coast.

Thank you all for your replies. Your input has been invaluable, I'm going to gear my search a bit more towards the west coast. It seems they are priced a bit more fairly and lack the rust issues that we have on the east coast.
You'll be glad you did! It's worth a bit of a road trip or to arrange transport to save yourself a ton of work.

My other advice is.....be willing to buy an airplane ticket to fly across the country if you find something far away. $500 to take a weekend and have a look at a truck might net you a winner or save you from blindly handing over $$$$$ for a wreck.

I'd also say stay away from east coast FJ60's. All the japanese cars built in the late 70's through the 80's will rust out in no time from the salt. The line X is a definite deal breaker for me...the rust can just spread underneath that stuff and you'll won't know until you can just push a finger through it. I'd stick to looking on this site for rigs - I wouldn't trust anyone outside of it for an east coast truck. Be open to looking in the southwest. Just realize if you do get a clean one you're basically not going to be able to drive it in the winter back there unless you're absolutely OCD about keeping it coated in fluid film and steam/pressure washing the underside on a regular basis. You'll have a pile of rusty ash in 5 years otherwise.

Info update: @GafferXL I'm not trying to hijack your thread but since some are paying attention. @TRAIL TAILOR
has offering of rear quarter replacement panels, I can only hope he broadens his scope on body panels. There is a huge
gap for 60 series. In the past I've been a huge CCOT fan, as I rebuilt my FJ40 with their panels. A phone conversation with
a rep there indicated basically everyone at CCOT is too old to continue, retiring out. To be honest I'd like to see Jason -
TRAIL TAILOR buy up all their body panel stuff and give it the attention it deserves. Its' almost too late for 60s'.
IMHO of course

Last edited:
I'd also say stay away from east coast FJ60's. All the japanese cars built in the late 70's through the 80's will rust out in no time from the salt. The line X is a definite deal breaker for me...the rust can just spread underneath that stuff and you'll won't know until you can just push a finger through it. I'd stick to looking on this site for rigs - I wouldn't trust anyone outside of it for an east coast truck. Be open to looking in the southwest. Just realize if you do get a clean one you're basically not going to be able to drive it in the winter back there unless you're absolutely OCD about keeping it coated in fluid film and steam/pressure washing the underside on a regular basis. You'll have a pile of rusty ash in 5 years otherwise.
Thank you for all this info. I have a Garage that I plan on keeping it in for the winter months. This car will not be daily driven during those months, for the reasons that you laid out.

Advise? Run away and don't look back on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom