97 lx died in driveway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was leaving my house just now, heading down the steep gravel road if that matters, and out of nowhere the battery light came on and I lost power steering and brakes. Went down the rest of the hill and now she won’t turn over. It’s trying and has battery but just won’t start. Any idea what could have gone wrong? Everything looks ok in the engine bay from what I can tell, but I also don’t exactly know what to look for. Drove it 40 miles about half an hour ago and felt totally fine. Thanks for any help

Although my LX450 never stopped while it was on.

These have been my no start issues in the past.
Not necessarily in any order.

Dead battery
Loose battery terminals
Dead ignition switch
Fusible link
Bad starter
also good starter but the small little metal prong inside the connector was bent and not making contact
Bad alternator
Loose alternator wire
Bad ground
Transmission shifter not quite in park. ( tap it so it can sit properly into park)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've had similar "no start" issues like Del's. Also replaced the starter since everyone said "you need a new starter". That did not fix the random "no start" problem. When I was having the problem, there was no sound, no clicking or anything. When I first started having the problem, I noticed that if I turned the key and held it in the start position for a few seconds (sometimes as many as 10-15 seconds), it would suddenly crank. Eventually, it quit starting doing that procedure. Sometimes I would just have to wait 15-30 minutes and it would eventually start. Ultimately, I replaced the battery and the problem went away until...a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue and after filling with gas, it wouldn't start at the gas station. I waited a few minutes (5-10) and it started. So, I don't really know what the problem is (although I would suggest making sure you have a good, strong battery) and as much as I love my LX450, I'm glad I don't have to depend on it for transportation.

In my case, same symptoms, loose battery terminals. Specially if you are on gravel or bumpy road. If not that, then the rest of recommended above should do It, sounds like a ground came off.

Do you have a check engine light?

There is a great diagnostic about this on Mud and in the FSM. Step by step stuff. Google is your friend.

Fusible link.

However the fusible link is probably not the root cause. The fusible link can fail due to brittleness from age but the likely issue is something else upstream.

My truck shutoff when I made a right hand turn into my neighborhood. It would crank but not fire. I found that the fusible link had popped so I replaced it thinking it was age related. The second fusible link popped almost as soon as I started the truck indicating it was a short somewhere. Turns out the wire for injector #5 was shorting against the valve cover.

1690295588340.png

And no codes?

Looked around for loose terminals and couldn’t see anything. My truck actually doesn’t have the fusible link like it should. I’m not entirely sure why but the guy before me wired it up differently. I don’t understand electrical things very well so I’m not sure if it’s better or worse but it’s never given me trouble.
Thanks for all of the input, I think I’ll just have to start at fuel and spark and work my way around until I find something. I had to go out of town but fortunately it happened at the bottom of my driveway so I can leave it until I’m back.
Only code I’ve had is the egr but that shouldn’t matter.
Thankfully I just bought a 94 22re pickup last week and no longer have to rely exclusively on the LX for transportation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom