94 transmission issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I was driving home from work today and after I got on the freeway I was expecting the transmission to shift down into 4th gear and lower the revs, but it held steady at 2800 rpms at 60 mph. I slowed down to 50 and the rpms dropped to about 2100 - 2200. I didn't want to blow the engine after fixing all the oil leaks so I held 50mph all the way home. On my way to work the transmission was working just fine and I had no issue cruising at 65mph. I did notice that when I move the shifter into different gears the lights moves and lights up on all gears except when it goes into drive. Has anyone experienced this issue before? Do I need to change the transmission fluid? I am not too familiar with this transmission. I only picked up the cruiser a month ago and have been fixing the engine issues. Btw is a 94 fzj80. The cable housing are pretty shot. They are on the list of things I need to replace. Any help is much appreciated.

Hey guys,

I was driving home from work today and after I got on the freeway I was expecting the transmission to shift down into 4th gear and lower the revs, but it held steady at 2800 rpms at 60 mph. I slowed down to 50 and the rpms dropped to about 2100 - 2200. I didn't want to blow the engine after fixing all the oil leaks so I held 50mph all the way home. On my way to work the transmission was working just fine and I had no issue cruising at 65mph. I did notice that when I move the shifter into different gears the lights moves and lights up on all gears except when it goes into drive. Has anyone experienced this issue before? Do I need to change the transmission fluid? I am not too familiar with this transmission. I only picked up the cruiser a month ago and have been fixing the engine issues. Btw is a 94 fzj80. The cable housing are pretty shot. They are on the list of things I need to replace. Any help is much appreciated.
The D lightbulb burns out, common issue that most people ignore/prefer. The transmission won't shift into overdrive until it comes up to normal operating temperature. That usually happens within a few miles.

I always let the 80 fully warm up before driving. I also drive 25 miles each way for work and the whole time the truck did not shift into overdrive. Not sure what would be causing this problem. As far as the bulb is concerned, I don't care about the d light coming on or not. I just read that the light coming on may be part of the issue. Not sure if that is true or not.

The low hanging fruit would be fluid level and O/D lock out engaged - button on side of shift lever/orange light on dash below gear selection indicators. If bulb is blown or not working, you'd never know it was engaged without looking at the button.
Next might be the Neutral safety switch and its mounting points - there is a small adjustment range in the mounting point area and slippage occurs when the mount points loosen. The NSS is mounted on the side of the transmission.
Mine came apart during a transmission rebuild, so they don't last forever and many times fail partially resulting in random and unpredictable behavior of the dash lights most notably, but also the transmission itself. In my case it was during any ride lasting longer than 4 hours non-stop running.

it held steady at 2800 rpms at 60 mph. I slowed down to 50 and the rpms dropped to about 2100 - 2200. I didn't want to blow the engine after fixing all the oil leaks so I held 50mph all the way home.
Why would you think that 2800 rpm would "blow the engine"? 4800 rpm maybe, but 2800?

Check and see if transmission is throwing code....Could be 1 of the 4 solenoids in transmission going bad... I had similar symptoms years back and my lock up solenoid was bad...

The low hanging fruit would be fluid level and O/D lock out engaged - button on side of shift lever/orange light on dash below gear selection indicators. If bulb is blown or not working, you'd never know it was engaged without looking at the button.
Next might be the Neutral safety switch and its mounting points - there is a small adjustment range in the mounting point area and slippage occurs when the mount points loosen. The NSS is mounted on the side of the transmission.
Mine came apart during a transmission rebuild, so they don't last forever and many times fail partially resulting in random and unpredictable behavior of the dash lights most notably, but also the transmission itself. In my case it was during any ride lasting longer than 4 hours non-stop running.
Second to Neutral Safety switch. Just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. Multiple lights were not activating in the dash and it fixed the lights and my shifting issues.

I found the issue.... turns out I had accidentally turned on O/D and the O/D light does not work so I had no idea it was on. Everything is back to normal... for now... thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom