A new owner of a 100! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been searching for a long time and finally found the perfect truck. Milage is at 230k which might be high? It's been well taken care of, the interior looks almost untouched, under the hood looks clean. I can't even believe it's a 98. So I'm not even close to worried. I'm new to the forum and will be using the hell out of the search! I need to get this ready for a trip to Moab and Oberland expo West in may. With a family of for my priorities are roof rack and RTT. Other than that what would you guys suggest I should look into upgrading first? Thanks in advance, can't wait to build this girl!

IMG_20170114_171358.jpg

IMG_20170114_171421.jpg

Reactions: Gus
Looks like you found a nice one. As far as first upgrades, I'd start by base lining the rig, change fluids, take care of any needed maintenance, give the entire as rig a major cleaning, then drive it and you'l likely figure out what you would like to add.

Welcome to the club! I agree with the above, baseline the truck. Clean it throughly and fix all the little things. Take it on a big trip or two and decide what area(s) you felt it was lacking and let the mods begin.

My favorite cheap mod is the "D" light indicator on the dash. If yours is burned out leave it, if it works remove it. Makes night driving SO MUCH BETTER.

One of the first things I did to my truck from the family aspect was to add a cargo barrier. I wanted to make sure in the event of an accident all the gear in the back would stay in the back. Anything to keep little man and the wife safe!

Welcome! I agree with everything above regarding baseline-ing etc. As for upgrades, I'd suggest removing the runningboards, putting on some bigger tires and then just going out like that for a few good weekend runs to see what/if you need any additional mods.

Welcome to the forum.

If you got kids, removing the running boards is not a wise move.

Check the T-fittings in the cabin heater line located near the fire wall on the driver side.

Need to check that timing belt was replaced around 200K.

Landylover21 has the nicest '98 I have seen. However, yours is a close second. Congrats, and at that mileage, she is just stretching her legs. These rigs are known to go twice that mileage with routine maintenance, so baseline and drive it like you stole it. The heater T's is a must, and do a search as there is a step by step post of how to change them. It looks like it was well taken care of.

Welcome to the forum very clean rig you have there! (and thanks Paul! :p). I'm not sure if mine's the nicest (in terms of goodies) but she sure is clean and I know she's been maintained properly all her life.

Which brings me to the next thing: baseline all fluids, perform any needed maintenance, and drive the heck out of it! Basic things like bigger tires and pulling the running boards make all the difference (I finally realized that last year) but if you have children the latter may not be the best choice!

On the more trivial (in the grand scheme of things) side, I've been really happy with my head unit upgrade and smaller things like the LED interior upgrade.

Last edited:
First thing I would do is remove the "TOYOTA" vinyl above the V8 on the hatch. Looks like part of the dealership name where the truck was bought or sold, but looks out of place nonetheless.

You scored a NICE one. Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom