97 LX450 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've never done a build thread so I'm not really sure how well this will turn out. I have a bad habit of not slowing down enough to take picture of most of the work I do, but I will try my best. A lot of the fun for me is in the building stage and I have another bad habit of getting bored once the build is done and selling it. I'm really hoping this one will be around for a while, I think this vehicle will fit my needs the best of any I've owned in the past.

This vehicle will be used mostly for exploring/camping but it will serve daily driver duty on occasion as well. I have a 4 week Alaska trip planned for June 2017 so I have a little over a year to get this thing sorted out!

I was looking for an 80 series for a few months while I was in the process of selling my 2001 Tacoma. I was looking for a clean low mile 96 or 97 in white. I found this 97 LX450 for sale on here in southern California. The only thing it didn't have was lockers but I really like the look without the fender flares, plus it was white and only had 118K miles. I decided the lockers could always be added later on down the road and drove to California and trailered it back. The interior is immaculate and the exterior is not to bad either. It's been repainted and wasn't as good as I was told over the phone but it's still pretty decent.

Traffic on the way home getting out of LA area was ridiculous! I took some time during the 3 hour/40 mile commute out of the city to order a Prinsu Designs roof rack.
img_2683.jpg

At home in the driveway.
img_2730.jpg

img_2758.jpg

The chrome on the stock wheels was flaking pretty bad. After some time trying to find a set of wheels I liked I decided I would just stick with the stock ones and get them sandblasted and powdercoated black. It was much cheaper than buying 5 new wheels! While I had the wheels off I spent a couple hours with the pressure washer getting the 20 years of grease/oil and road grime off the undercarriage and engine compartment.
img_2759.jpg

I also found a good deal on some new BFG KM2 255/85/16's on ebay. I ran these tires on my Tacoma and was really happy with how they performed. Plus there about 1/2" taller than most of the 285's measuring in at 33.3" tall, not to mention they are lighter. Since I'm trying to get by without regearing I think they will work out well.

The new tires and Prinsu roof rack awaiting install.
img_2774.jpg

I was lucky enough to get in on a couple of IH8MUD group buys going on. I ordered a York OBA kit from NLXTACY, 4X4labs dual swing out rear bumper, and Autocraft/redline 50MM slinky heavy lift kit. In the next couple weeks I plan on ordering ARB rear drawers and fit kit from Sierra Expeditions. After that I will still need sliders, front bumper (thinking 4x4labs), and a winch. I already have an ARB fridge and Tepui RTT left over from my Tacoma.

And since everyone likes pictures I will add a couple of my previous Toyota's, most recent first.

The 2001 Tacoma I have talked so much about. It was originally built by Will from Sierra Expeditions. It was a great truck but with myself, the wife and 3 dogs the cab just wasn't big enough for all of us. I needed a big SUV!
photo.jpg

img_2297.jpg

img_2299.jpg

Uhh it's not a Toyota but it was pretty nice... for a Jeep... It was just way to small!!!
img_1124.jpg

img_1318.jpg

2003 4Runner. This one didn't last long, the lack of a tailgate drove me nuts!
olympus-camera-pics-076.jpg

olympus-camera-pics-075.jpg

1985 SR5 Pickup. I regret selling this one...
img_0730.jpg

img_0409.jpg

1987 SR5 4Runner
img_0288.jpg

2000 Tacoma
img_0440.jpg

1990 SR5 Pickup
img_0117.jpg

1996 Bronco. Where the addiction started! I regret selling this one as well...
img_0155.jpg

rockygap-12-15-07-004.jpg

That's all I got for now. I will post up some pics with the new wheels and tires hopefully tomorrow or Saturday.

Love the non monster lined no holes Lx.
Sounds like your getting ready for bear hunting...
Welcome, it's a clean & legal addiction.

Nice LX, I also have one in similar stages of build.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Got the wheels and tires mounted up. Also got the Prinsu rack and ARB drawers installed. I received my 4x4 labs front and rear bumper kits. Probably won't start those until the weather cools off!

Very nice. I just picked up my lx450 in late June. Been trying like mad to get her trail ready. Here she last week getting some ARB lockers front ans rear along with 4:88s. Ill be following your thread. Happy building.

IMG_20160822_163058.jpg

Who did you use for powder coating the wheels?

The shine shop in Henderson. Not the cleanest shop I've seen but they did a pretty good job.

so...did the previous owner remove the cladding? looks like a clean job.

so...did the previous owner remove the cladding? looks like a clean job.

Yes. The holes were filled and smoothed before it was repainted. A couple of the holes were sanded a little to much and you can see the outline of them but overall it looks really good. I definitely prefer the flareless look!

Yes. The holes were filled and smoothed before it was repainted. A couple of the holes were sanded a little to much and you can see the outline of them but overall it looks really good. I definitely prefer the flareless look!
looks nice.
I yanked all the cladding off mine after a trip on the rubicon "helped" with one of the rear flares. Best thing I ever did...

Any updates. Your running same tires I am now looking at lifts. How is that auto craft? Been watching the thread and am thinking stock hieght ome with icon shocks to skip the headache. What f ur thoughts? Worth the extra $450 and trouble for AC?

Any updates. Your running same tires I am now looking at lifts. How is that auto craft? Been watching the thread and am thinking stock hieght ome with icon shocks to skip the headache. What f ur thoughts? Worth the extra $450 and trouble for AC?

I installed the lift this weekend. I added some pictures to the Autocraft thread in the redline vendor section. I will add some more to this thread in the next couple days. Stock height OME and icon or fox shocks was my second choice and had I known it was going to take 6 months to get the autocraft kit I would have gone with the OME. However after installing the kit this weekend I'm glad I waited. I don't know how the OME springs ride but these springs ride really nice. I haven't had it off road yet but I have a bunch of dips in my neighborhood and I hit a couple of those at about 25-30mph and it soaked them up really nice. The springs ride nice and soft, not harsh at all. The best part is the shock length is perfect for the spring length. At full extension of the shocks the springs stay seated and at full compression there's about 1" of shock shaft exposed. So it's dialed in pretty good. If Justin @ redline can assure you he has a complete kit on the shelf then I would definitely spend the extra $ on the autocraft.

I just started a build on a 1994 LC; the two things that I would really love to hear about are:
1) The roof rack: did you have to remove the OEM roof rack to get yours on?
2) Which socks did you end up using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom