Builds A Troopy Finds Its Owner (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@roscoFJ73 ..... " it can only be a lack of training. "
------------------------------------------------------------------------
..... or a lack of quality control, craftsmanship and a serious deficit of "give a damn".

Hello Mudders,

My power steering box has had a leak for two or three years, although it was never serious. I was never satisfied with that, and found it a bit of a challenge to find all the necessary seals, gaskets, O-rings, etc., but i didn't try too hard. CruiserAddiction scored a steering box from a BJ73, which fit no problem. The only difference, as per Toyota manuals, is the minimum pressure required: the HZJ75 one wants 1209psi (8336 kPa), while the BJ73's requires 1067psi (7355 kPa).
The replacement box fit no problem, it came off a vehicle with 160,000km, has no leaks, and works a bloody charm. Very happy about that.
The mechanic i go to in southern Ontario, while not a diesel type, is fantastic: tell him of an issue and he'll find it. My front end would wiggle every so often (especially under braking and once recently rather disturbingly), and he looked and found the damned culprit: the nuts and lock nuts holding the front axle hub bearings were loose. You always leave his place with an improved car; mine feels wonderfully tight now. I also replaced the tires as i had about 82,000k on the five old ones. They would've been fine for another season if it was spring, but it ain't spring. Got the same size, make and model. Love the peace of mind (also replaced the engine oil, its filter, and the gear oil).
He also found that my right front brake caliper was seized, and happened to have a pair of calipers from an '88 4Runner that matched. Awesome. I still want to replace the front rotors, and therefore calipers, as the brake shoes do not cover the exterior circumference of the rotors (about 5 or 6 mm of it).
As an aside, my car's VIN is nearly useless (i might as well get custom licence plates that say, 'FRANKENSTEIN'), since so much of it has been replaced.

Last edited:
My car aboard the Cape May-Lewes ferry.
20181202_150643.jpg

Another ferry ride, this one between Port Bolivar and Galveston.

20181210_113713.jpg

Hello Gunrunner,

I already did, i think it was Alabama; fresh-water catfish. I didn't complain, let me assure you.

I should have thought of this while at Odd Iron, but in any case, does anyone know where i can find an oil filter for a 1HZ in New Mexico or Arizona? Preferably on the south side of things as i'm on the I10.

90915-30002. You should be able to get one through a Toyota dealer. Find one on your route a couple days out and call ahead to order it.

Thank you, CruiserDan!

Lots and lots of older vehicles, the vast majority being Toyotas (mostly pick-ups and some sedans), heading east on I10, mostly in pairs as in the picture but not always. Asked one driver about that, says he gets them in Guatemala and sells in the U.S.

20181212_095309.jpg

Lots and lots of older vehicles, the vast majority being Toyotas (mostly pick-ups and some sedans), heading east on I10, mostly in pairs as in the picture but not always. Asked one driver about that, says he gets them in Guatemala and sells in the U.S.

View attachment 1852766

That’s really funny because on the I5 I’ve seen the same thing. Lots of Toyota pickups going to Venezuela and to Guatamala and now it seems like some bring them back haha

I should have thought of this while at Odd Iron, but in any case, does anyone know where i can find an oil filter for a 1HZ in New Mexico or Arizona? Preferably on the south side of things as i'm on the I10.
They were sitting on the shelf. :)

GunRunner, I KNOW! You don't have to kick me, i'm doing it myself.

But no worries all the same, i called a dealership this afternoon after CruiserDan told me the obvious, and there'll be my filter in Tucson tomorrow. I have to go there anyway, so all is good.
The simplest solutions are often the best ones, very impressed by people like CruiserDan. And a bloody quick response, too! BIG thank you to the Mud mob.

That’s really funny because on the I5 I’ve seen the same thing. Lots of Toyota pickups going to Venezuela and to Guatamala and now it seems like some bring them back haha
)
Salty(ahem)Coconuts,

From only a quick look, and having spent some time in some less-than-fortunate countries, i'd say these vehicles are worn to ratcrap; one thing they'd be good for, once again from only a quick peek, is the bodies, as i saw no rust.

Have installed LEDs, that i picked up from Rob Smith of Odd Iron. A visit i consider time very well spent. As well as the funds.
First off, four bulbs in the dashboard instrument panel yield glorious results. I did not replace the bulbs in the indicator lights (turn signals, batteries, etc) as i've no issue seeing those.
20181218_194308.jpg

I did want to have before-and-after pictures, but most of the 'before' ones turned out lame and useless. First one is marker lights only, second is markers and 4-ways.
Rob provided a replacement for the flasher; the clicking sounds it makes are much quieter and, uh, smooth is the word that comes to mind. Funny thing is that it has me thinking it makes it sound like a luxury car.
20181218_193941.jpg
20181218_193953.jpg

Last edited:
Reverse lights actually provide lighting for the driver. Mind you, i do have four of them.
20181218_194154.jpg

I finally got LED headlights too, Truck Lite's 27270C. I wanted the 27275C's, but the additional expense was a bit much, and finally a pal convinced me that the additional 300-400 (Canadian) dollars for those wouldn't compensate for the odd occasion when one would have to clean frost off the lenses.
First picture, low beams before; second picture, low beams now.
20181213_184104.jpg
20181218_195343(1).jpg

First picture, old high beams; second one, LED high beams. These pictures might not do them justice, but it is a fantastic difference.
20181213_184117.jpg
20181218_195405(1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom