A novice tackles the head gasket thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hang in there, and think now you get to drink another 20 pack of russian stout. Where are you that the snow is flying?

:doh: i bet your in detroit

its early

I don't want to get ahead of myself but... I think I'm done! Got the fuel rail back in using something similar to the string trick. I will upload pics tomorrow. Just let it run for 15 min, took it for a 5 mile drive... All is good. Longer test tomorrow

**beer time**

Best part: wife is sick so I watched the kids all day while she slept. I was chomping at the bit all day to work on it...so when she emerged from her cave at 6pm, I told her "this should take 2 hours max!" and she said "uh huh....heard that before"

And I really was done in 2 hours!

Just have to get the hood back on and top off the coolant

What was the reason the injector was leaking?

No idea. Maybe it just didn't seat properly... maybe the o-ring rolled/pinched when I inserted it into the rail?

I pulled them all, cleaned them up. Put a tiny dab of lube on them... Really tiny... And reinstalled. All good this time...

Here's how I got the fuel rail in with the spacers and bolts... it's something called 3M Sealant Caulk, and it's about the consistancy of bubble gum. I stretched it around, pressed it down and it held well enough for me to get everything lined up...

dumdum_zps26554460.jpg

Once everything was in position, I used needle nose pliers to remove the "dum dum" and tightened 'em down. Good to go!

Sadly... I am not done. Got the hood on, took it for a longer drive... and temps shot up and I had steam...

Looked under the hood and saw leaking from the hard pipe shown here with the green arrow

nogaskets_zps4f1f9931.jpg

When I removed and reinstalled this... I noticed that the inside of the pipe was seriously degraded/pitted/etc. I did NOT remove the metal sleeve that goes between the pipe and the waterpump housing. It was so broken down that I was afraid removing the sleeve would break it. So I rolled the dice. And it's leaking.

So I just ordered a new pipe and sleeve from Beno.

However, that's not my biggest issue. My bigger issue was that it appears to have a major leak on the back side of the engine. There was a large coolant puddle under the truck at the rear of the engine when I parked it. There was a lot of coolant spray on the driver's side of the engine, splash guards, etc.. Talking to Beno... he says it's possible that the freeze plugs in the head didn't survive the hot-tanking when I had the head cleaned. Never even knew to look for these.

Unfortunately, I haven't had any time to look at it, but right now... I'm down again until at least the weekend when I can start wrenching again.

*sigh*

Last edited:
Sounds like the first step is to tie down exactly where the leak is coming from. Probably should get one of those dye kits to see exactly where the leak starts.

Sounds like the first step is to tie down exactly where the leak is coming from. Probably should get one of those dye kits to see exactly where the leak starts.

Yeah, I know for sure the water pump pipe is leaking, but I'm not worried about that...

The back leak... I guess I'm just venting on that. Rollercoaster of emotions. I was so happy to be driving it again and it lasted all of 7 minutes and blah again.

At this point, if it IS something serious... it's probably going to sit all winter. My wife and I both work and our spare time is equally rare and precious... I've been dumping the kid watching on her every weekend for several weeks now and she's been very patient. I'm not going to ask her to spend another month of her 1 day weekends on kid duty so I can disappear for 8-10 hours at a time.

Yes. I'm whining, :lol:

Yeh, I know it's a bummer after all that work. I guess I was thinking if you at least track down where it's coming from you'll have a better idea of how involved the fix will is going to be. Maybe it's something easy, but you won't know until determine the source. I think we have a tendency to fear the worst on these deals, and often it turns out not to be.

Hang in there man. Been following this thread and know how frustrating these repairs can be. As others have said, hopefully it's something easier to fix than you are worried about. Deep breaths... In.... Out..... You'll whip this yet.

I'm doing better here... found a coolant line fitting that got missed. Hose goes from the head to the TB.

lolwhoops_zpsc70ab897.jpg

Found the hose mislabeled in my pile of leftovers

mightwannatrythis_zpsfeb4483a.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on the hard pipe from the waterpump to the head from beno and that's a 10 min job.

Fingers crossed...

Man... amazing. I'm about to have to dive into this same project. Thanks for all the tips - hoping it saves me some headaches, though it sounds like everybody has one or two of their own! :bang:

Last edited:
Now that you are all up and running. A summing you didn't have to buy any new hand tools what did this end up costing you? I may be diving into mine soon. I'm getting Blue smoke on startup after sitting a few days. I'm thinking the valve guides are probably too worn and letting oil leak past after shut down. Needs a valve job.

Hey. Look what I drove to work today :D

rockandroll_zps8eedb879.jpg

25 miles, no problems. :cheers:

Woohoo congrats! Bet it's a good feeling getting her back on the road :)

Woohoo congrats! Bet it's a good feeling getting her back on the road :)

Definitely! Thanks again for your thread and pictures and everybody else who helped me out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom