ACSD: The Mysterious device.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought the IP in the 1HDT has its own built-in primer pump, No??
If you were to install an inline pump, which type/brand do you guys recommend. What discharge rate should it be? Any parts number/pic? (from Napa or others)
This thread has been very educational actually..

I would love to do this but appartently MUD will only host pictures for a few years because all the pics are gone now so not much help :/

I use a Wlabro FRP-5 for mine. Its a bit noisy, which freaked me out at first, it has constant clicking due to the reciprocal style, but you cant hear it over the engine. It does make priming the system much easier.

Tackled this today with my auto transmission 1HDT. The pump had been rebuilt last year but I spaced on asking the shop to remove it during the rebuild. Anyhow, took the kickdown cable bracket off to get to it. Used a 6" 5mm key with a grip (Park bike tool) after spraying PB blaster on the allen keys the night before.

Took a 12mm box wrench to pull the spring back, hit the top bolt with a 3" ball-end key, then hit the lower bolt with the long-handled key. Dumped about a cup of fuel into a bucket when it came off. Then I cut the coolant hoses off the ACSD unit since they were seemingly fused onto it and joined them with a 3/8" coolant line joiner from the auto shop using the existing clamps.

Used the 5mm ACSD bolts on the blanking plate and used the existing o-ring from the ACSD. It was practically new. Easy-ish job minus all the big hands in small places and anxiety of trying to get those bolts off. The shop really torqued them down.

Pumped the filter primer and it fired right up. There was a noticeable difference in idling and warm up smoke. I advanced the IP 1mm a few months back and it made a huge difference but this made it an even quieter and less smokey truck.

My apartment is up a 200' steep ass hill and usually, I'm driving up it while the truck is still warming up, so it smokes out the Priuses behind me pretty good. Tonight there was a huge difference. If you haven't done this, I highly recommend it.

59616578297__D1E145DC-03E2-4BE4-BD7D-D8D7AE1E9B50.JPG

Last edited:
So I have a leaky ACSD and I have not got a blanking plate, and o-ring. Can I take it off and blank then leave it for a while before I get the IP timing checked or does it need to be ASAP?

From what I understand the acsd only changes timing when it is very cold Like sub zero when it is not freezing out timing is the same. I would get a pump rebuilt when you have the time and $$ but i dont see any meed to check timing unless u are having issues with how it runs.

So I have a leaky ACSD and I have not got a blanking plate, and o-ring. Can I take it off and blank then leave it for a while before I get the IP timing checked or does it need to be ASAP?

It’s now removed. However I mistakenly removed the lower advance timing cover plate and mid way through realised it was the wrong thing. It didn’t come all the way off and the springs stayed in place. I tightened it up again, now it has been loosed was I okay to just tighten it up and start truck again?

It’s now removed. However I mistakenly removed the lower advance timing cover plate and mid way through realised it was the wrong thing. It didn’t come all the way off and the springs stayed in place. I tightened it up again, now it has been loosed was I okay to just tighten it up and start truck again?
Yes that's fine, as long as all the springs/shims are still in place all is ok.
Same for the ACSD, you don't need to get your pump timing checked after you remove it because it doesn't actually change your timing. All the ACSD does is advance the timing when your coolant temp is below normal operating temp. Once up to temp the ACSD has zero effect on the pump and by removing it the same occurs. Some people find it becomes a bit harder to start their engines after doing so which is the reason why some choose to bump up their timing a tad after ACSD removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom