97 fj80 3rd brake light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I am not sure why my upper 3rd brake light quite working, any of you know where to look, I thought it had bulbs, but it is an LED, is there a relay for that, my othe brake lights and back up work fine

I had this same issue on my '94. I got it fixed earlier this year. I cannot remember what the exact issue was, or how my mechanic fixed it. I do recall him saying that one possible fix would be to re-route power from the rear brake lights up to the third. Your issue could be with the wires, or it could be the actual brakelight. Dismantle the brake light and plug it into an alternate power source. If it turns on/works, then it's not your issue. If it doesn't work, then something could be wrong with the brakelight. You can find brakelights in wrecking yards that have wrecked 80's. When I had this issue I went to a local wrecking yard that had an 80. They tested my brakelight and found that it worked – so I didn't need to buy theirs. I think the place offered to sell it to me for $50? So you can probably find one on the cheap.
This probably isn't of much help, sorry!

Resurrecting this thread. Yes indeed it is the zener diode. That link above is invaluable. Thanks for posting it.

Hook the power supply up to the positive/negative (white with black stripe) input side, no lights. Apply the positive power supply lead the the back side of the zener diode and they light. I'm seeing prices for as low as 15 cents for these diodes. Need to find an electronics component supply locally to buy one. Otherwise it is a week wait for components to be shipped in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom