Adjusting the rear diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

Recently I took my SUV to the mechanic to further diagnose the famous cluck sound coming from the drive shaft.

Surprisingly my mechanic said that there was a excessive free play in my rear diff. Of course I wanted to see for myself and found that he was correct. every time the gear was changed between D and R, the drive shaft would turn a bit without the wheels actually turning. At that moment you can hear the cluck sound as well.

So the question is, is there a way to easily adjust the free play in the differential? (I believe this must be between the crown wheel and pinion). I'm a bit worried as the diff is LSD.

I run a Toyota Cygnus 2005. I think this is the same as LX470 - 2005. Its the domestic model in Japan. Any help or suggestion please ?

Thanks

I doubt there is a way to adjust the rear diff, usually the clunk is caused by the U-Joints on the driveshaft ends. This is a common issue on the 100 series and is fixed by replacing the U-Joints or sometimes just greasing them.
My 100 series currently has this problem aswell.

Their full of crap. The lash on our rear gears is already set at the factory. It would whine like crazy if it was off. U joints are most likely the culprit.

Thanks for the quick response. Is there a way to check the condition of the U-joints? should I replace them?

Bucfl: I'm not very sure about the grade of the grease/oil for the U-joint. I think they put the standard stuff that they use for ball joints etc.

Also, check the play at the splined yoke/drive shaft interface. This wears and can induce slop in the drive train.

The backlash in the ring gear (crown wheel and pinion) is about 0.004 mm.
You can adjust it but have to remove rear 3rd member.

Check the U-joints and the splines. Grab one side of the U-joint with one hand and the other side by the other hand and twist it. It should NOT have any amount of free-play. Always use Toyota U-joints.

The backlash in the ring gear (crown wheel and pinion) is about 0.004 mm.
You can adjust it but have to remove rear 3rd member.

Check the U-joints and the splines. Grab one side of the U-joint with one hand and the other side by the other hand and twist it. It should NOT have any amount of free-play. Always use Toyota U-joints.

Thanks. I just didn't have much time last week to try this. I'm going to check this out over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom