Adding rock lights to the rock sliders using the leftover wire connectors (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found the heat shrink wire connectors difficult to work with. In particular, crimping the inside metal to hold the wire tight. I screwed up a few because I would crimp and not catch the wire tightly.
I used those exact connectors last night to wire my reverse lights on my bumper. Definitely using the right size will help. Also, use a heat gun, it will shrink quick and nice. I've tried a blow dryer and it just doesn't shrink as nice. Ill post up some pics in my thread today

I used those exact connectors last night to wire my reverse lights on my bumper. Definitely using the right size will help. Also, use a heat gun, it will shrink quick and nice. I've tried a blow dryer and it just doesn't shrink as nice. Ill post up some pics in my thread today
You are so right. My Wagner HT1000 heat gun kit arrived today along with heat soldering wire connectors in the right size 18-20 gauge. The heat gun worked great.

Also, these heat soldering wire connectors are much easier to use than the crimp ones. Basically, no crimping and there's solder inside that melts with the heat gun. So easy, even a caveman can do it.

I'll be updating the first post to recommend a heat gun and heat soldering wire connectors. I felt they were much easier to use.

Wagner HT1000 Heat Gun.jpg

Last edited:
I hate soldering and suck at it. Definitely gonna snag a box of those soldering connectors. They sound incredibly convenient for basic things like splicing wires together.

Love that Wagner heat gun. I use it a lot. Was super helpful for applying vinyl wrap to all of the wood grain trim pieces.

I hate soldering and suck at it. Definitely gonna snag a box of those soldering connectors. They sound incredibly convenient for basic things like splicing wires together.

Love that Wagner heat gun. I use it a lot. Was super helpful for applying vinyl wrap to all of the wood grain trim pieces.
Oh that’s a good point. I bought the wrap but haven’t installed

These rock light brackets seem like a bargain! If I had known about them, I would have purchased them instead of making my on wanna be brackets.

Update 2022-01-31 — waiting to see if they fit! It’s @sshevela fault for asking if they really fit the gx470 running board bolts.

1643343821099.png

Last edited:
Those CBI brackets are actually a pretty good price. I spent $20.00 on the aluminum bar I used to make my brackets. So $20.00 and an hour or 2 of time vs $26.00 for brackets made by people who know what their doing.
Luckily these brackets are tucked up under the body so no one can see my terrible handiwork.

Those CBI brackets are actually a pretty good price. I spent $20.00 on the aluminum bar I used to make my brackets. So $20.00 and an hour or 2 of time vs $26.00 for brackets made by people who know what their doing.
Luckily these brackets are tucked up under the body so no one can see my terrible handiwork.
I know what you mean due to my cheapo construction metal tie in brackets.

I couldn't resist getting professionally made CBI rock light brackets for $26 for 4, so I ordered them. I'm thinking the angle of the light will be better than the angle of my construction tie in straps. I only spent like $2 on those metal tie in straps, so it's easy for me to ditch them.

Hold on…waiting to see if the fit when they arrive..

Last edited:
I couldn't resist getting professionally made CBI rock light brackets for $26 for 4, so I ordered them. I'm thinking the angle of the light will be better than the angle of my construction tie in straps. I only spent like $2 on those metal tie in straps, so it's easy for me to ditch them.
I just ordered some too. Will these for sure work with out gx470s?

Lol…I might have been under the influence when I ordered. I updated the post with a caveat!

Lol…I might have been under the influence when I ordered. I updated the post with a caveat!
Crap… @sshevela cancel the order if you can. After re-reading the CBI section for these brackets…it looks like they are for the Prinsu rack.

I might have to drill a hole to make them fit right and improve the angle of the lights, but these were meant for the prinsu roof rack it seems.

Sorry for not noticing this when I ordered and posted. Egg on my face.

Crap… @sshevela cancel the order if you can. After re-reading the CBI section for these brackets…it looks like they are for the Prinsu rack.

I might have to drill a hole to make them fit right and improve the angle of the lights, but these were meant for the prinsu roof rack it seems.

Sorry for not noticing this when I ordered and posted. Egg on my face.

Hmm. I feel like these could still work, no? Just drill one single hole and mount the lights on the other side like its intended. Only thing Im worried about is how much the bracket is angled/ how long it is from the base. Dont want the light shining up at my face lol.

1643653271472.png

Terrible art but you get it.

$25 not much to lose. Well see who gets them first 😈

I went outside to check and you may be right about making it work with that one extra hole.

The leg of my OPOR rock slider partially blocks one of the mount points, but there are several other mount points left over from the oem running board bolts.

We’ll see. I originally thought these were bolt on rock light brackets for the running board mount points.

And we’ll have to play with the angle so it’s pointing down towards the desired direction.

I mean, the brackets won't be a "direct bolt on no thinking required" product but drilling and cutting sheet metal is possibly the easiest task possible so they could work.

I mean, the brackets won't be a "direct bolt on no thinking required" product but drilling and cutting sheet metal is possibly the easiest task possible so they could work.
Right…I’m just saying when I posted originally…I thought I found the direct bolt on solution with no thinking required! Lol

@sshevela These CBI rock light brackets have an estimated 2-week lead time per the sale order that I just got via e-mail from CBI. They asked if I had a problem with the order to contact them, so I kindly asked for a refund. I honestly thought these were bolt-on until you made me realize these were Prinsu roof rack brackets that will require some modification.

While I could have drilled a hole and experiment, I decided to abort the mission. Just letting you know that I'm leaving you dry and high! Again, sorry for leading you astray, but keep us posted if you proceed and figure out a way to make those Prinsu rock light brackets work.

When I first saw the drawing of the brackets, I thought the big hole was the hole to hold the running board bolt and the little holes to hold the rock light. Upon a sober inspection of the drawing, I realized I had my holes mixed up!

@sshevela These CBI rock light brackets have an estimated 2-week lead time per the sale order that I just got via e-mail from CBI. They asked if I had a problem with the order to contact them, so I kindly asked for a refund. I honestly thought these were bolt-on until you made me realize these were Prinsu roof rack brackets that will require some modification.

While I could have drilled a hole and experiment, I decided to abort the mission. Just letting you know that I'm leaving you dry and high! Again, sorry for leading you astray, but keep us posted if you proceed and figure out a way to make those Prinsu rock light brackets work.

When I first saw the drawing of the brackets, I thought the big hole was the hole to hold the running board bolt and the little holes to hold the rock light. Upon a sober inspection of the drawing, I realized I had my holes mixed up!

No worries @HomersCanyonero! Im going to give them a try, I currently dont have anything setup for rocklights so brackets just sitting around will motivate me to do the install.

Today I learned: Dont mix your holes :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom