About to pull the trigger on a LOKKA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This could be a great option for guys wanting lockers without spending serious coin.

In my case the interest would be to go part time while retaining a minimum of 2WD. Added benefit of locker when engaging 4WD (at least 3 wheels being driven).

In my case the interest would be to go part time while retaining a minimum of 2WD. Added benefit of locker when engaging 4WD (at least 3 wheels being driven).

If I like the way the rear lokka works I'm thinking about doing their part time kit and putting their lokka in the front too......have a poor man's triple locked cruiser!

Maybe it's been discussed here already, but what is your reason for wanting to go part-time?

Not a knock, just wondering. I've run with my front drive shaft out before and decided I just preferred the way it drove with AWD.

Maybe it's been discussed here already, but what is your reason for wanting to go part-time?

Not a knock, just wondering. I've run with my front drive shaft out before and decided I just preferred the way it drove with AWD.

For me it's just so I can put the Lokka up front, it's the only way you can do it with the 100 series being AWD without free wheeling hubs.

Unless you're installing a LSD in the front, you won't find a 100 with an LSD in the front. They were rear-only for the earlier model LXs.
Yes that was implied. You won't find a stock 100 with a LOKKA either :p

What about LOKKA in the rear and LSD in the front for the ultimate poor-man's setup?

I think it's definitely do-able. Detroit locker in the rear and TrueTrac in the front was and maybe still is a popular option with Land Rovers, especially the Discovery I and II.

Rear lokka in a full time 4x4 is basically un-noticable without CDL locked. I wouldn't be comfortable having one in the front axle due to how difficult it is to steer a truck when front diff is locked and you're under power

Rear lokka in a full time 4x4 is basically un-noticable without CDL locked. I wouldn't be comfortable having one in the front axle due to how difficult it is to steer a truck when front diff is locked and you're under power

I think that's why you have to install the part time kit. So that your front hubs can freewheel with the Lokka in the front ....at least I think so diffs confuse me sometimes.

If I understand right you could lock your hubs in, and the LOKKA wouldn't matter until you hit the center diff button which would engage 4wd

Last edited:
I think that's why you have to install the part time kit. So that your front hubs can freewheel with the Lokka in the front ....at least I think so diffs confuse me sometimes.

If I understand right you could lock your hubs in, and the LOKKA wouldn't matter until you hit the center diff button which would engage 4wd

I think the only issue with that is that your only options would be 2wd or triple locked 4wd. There are definitely times you wouldn't want to be fully locked when off road. Also, and straying off topic a little, being triple locked would be sub optimal in the snow.

Of course the suitability of these options boils down to where you live and what you do with your rig.

I think the only issue with that is that your only options would be 2wd or triple locked 4wd. There are definitely times you wouldn't want to be fully locked when off road. Also, and straying off topic a little, being triple locked would be sub optimal in the snow.

Of course the suitability of these options boils down to where you live and what you do with your rig.

My understanding is that when off road if you lock your front hubs in the Lokka should still allow a differential action between the front wheels when turning ( I wouldn't trust this on the road, but on trails I would think it would be fine in most situations) In this situation the front drive components are turning, but aren't being turned by the engine, only by the front wheels rolling as you go along so the Lokka should disengage when you go around a corner

When you hit the center diff button you would then be in 4WD and the engine would turn the front wheels which when you are on the gas the Lokka would lock together and you'd be in triple lock mode. This isn't ideal in all situations off road and I can see why some people wouldn't want it. It would be annoying to get out of the truck and unlock the hubs every time you needed to turn a tight uphill corner on a trail.

I'm hesitant to do this because what if I was in a situation where I only wanted the rear locked, and need to turn a corner in 4WD without the front being locked and fighting me. Or if you just needed open diff 4WD mode to turn a tight corner off road. You lose that capability with these lockers

My understanding is that when off road if you lock your front hubs in the Lokka should still allow a differential action between the front wheels when turning ( I wouldn't trust this on the road, but on trails I would think it would be fine in most situations) In this situation the front drive components are turning, but aren't being turned by the engine, only by the front wheels rolling as you go along so the Lokka should disengage when you go around a corner

When you hit the center diff button you would then be in 4WD and the engine would turn the front wheels which when you are on the gas the Lokka would lock together and you'd be in triple lock mode. This isn't ideal in all situations off road and I can see why some people wouldn't want it. It would be annoying to get out of the truck and unlock the hubs every time you needed to turn a tight uphill corner on a trail.

I'm hesitant to do this because what if I was in a situation where I only wanted the rear locked, and need to turn a corner in 4WD without the front being locked and fighting me. Or if you just needed open diff 4WD mode to turn a tight corner off road. You lose that capability with these lockers

I think you're correct on all points. I've given quite a bit of thought to the various options and for me, selectable lockers are the answer. I plan to find a locked rear end from a 98 or 99 and swap it over to my 01. If I ever really need my front locked, I guess Harrop is the only choice.

Back to Lokka, Jock on 4WD 24/7 put them in the front and rear of his budget Hilux build and proceeded to wheel the crap out of it. Of course, that was a dedicated trail build that probably won't see many highway miles. There was some good info about Lokka in that episode as I recall.

I think you're correct on all points. I've given quite a bit of thought to the various options and for me, selectable lockers are the answer. I plan to find a locked rear end from a 98 or 99 and swap it over to my 01. If I ever really need my front locked, I guess Harrop is the only choice.

Back to Lokka, Jock on 4WD 24/7 put them in the front and rear of his budget Hilux build and proceeded to wheel the crap out of it. Of course, that was a dedicated trail build that probably won't see many highway miles. There was some good info about Lokka in that episode as I recall.

I'll definitely have to check out that video.

I really want to go Harrop lockers front and rear, but I can't spend that kind of money right now. Maybe eventually, but this seems like a cheap option to keep me out of trouble in the woods during hunting season, and off road camping with the kids. The more I think about the part time system the less I want to go that route. Just having the rear will probably be enough for me the way I wheel this truck.

This video of a Hilux with front and rear lockers (before and after) is a great demo of the dramatic change they can have.

I'll definitely have to check out that video.

I really want to go Harrop lockers front and rear, but I can't spend that kind of money right now. Maybe eventually, but this seems like a cheap option to keep me out of trouble in the woods during hunting season, and off road camping with the kids. The more I think about the part time system the less I want to go that route. Just having the rear will probably be enough for me the way I wheel this truck.

This video of a Hilux with front and rear lockers (before and after) is a great demo of the dramatic change they can have.

I'm on a tight budget too, that why when I decide to get serious with lockers I'll be swapping the rear from a locked 98-99. I can do that myself and hopefully have a bunch of money.

A winch is much higher on my priority list. I've wheeled my entire life in vehicles with either open diffs or at best traction control and I've never not been able to get where I wanted. A winch to get myself out of whatever trouble I may get myself in will be a good addition and will give me a little more peace of mind when I've got the whole family out.

I'm on a tight budget too, that why when I decide to get serious with lockers I'll be swapping the rear from a locked 98-99. I can do that myself and hopefully have a bunch of money.

A winch is much higher on my priority list. I've wheeled my entire life in vehicles with either open diffs or at best traction control and I've never not been able to get where I wanted. A winch to get myself out of whatever trouble I may get myself in will be a good addition and will give me a little more peace of mind when I've got the whole family out.
I think your head is in the right place! I started with a cheapo winch (SmittyBilt) mounted behind my stock tupperware bumper. That alone hugely improved my offroad experience! I started pushing my truck with open front and factory LSD a lot more because I knew I had a winch to bail me out. Quite frankly I rarely used it!
A factory locked rear can be had for $500 shipped to your door and another $200 in harness and stuff and you will be damn near unstoppable. Swap can easily be done on your driveway by yourself. Having a buddy to help would make it even easier.

I have a complete front diff with Harrop eLocker sitting in my garage for 2 months now and I have yet to find motivation (and time) to put it on.

I think your head is in the right place! I started with a cheapo winch (SmittyBilt) mounted behind my stock tupperware bumper. That alone hugely improved my offroad experience! I started pushing my truck with open front and factory LSD a lot more because I knew I had a winch to bail me out. Quite frankly I rarely used it!
A factory locked rear can be had for $500 shipped to your door and another $200 in harness and stuff and you will be damn near unstoppable. Swap can easily be done on your driveway by yourself. Having a buddy to help would make it even easier.

I have a complete front diff with Harrop eLocker sitting in my garage for 2 months now and I have yet to find motivation (and time) to put it on.

Where are you finding these locked rears? I looked for about a month locally and on ebay and couldn't find anything. Every one was a unit with an open rear labeled as "locking rear" or the yard refused to take a picture of the locker switch in the dash. I found one I think but it was rusty as hell and was around $800, that's why I even started looking at Lokkas.

As for the winch I agree, I'd probably be better with that, maybe. At this point I don't want to have that extra weight on the front end with my AHC ( I already have a bumper) until I upgrade the suspension (when the AHC fails)

I think I'd rather have a locked rear and not get stuck in the first place ( or be a lot less likely to) than deal with having to winch out, but I will eventually add a winch.

Where are you finding these locked rears? I looked for about a month locally and on ebay and couldn't find anything. Every one was a unit with an open rear labeled as "locking rear" or the yard refused to take a picture of the locker switch in the dash. I found one I think but it was rusty as hell and was around $800, that's why I even started looking at Lokkas.

As for the winch I agree, I'd probably be better with that, maybe. At this point I don't want to have that extra weight on the front end with my AHC ( I already have a bumper) until I upgrade the suspension (when the AHC fails)

I think I'd rather have a locked rear and not get stuck in the first place ( or be a lot less likely to) than deal with having to winch out, but I will eventually add a winch.

Not faulting your logic at all, however, FWIW, I believe AHC can handle both a bumper and winch. You would probably have to adjust the torsion bars and check the AHC pressures with Techstream or similar to tweak it as necessary.

Not faulting your logic at all, however, FWIW, I believe AHC can handle both a bumper and winch. You would probably have to adjust the torsion bars and check the AHC pressures with Techstream or similar to tweak it as necessary.

Maybe you're right, I was actually surprised that I was barely out of spec pressures after adding the bumper. I think I needed like 3 turns on the bars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom