AC connection opened To be concerned? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
100 series, 2000, 210K.
Parked in the snow this morning, idling. Loud pop.

At first I thought a hose or the radiator, but thankfully it's not that.

The AC hardline popped out. Refrigerant leaked obviously. I don't think this affects anything else though would you agree?

Why would it pop?
IMG_8594.jpeg

The bolt is missing. That's wild! Did it break off inside? Or is it completely gone?
Bolt popped out. I know it's a skinny bolt but wow. No effect on cooling system that I can think. No ac but no cares about that as long as I can get home.

Find another bolt and put it back together to avoid contaminating the system. If you get junk in there it could end up costing you. If you can't find a bolt get some rubber plugs.

Hook back up or plug, as suggested. Don't run AC. Risk is; AC compressor runs without adequate oil, may damage it.

I can't find a skinny bolt that will fit, perhaps if I inserted it, use a wire tie or two, then put some refrigerant in. 🤷‍♂️

Will the compressor run with low pressure?
Good point, no it won't. Provided no pressure to high side. But once it's hooked back up, vacuumed and charged. System likely will be low on oil. So best if adds a few oz. of oil during charge. If run low on oil, can damage compressor. If to much oil, cooling with not be peak.

Last edited:
I can't find a skinny bolt that will fit, perhaps if I inserted it, use a wire tie or two, then put some refrigerant in. 🤷‍♂️
Its not necessary to put any refrigerant in before you have the right bolt in there - it would leak out anyway. Just ensure the openings are sealed so no dirt or oil get in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom