AC Compressor Died. Need help with a parts list 97 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you saw last week that my AC compressor died and also took out my Speedo fuse on the way down to vacation. Now it's time to begin another project. Can someone provide me with a list of parts you recommend that I buy, along with the compressor, so that I can just take care of any neighboring parts so I don't ever have to worry about messing with this thing for, hopefully, another 23 years? I saw a few threads that had some items while others had other items so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything when I order the parts. Btw in the pic you'll see where a leak is circled. Thanks in advance.
67499FFB-FE72-45D8-BFFA-0A4C9FBE637A.jpeg

Depending on how far you want to go with it, here's a list.

88711-60360 Discharge hose
88704-60050 Suction hose
88716-6A410 Pipe
4711166 Denso Compressor (From RockAuto)
4770554 Denso Condensor (From RockAuto)
4760045 Denso Evaporator Core (From RockAuto)
4752005 Denso Expansion Valve (From RockAuto)
4780503 Denso Dryer (From RockAuto)
26749 Four Seasons O-ring kit (From RockAuto)
9990101 Denso Refrigerent Oil (From RockAuto)

That's if you're ok with non-Toyota parts. However, that's pretty much the same list I bought for mine and no issues so far.

Depending on how far you want to go with it, here's a list.

88711-60360 Discharge hose
88704-60050 Suction hose
88716-6A410 Pipe
4711166 Denso Compressor (From RockAuto)
4770554 Denso Condensor (From RockAuto)
4760045 Denso Evaporator Core (From RockAuto)
4752005 Denso Expansion Valve (From RockAuto)
4780503 Denso Dryer (From RockAuto)
26749 Four Seasons O-ring kit (From RockAuto)
9990101 Denso Refrigerent Oil (From RockAuto)

That's if you're ok with non-Toyota parts. However, that's pretty much the same list I bought for mine and no issues so far.
Thanks for the break down and part numbers. How long has it been since you installed some of these parts on your rig? I'd prefer OEM but I've got no problem with Denso if I can't get my hands on an OEM part.

No worries. Like some of the other members, I have a spreadsheet with part numbers, prices (subject to change), and descriptions. :rofl:

I replaced all of it last summer. It started with the evaporator core and when it only slowed down the leak, I ran the dye through it. Needless to say, after finding leaks at all of the connections, around the compressor and at the bottom of the condensor, I went with the nuclear option and just replaced everything all in one go. Problem solved. Monday was the first day in the 70s here so I gave it a test on the way home. Nice and cool.

No worries. Like some of the other members, I have a spreadsheet with part numbers, prices (subject to change), and descriptions. :rofl:

I replaced all of it last summer. It started with the evaporator core and when it only slowed down the leak, I ran the dye through it. Needless to say, after finding leaks at all of the connections, around the compressor and at the bottom of the condensor, I went with the nuclear option and just replaced everything all in one go. Problem solved. Monday was the first day in the 70s here so I gave it a test on the way home. Nice and cool.
I hear yuh. My parts number list is growing quite rapidly lol. I'm glad to hear everything is working properly for you.

At minium. Expansion Valve (on Evaporator Core in dash) Reciever/Dryer (Behind Bumper), I did Condensor (In front of Radiator) and Compressor. Pull a Vacuum (Rent Vacuum Pump Autozone) and fill with UV Dye in Oil and proper amount of Refrigerant. Each component took me 1 night after work to replace. Be very careful with dash. Parts nearly impossible to replace.

Get DENSO parts on Rock Auto.com. They are OEM Supplier and hard to beat their prices.

At minium. Expansion Valve (on Evaporator Core in dash) Reciever/Dryer (Behind Bumper), I did Condensor (In front of Radiator) and Compressor. Pull a Vacuum (Rent Vacuum Pump Autozone) and fill with UV Dye in Oil and proper amount of Refrigerant. Each component took me 1 night after work to replace. Be very careful with dash. Parts nearly impossible to replace.
Get DENSO parts on Rock Auto.com. They are OEM Supplier and hard to beat their prices.
Thanks for the info. And the fact that each part took you one night after work to replace gives me some relief. Also, thanks for bringing up the vacuum. I was a bit confused about that when I read some threads mentioning it.

You have to have a Gauge Set.
These are my actual Numbers from when I did mine.
DO NOT OPEN HIGH SIDE WHILE FILLING ELSE CAN BECOMES BOMB.
Gages.JPG

Pulling the box from underneath the dash for the expansion valve and evaporator core is also a good time to clean out all the leaves and crap that end up down there. There was a bunch of crap in mine.

You have to have a Gauge Set.
These are my actual Numbers from when I did mine.
DO NOT OPEN HIGH SIDE WHILE FILLING ELSE CAN BECOMES BOMB.
That's really close to my numbers afterwards as well.

I did this last summer and did exactly what has been recommended. All Denso parts off of RockAuto. Took me about 6 hours to get everything done. I had experience working with a vacuum pump and manifold gauge set, so that helped me move a little quicker.

If you're on a budget when replacing the compressor, R&R the dryer along with it and be done.

Is there a good write-up somewhere for doing work like this for the AC system? Specifically how to add oil and recharge the system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom