98 Land Cruiser 100 Doesn't want to start but eventually does, whats wrong? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
thecreatestage.com
Sometimes it's after 3 turns, sometimes it's after 40 and about 10 minutes and eventually, the LC 100 will start. After it's a bit warmed up, while running errands, it will start again no problem.

This problem was very sporadic since I bought the truck with about 190,000 miles, and now it seems to be a daily thing.

It will almost start to turn over and then nothing, then just a click while turning the key, over and over. Sometimes another half turnover, then eventually, Va Voom.

I've got about 209,000 miles now. Full overhaul tune up including radiator, plugs, and timing, pumps the full on. I also had the fuel pump replaced. I have done a full sway bar rehab and recently replaced the up oxygen sensor while on the road when a check engine light went on briefly. The only thing I haven't done as far as regular maintenance is to replace all of the coils. Could that be it?

One other question I have is gas mileage. I have 285/75/16 Terra Grapplers on there but I still feel like I am getting crap mileage compared to others with the same size. Would replacing the down oxygen sensor help or maybe the coils? I'm getting about 10mpg city, sometimes better sometimes worse. I am in Chicago so it's super, "stop and go bull**** traffic" but even on the highway when I'm not towing I feel I'm not getting what I could. Suggestions?

I have perused some similar Ih8mud postings. I figured I would start here and maybe someone could either point me in the right direction or have some direct insight.

Thank you for your time!

-Btron

Sounds like the starter (worn contacts) or possibly the EFI relay. Though the EFI relay should cause it to crank just not fire. If the starter has yet to be replaced in the 200k, then it is well overdue.

Ok, I have heard a dying starter before. This thing cranks just fine when It cranks. It never sounds sluggish but I do agree about its age. If it is the original. Also, everything works fine when the truck is even just warmish.

I will have to check the EFI for sure. If that is not working correctly then it might not crank right?

Last edited:
Ok, I have heard a dying starter before. This thing cranks just fine when It cranks. It never sounds sluggish but I do agree about its age. If it is the original. Also, everything works fine when the truck is even just warmish.

I will have to check the EFI for sure. If that is not working correctly then it might not crank right?
Usually when it's an EFI problem it will crank but not fire.

It sounds like the starter is definitely the issue. Throw a new/reman denso unit on and you should be rocking again.

Doubt I will have time to do it myself in the time it needs to get done. My mechanic says he would charge $250 for the labor. Is there anything else under the manifold I should replace to keep things on the up and up. The starter cable and the gaskets.. anything else?

Not particularly, just make sure to clean out the valley and make sure no furry friends have nested there at some point.

I get about 7mpg driving around our fair city.

If all your connections are good (battery/starter lead) then its your starter. Classic symptoms of starter solenoid contacts and plunger being worn.

IF you've got someone lined up to change out a starter (labor only) for $250.00, jump on it.

Check your heater Tee's while the intake is out of the way.

90% chance it is the contacts on the starter. If it cranks strongly when it finally cranks, I wouldn't even bother replacing the starter, just replace the contacts and plunger. I just did it last weekend, it's about $20 in parts. And a lot of labor to get the the thing.

90% chance it is the contacts on the starter. If it cranks strongly when it finally cranks, I wouldn't even bother replacing the starter, just replace the contacts and plunger. I just did it last weekend, it's about $20 in parts. And a lot of labor to get the the thing.

^^^^^^^^^ Agree that the issue is most likely the contacts, so new contacts, plunger and spring are in order for certain. But because of the time involved to reach the starter...I advise also tearing down the rest of the starter to inspect it as well. Check the bearings, clean and re-grease the gears, check the bendix for wear and proper operation.

I'd hate to have to go back in there a second time because of a failure to check the entire unit. Takes maybe an hour to break it down inspect and clean.

At that point, should, I just replace the damn thing? This truck was well maintained before I bought it and probably lightly used but with that being said a new starter "another $150. would just add to the security of not having to go down deep again, anytime soon. Consdering the starter is probably original at 209,xxx miles.

At that point, should, I just replace the damn thing? This truck was well maintained before I bought it and probably lightly used but with that being said a new starter "another $150. would just add to the security of not having to go down deep again, anytime soon. Consdering the starter is probably original at 209,xxx miles.

I put a new one in mine and rebuilt the old one for a spare. So yes, if you don't have financial constraints preventing you from purchasing a new or 'reman', that is definitely the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom