93-97 Coolant Temperature Gauge Modification (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What I do not understand is why mine climbs closer to the red on the highway but around town she sits at the 3/4 mark. After the readings with the IR I feel better but still curious why it climbs on the highway.

I just thought I would post and see if anyone else had the same problem after the mod.

Mine is the opposite steady center at any normal speed, pops up a bit in slow traffic or sitting stopped in hot weather. I need to do my fan clutch.

tony, are you running with ac? try it with ac off and see what you get.

NO AC?!? In Arizona?!? During a heat wave?!? ;)

I did try that and the gauge does go down when I turn it off after a few minutes, slowly.

i'd be interested to see what an aftermarket gauge says. my 93 gauge has way more temp fluctuation on hills than others report and i would not dream of running a steep hill with the ac on since ac always made it run hotter. i have done everything i can think of to improve cooling.

when i disconnected the ac belt last year i found it suddenly ran significantly cooler even with the ac off. i realize that does not compute, but there you go.

Perhaps something wrong with your AC compressor clutch?

probably. there definitely was by the time i disconnected it, but it previously appeared to be fine and the ac worked.

i'd be interested to see what an aftermarket gauge says. my 93 gauge has way more temp fluctuation on hills than others report and i would not dream of running a steep hill with the ac on since ac always made it run hotter. i have done everything i can think of to improve cooling.

when i disconnected the ac belt last year i found it suddenly ran significantly cooler even with the ac off. i realize that does not compute, but there you go.

Coolant temp is always going to fluctuate with load, as long as it stays in the operating range, it's good to go.:meh: If you have to turn off the A/C to hill climb, there is a problem.

Coolant temp is always going to fluctuate with load, as long as it stays in the operating range, it's good to go.:meh: If you have to turn off the A/C to hill climb, there is a problem.

possibly the ac was the problem all along and it just took 7 years before it went completely.

Can anybody tell me if this temp mod will work on a Land Cruiser pickup 4.5 EFI?

The mod was designed for 93-97 US market 80 series land cruisers,

If your truck has the same sensor and gauge and wiring it may work on yours also but I have no idea if it is so,

my best guess is that the mod for your truck would be similar but not the same.

PM me your details and I will ship you out a set

I'm in the same boat. I just went to purchase the resistors and realized the 50 ohm is 50 minimum order. Any other source for these?
Anyone have a set that they are willing to sell me?

Last edited:
Sombody who's more familiar with this should correct me if I've missed anything but I think they're still availible...

Looks like 71-RS2B-50 is now 50+ but the RoHS certified version is still 1+ on the 71-RS02B50R00FE12 ...it's linked as an alternate version in the bottom right corner of the page.

RS02B50R00FE12 Vishay/Dale Wirewound Resistors - Through Hole

71-RS2B-50

This doesn't help with the shipping but maybe somebody could order extras and split them up.

Hope this helps.

Sombody who's more familiar with this should correct me if I've missed anything but I think they're still availible...

Looks like 71-RS2B-50 is now 50+ but the RoHS certified version is still 1+ on the 71-RS02B50R00FE12 ...it's linked as an alternate version in the bottom right corner of the page.

RS02B50R00FE12 Vishay/Dale Wirewound Resistors - Through Hole

71-RS2B-50

This doesn't help with the shipping but maybe somebody could order extras and split them up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that! I fail the internets...:doh:

I just placed an order. 3 sets of resistors are spoken for, but I should have a couple sets left over if anyone is in need.

Thanks again SeanLX:beer:

I scored a few sets a while back, misplaced them and just recently found the lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom