A better center console option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Note that some of these are the REAR center console.

Here's the Volvo console in the open position:
'07 Volvo S60 2.JPG

I thought this solution from Kia was interesting. '04 Kia Sedona. Measurements: 18"x10.5"x4.5"
'04 Kia Sedona 1.JPG

'04 Kia Sedona 2.JPG

The Kia console in the UP position. The cup holders are fairly deep and a center arm rest pad would need to be added, but I question the long term durability of those rubber supports:
'04 Kia Sedona 2.JPG

That's it for now. I did not buy any of these. I have some things to consider before taking the next step. Either make one of these work, use parts from one of these for a custom job, or a fully custom job.

I'll follow up as I make my decision...

One of my thoughts was that perhaps one of these options wouldn't look too bad with the leather or cloth stripped off leaving it black, or then allowing it to be painted to match, however one of the objectives is to use it as an arm rest, which requires padding, so recovering could be an option, but it may be cost prohibitive.

Hmmm... maybe cover it myself with matching materials from a Hobby Lobby or something??

I thought Plastidip had a color close to our interiors? Could you use that maybe and just spray the whole thing? I know some guys have colored their vinyl and leather but I don't know too much about it. Just a thought...

This rubber is in our 2006 sequoia and has held up great. Of course the rubber goes full circle around and not just tabs

Good to know :)

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Volvo S60 unit. It has the most appropriate dimensions, cup holders I like (although I need to take a few cups with me to test nex time), a decent arm pad, a respectably sized cubby hole under the pad and they came with a charcoal/black interior color, which would at least delay, if not eliminate entirely, the need to recover it.

Still considering a semi-custom job in fiberglass due to my strong desire to have 2 inline cup holders, vs. a side by side setup to eliminate interference with shifting duties. Yes, I know it's an auto, but still...

I just learned that there's a different style of '07 Volvo S60 center console floating around according to the internet (reliable as usual I'm sure. LOL). This style has 2 cup holders that pop out from the front end of the arm rest/console. So if this works out and any of you become interested, caution is the word...
image.jpg

Last edited:
this is probably my next on the to do list....i did a simple draft design in my thread and hope to be able to get around to doing it very soon.

thank you for taking time to upload all those images...great reference stuff.

No worries. I enjoy the research. My all time favorite cup holders to date are in my '08 Explorer. Here are the specs on the actual holders:

Nearly 3 full inches deep
image.jpg

3 7/16" wide at the top & just slightly bigger than a 12oz soda can at the bottom
image.jpg

The following two are just for reference...
image.jpg

image.jpg

Excuse their messy state.

Let me throw this at you for some ideas. I'm wanting a secure location for my side arm and other valuables. Tuffy consoles are a bit pricy and I have as yet seen a decent looking install on a 80.
I recently picked up a small bulldog safe that I plan to bolt between the back of the console and the back seat. I at one point thought about cutting it up to fit the inside of the factory set up at but a lot of work. I've also tossed around the idea of removing the factory center and bolting it there with some tuffy cup holders on front and back.

Now for a armrest. My buddy use to work at Warranty parts testing for SAAB USA. He use to get in a pretty steady supply of 9000 armrests because the plastic cover over the pivot broke and the only want to get the cover it was the whole arm rest. I had one mounted in a mini truck for years and still have it but it's gray (I have oak interior). Lots of our friends were running these thanks to his steady supply. Unfortunately they are getting scarce. Here is a link where you can see these.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246810
Any way just some more ideas for you.

So I went back to the junkyard and the Volvo was gone. :( After I got back to work, bummed out, I called them and they said I could return and search through the pile of cars waiting to go to the crusher to see if it's still available and if it is, I can get the armrest/console. If they sell it to me as an console it will be $20-$25. If they sell it to me as an armrest, it will be $4! That would be sweet!!

Oh and I brought my most commonly used beverage holders this time! :)

I first tried them out in the '00 Durango cup holders. That was okay, but they wouldn't be my first choice...
'00 Durango 4.JPG

While I was there I decided to search around a bit more and found this guy in an '01 Chrysler Concord. It measures 9.5"x18"x6".

I forgot to get a picture of the top open to show the cubby, but it's a decent size for misc items in addition to the factory console space.
'01 Concord 1.JPG

Here's with my beverage holders. It's a little loose, but by my estimation, these would stay put during 95% of my 4wheeling adventures ;)
'01 Concord 2.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, FYI people... Every single one of the arm rest/consoles I've found requires a torx tool to remove. I was unprepared for that today. I'll be going back tomorrow or Friday to get this one or the Volvo unit.

More to come... :D

I went with a bigger, better armrest. It's from a late 90s ES300. It's way more comfortable and nicer than the original arm pad. There is a version of this model armrest with rear-extending dual-cupholders but have yet to find it. This version will have to do for now. Leather and stitching is a perfect match. It fits and the (now hidden) button mechanism works just like original.
I believe I have a solution for dual-cupholders and will post when I get that installed.
Before and After pics:
IMG_1166a.jpg
IMG_1677a.jpg

Last edited:
Man those are fluffy seats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom