98 LX First Outing and upgrade Advice (1 Viewer)

How should I spend my $2000 budget on upgrades

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClassyJalopy

Congenitally insane nor irretrievably stupid...
SILVER Star
Threads
Help me decide how to spend my $2000 budget to improve my 98 LX for mild off road rides. I already have new Falken WildPeak 30" tires, WKOR sliders and a working factory LSD!

Background:
I had my first outing with mild off road exploration today. We spent the whole day exploring a frozen forest on mostly unimproved trails. Overall it went well, even pulled out a stuck FJ :cool:

I was mostly on the unimproved forest roads with a few small ditches and ruts thrown in here and there. This was the first time I realized that factory LSD still works :D. And the WKOR sliders saved my bacon more than once :cheers:.
But I clearly hoped for more clearance - the 1.5" lift and 30 in tires seemed inadequate in many places and at least once I wished I had a winch. But over all it was such a blast that I would like to do this more.

Since the kids and :princess: clearly had a great day too, I have (internally) talked myself into spending another $2000 in upgrades. I am not very interested in the cosmetic upgrades.

Thanks for you suggestions.

A ver stuck FJ
IMG954506.jpg

I also have a quick video of one of the places I had s little bit trouble but apparently its too large to upload (abt 38 mb)

I like this idea, just get the kiss drawers and a rtt!

Assuming all maintenance is done and everything is baselined..

Recovery gear, extended sway bar links, longer brake lines, storage.

Edit, just saw the poll.

I go with a lift and larger tires. Probably get a set Maxtrax?

Here's what I got in the name of recovery gear
  • Maxx trax Chinese knock off (used them twice already! )
  • Tow strap (primary rescue implement yesterday)
  • Tree saver strap
  • Hitch mounted tow shackle
  • Extra tow shackles
Coming soon
  • Shovel and Axe
  • Exhaust jack
  • Front tow points (as soon as @TRAIL TAILOR has them)

I go with a lift and larger tires. Probably get a set Maxtrax?

Also, the LX is HUGE once you get into tighter stuff and has a turning radius of a large freight liner !
Never noticed that until yesterday :cautious:

Help me decide how to spend my $2000 budget to improve my 98 LX for mild off road rides. I already have new Falken WildPeak 30" tires, WKOR sliders and a working factory LSD!

Background:
I had my first outing with mild off road exploration today. We spent the whole day exploring a frozen forest on mostly unimproved trails. Overall it went well, even pulled out a stuck FJ :cool:

I was mostly on the unimproved forest roads with a few small ditches and ruts thrown in here and there. This was the first time I realized that factory LSD still works :D. And the WKOR sliders saved my bacon more than once :cheers:.
But I clearly hoped for more clearance - the 1.5" lift and 30 in tires seemed inadequate in many places and at least once I wished I had a winch. But over all it was such a blast that I would like to do this more.

Since the kids and :princess: clearly had a great day too, I have (internally) talked myself into spending another $2000 in upgrades. I am not very interested in the cosmetic upgrades.

Thanks for you suggestions.

Lockers get you into trouble. Winches can get you out. Protection is needed. 1) tires/lift 2) protection/winch 3) locker.

I went a little out of order myself. Got kiss drawers first. Then the rest. Love the kiss drawers though! Use them everyday. But you'll get the most bang for your Off-road buck with 33s and a mild lift.

Last edited:
I disagree. While the LX is large, it has an impressive turning radius for its size IMO.
He probably doesn't have VGRS. Probably just the standard old school steering system in his. If there's one thing that's impressed me about 100's with VGRS is the turning radius is RIDICULOUS. Drove a few large American trucks afterwards and those things are school buses in comparison.

I disagree. While the LX is large, it has an impressive turning radius for its size IMO.
Fully agree. My LX is very nimble and has a great turning radius for its size.

Drive a Volvo XC90 if you want to turn a battleship. You have to three point turn to do a U turn in a 4 lane highway.

I needed tires and Discount Tires made me an offer I couldn't refuse ($400 installed !!). At that time I didn't even think these tires won't be big enough

Why did you go down to 30" tires?

He is also clueless as to what VGRS is.

He probably doesn't have VGRS. Probably just the standard old school steering system in his. If there's one thing that's impressed me about 100's with VGRS is the turning radius is RIDICULOUS. Drove a few large American trucks afterwards and those things are school buses in comparison.

I am going to try and get an approval to fund drawers and RTT from our camping budget (just made up this category right now ;))

So far most votes are for larger tires and higher lift.

Lockers get you into trouble. Winches can get you out. Protection is needed. 1) tires lift 2) protection/winch 3) locker.

I went a little out of order myself. Got kiss drawers first. Then the rest. Love the kiss drawers though! Use them everyday

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the turning radius will be the same whether VGRS or not.

The 30" tires are like go-cart wheels in a LX/LC. 33" (285/75/16) tires fit fine on a stock 100 and will gain you 1.5" over your current tires.

My recommendation is new 33" AT tires followed by a good bumper and winch if you have the $$$. If you can afford a winch and bumper right now a power puller (linked below) and some basic recovery gear will get you out of trouble, albeit with a lot more work and sweat.

More 2 Ton & 3 Ton Power Puller - $5 Shipping

Here's what I got in the name of recovery gear
  • Maxx trax Chinese knock off (used them twice already! )
  • Tow strap (primary rescue implement yesterday)
  • Tree saver strap
  • Hitch mounted tow shackle
  • Extra tow shackles
Coming soon
  • Shovel and Axe
  • Exhaust jack
  • Front tow points (as soon as @TRAIL TAILOR has them)
Which china knock off did you get? Got a link?

I got this "10 Ton" version. Wasn't very sure about buying a knock off but now that I have used them twice and they look still just fine:

EBay link

Which china knock off did you get? Got a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom