Adding courtesy lights to sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the things I always missed when I swapped out the Lexus running boards for Slee sliders was the cool courtesy lights that came out automatically when you unlocked the doors. These were actually quite practical when approaching the car in darkness (e.g., my parents unlit driveway.)

So after peeking around under the truck a bit, I decided to try to use the factory wiring plug for the courtesy lights along with the running board mounting nutserts to add back my own courtesy lights.

I added a single 10watt LED pod on each side, which now come on exactly as the original factory courtesy lights did--well, much brighter versions of the factory ones that is :D

I'm very happy with the result. Since I used the factory plugs, it is literally plug-and-play. If I ever want to remove them, just unplug and, unbolt a single bolt.

I positioned the lights above one of the "feet" on the sliders that connects the slider to the frame. I figured that this would give an extra level of protection to the lights from unwanted objects.

here are a couple of pics. I'm still trying to figure out how to share a video of them coming on and off...

20130722_215208.jpg

20130722_232312_LLS.jpg

20130722_232530.jpg

Last edited:
I like the mod. No reason for sliders to not have courtesy lights.

Unrelated, but in the second pic, it looks like your trailing arms might be slightly bent?

Unrelated, but in the second pic, it looks like your trailing arms might be slightly bent?

That is certainly true. I stopped worrying about them being straight a while back. Those are the "heavy duty" ones that I used to replace the factory ones that were previously bent. Both sides are about the same now, I figure they are my DIY high-clearance arms. They've kept about the same shape for the last 1+ year, so i figure they are now appropriately "clearanced". :D

I like it! I thought about doing that several years ago but, never got around to checking if the plug on my 2000 works, since it didn't come with running board lights like the later years. Now you just gotta get them to strobe when you drive down the road.

When I bought my LC, the running boards were already removed... any chance this was an option on the LC? I don't recall seeing any wires/connector loose, but I like this for several reasons.. including working on the truck in the dark in an emergency.

Nice, I want to do the same to my LX. Figured I better use the plugs just sitting there since I removed my running boards. Where did you get the LED's at? Did you have to create your own harnesses? Or did you pull them out of the running boards?

But call them "Rock Lights" instead and then they're cool?

You might be onto something more than just sarcasm here.

It would be cool to setup an auxiliary switch that would turn on the ‘rock lights’ independently of the door switch.

Nice. I had always planned to take out the light strips on the factory running boards to do this. I liked the way they fade on and off.

Very cool!

It would be cool to setup an auxiliary switch that would turn on the ‘rock lights’ independently of the door switch.

Exactly what I thought when I started reading this. That would be brilliant. Literally.

Klaus, I'd be curious to know if/where you locate said wiring.
:)
Thanks

Nice, I want to do the same to my LX. Figured I better use the plugs just sitting there since I removed my running boards. Where did you get the LED's at? Did you have to create your own harnesses? Or did you pull them out of the running boards?

I ordered the 10W LED pods from amazon--they are supposedly ip68, which made me feel better about them being mounted exposed to water/dirt.

I build the wiring harness myself using the plug from the running board (i.e., I cut the plug from the factory step, and then measured, and built the cable and sheathing for it to match the need.)

That is exactly what I've also been thinking. I have 2 more 10w pods left that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. I could find a place for them underneath the truck as well, add them to this circuit, and also hook up an "override" switch to operate the lights separately. Only reason I did not do this right away was that I didn't want to start running extra wires from the cab the other night. The courtesy piece was true plug-and-play.

Where did you get the 10w LED pods?

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F7CZFC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They look like a knock off the Vision 2" Solistice Pod (but just a "little" cheaper):

http://www.amazon.com/Vision-XIL-S1101-Solstice-Square-Flood/dp/B001TQ7TH6/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1374719108&sr=1-3&keywords=vision+x+solstice+solo

Nice. I had always planned to take out the light strips on the factory running boards to do this. I liked the way they fade on and off.

The fade on and fade off still works... and looks alot cooler to my eyes now that there is more light there--not to mention it is far more functional now the things really get lit up.

Also, here is a link to the brief video of them coming on-off in a lit garage (the effect is expectedly more pronounced when in a fully dark locale.):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNbKMt7wY0Y&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom