A Little Diappointed (Spindle Bushing Replacement)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well dang it apparently I didn't read the description at all before I ordered those new spindles.
because it has a bushing AND a bearing in it.
View attachment 4201945
I suppose to most people that seems like an upgrade but I am not one of those people.
Why put some moving parts in a place where a non-moving part can last 300,000 miles
not sure why you would introduce that failure mode.
Well now it's too late and I am not spending any more money on this part of the truck

It looks as though there has been a problem just using the bronze bushing, so Toyota did an upgrade thinking the caged roller bearing would be a better option to support the axle and they may be right. A lot of transmission use caged roller over bronze and they do last longer. The link says it's pretty much standard parts now, so I would install them and keep moving. Genuine Toyota Front Stub Axle Needle Roller Bearing and Bronze Bush Conversion - https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/fams045gen-genuine-toyota-front-stub-axle-needle-roller-bearing-bronze-bush-conversion.html
 
I owned a 100 series and replaced a bunch of stuff on the front of that but guess I never realized that they had the needle bearings.
That makes me feel a little better even though they are two completely different set ups but I guess it does not matter because there's no turning back now.
 
I owned a 100 series and replaced a bunch of stuff on the front of that but guess I never realized that they had the needle bearings.
That makes me feel a little better even though they are two completely different set ups but I guess it does not matter because there's no turning back now.
The bearing style is ideal for full time 4wd
 
Who knows the real answer here?
As previously stated, my spindle bushings had more than 280,000 miles on them and seemed to be functioning just fine and showed no major signs of wear on a moderately neglected rig.
I'm not a fan of introducing new failure modes in the form of moving parts into something that clearly has been working with no moving parts.
Naturally, bearings would seem like an upgrade because of reduced friction but that is generally only applicable in worst case scenarios.
 
Who knows the real answer here?
As previously stated, my spindle bushings had more than 280,000 miles on them and seemed to be functioning just fine and showed no major signs of wear on a moderately neglected rig.
I'm not a fan of introducing new failure modes in the form of moving parts into something that clearly has been working with no moving parts.
Naturally, bearings would seem like an upgrade because of reduced friction but that is generally only applicable in worst case scenarios.

Toyota always just tinkers to make things slightly better through the years whether that’s 100% the best way to do it or not they seem to do a good job at it. If they went to that style in the 100 series, it probably was solving a potential problem of future proofing a design. The good news is in 60 thousand miles you likely have that part off for something and you can check how it’s doing. These are labor intensive vehicles and I wouldn’t hesitate to run them. It looks like the joint Fuji spindles form outfitters has this exact design bushing they use so I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this is a slight upgrade but only time will tell.
 
Well I sorted why it was $30 to ship those seals. They are coming from Austalia.
Order conformation was from California but the tracking number is for auspost.
 
Well I got a reply back from Yotamasters and they say that is the way that all the aftermarket bushings are and if I want ones that are not shortened then the only option is factory bushings.

Fwiw the 'short' 8x spindle bushing is available aftermarket:

You're definitely not the first that wants to keep the simplicity of the bushing over the bearing/bushing combo that Toyota switched too. Fortunately they are reverse compatible. Details in this thread: Spindle Upgrade With Needle Bearing - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/spindle-upgrade-with-needle-bearing.962208/page-2#post-10701439

1787881856157.webp


The 70067 variant it looks like you received, is for the 4x/5x/6x/7x variant spindles
 
I changed spindles on my hzj105, full time 4wd at about 220k km.(150-ish k miles)
It had the bushing/ roller bearing combo and it seemed to be still 100% serviceable.

Be sure to thoroughly grease them on assembly with a high quality grease and i think they are fine.
 
Back
Top Bottom