A BLIZZARD is coming!!!!!!! (not snow related) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Flipper

Master of Nothing
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rinnadvisors.com
In my neverending quest to find oddball stuff I came across a Toyota Blizzard in AU. It's a tiny little 4WD vehicle that has basically a 3B diesel. It's a re-badged Daihatsu Rocky (if anyone remembers those??) named the Toyota Blizzard. Daihatsu is owned or affiliated with Toyota and Daihatsu made the 3B diesels at theor factories. Basically it's a BJ40 that weighs 1,000 lbs less.

I've found 2 soft-tops in the US and the guy in AU says he only knows of 2 others there and they are soft-tops. This one's a hardtop. I'm sure there are other ones out there so I'm gonna look around.

Parts should be fine since there is a truck called the Scat in AU that is the same model and there are tons of them down there.

This one gets 38mpg and the guys says it wheels great. Max speed is 55 mph (downhill). Low gears, new mud tires and a welded rear diff. Original paint is a nice touch and very, very little rust. Definitely want to take it out a few times at least. It should arrive in March.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
download-1.jpg
download-2.jpg
download-3.jpg

Last edited:
more pics
download-4.jpg
download-5.jpg
download.jpg

Dibs after 20 minutes??? Wow.

Maybe we should have a battle royale.....Frankie vs Blizzard. I smell a Pay-per-view event.

Is it Samurai sized? Cool truck. :)

Reading up on it, it is a bit larger than a samurai. There was a mention from an owner in AU that they were 6"5' and drove in it fine. (I'll believe that when I see it) Everyone says they are cofortable to drive and have surprising legroom. The one thing everyone notes is that it is bigger and roomier than a Samurai specifically.

Got this off of Luxury Imports in Canada:

"The Blizzard competed excellently with it's short, narrow, wheel base. It is a very maneuverable unit with excellent approach, break over and departure angles. The light weight coupled with the reliable fuel efficient 2L-T engine is a winning combination. Add to that the 5 speed and you have a vehicle capable of in excess of 30 mpg.

When compared to the little 550 cc and 660 cc turbo engines that came in the Jimny, the 2.4L turbo diesel was in a class of it's own. Since it is moving less than 3000 lbs down the road and along the trail the 2L-T is a perfect choice for this truck. The final gear ratio of 3.7 is perfect for booting around town, playing off road and puttering down the highway. "

More tech info

Model:Daihatsu Taft 2.8 DYear:1982Category:Rating:1982 Daihatsu Taft 2.8 D[/URL]. Engine size:2764 ccm (168.66 cubic inches)Fuel type:DieselDrive:4WDEngine and transmissionDisplacement:2764 ccm (168.66 cubic inches)Engine type:Inline, 4 cylinderMax power:69.00 PS (51 kW or 68 HP) at 3600 Rev. per min.Max torque:165.00 Nm (16.8 kgf-m or 121.7 ft.lbs) at 2200 Rev. per min.Speed and accelerationPower/weight ratio:0.0519 PS/kgExterior and interiorPassenger space:2,950 litres (779 gallons)Steering, brakes and tiresDimensions and weightWeight:1,330 kg (2,932.1 pounds)Overall length:3,370 mm (132.7 inches)Overall width:1,470 mm (57.9 inches)Overall height:1,830 mm (72.0 inches)Wheelbase:2,030 mm (79.9 inches)Other specificationsCountry of origin:Japan

The Daihatsu Taft is the base model but the Toyota Blizzard was the "Deluxe" model. Toyota bought 51% of daihatsu in 1999 but partnered with them back in the 1960's.

one last pic
7127_1__TN800.jpg

That's awesome.....but I thought this was going to be about Dairy Queen....
4.gif

:flipoff2:

Soa-35x9.50 Swampers-arb Locker In Front?

Very neat little truck, I've been tempted by Steve K's soft top but it's too nice for me. :) Read up on the 2L diesel, I think that is the motor that can have head issues. You'll be amazed what a little rig with little skinny tires can do. :beer:

The owner has said he never has a problem starting it and it turns over every time even if it sits for a couple weeks. That's the best I can hope for buying something from he other side of the world. Parts shouldn't be too bad to get but there are no problems at the moment. having it inspected by a mechanic in AU before I complete payment. The owner also said he amazes most other people on the trails with the capabilities of the truck. Either way it should be a fun ride!!

Blizzards had different model numbers for almost every option combination so it would be like an FJ40 Hardtop having a different model number as an FJ40 soft-top. I guess this is the only one in the US. Prolly getting too technical. Mines still in AU anyway.

Think I should paint it?? I thought about it but having the original paint seems way more appealing on mine. I doubt I will change anything except more towards stock.

That's a really nice truck though. he had it listed for $15K then down to $12K on his site (I believe) That auction still has 5 days left so I'm sure he'll get right around $12K.

Good luck to him!!:cheers:

Last edited:
That rig looks awesome, have some fun. Congrats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom