93-94 truck VAF to MAF conversion project (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got the split second unit running on my built 2FE. It handles the fuel pump relay just fine if you get the 005 inverted output unit... It has a special output trigger for the relay trigger: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/487202-3fe-maf-afm-conversion.html. I run an Innovate LC1 with it. I data log the LC1 and my J&S Safeguard through the Split Second optional aux data inputs. I do run the aux temp sensor.

I can't say how the 3FE is setup but the IAT sensor on the 1FZ-FE is the same for both the VAF and MAF. I'm thinking that doing the 1FZ-FE would be easier than the 3FE for both tuning and install since all you would need is to get a MAF setup as far as air cleaner cover and air tube.

yup just $322 for theis doohickey, plus the cost of the sensor and a maf box, plus the software needed to tune it.

:doh:

$322 for the box, $235 for the MAF and housing and $50 for the software so
a little over $600. add a air/fuel meter and sensor for another $60....

...so who's in. :D

$322 for the box, $235 for the MAF and housing and $50 for the software so
a little over $600. add a air/fuel meter and sensor for another $60....

...so who's in. :D

not sure if it all fits together with the vaf bellows and air filter canister.

that would take some work, their MAF is a 3" inlet 3.5" outlet. in my case
i'm having to redo that all anyway so that part at least isn't going to hurt...

not sure why you would want to use anything other than a Toyota MAF. For a 93/94 it would be an air can cover, MAF and air tube out of a 95+ truck and then the split second box. Likely only worth it for those considering boosting their trucks.

Someone had built a simple inverter once but it had a wierd responce after reaching a certain amount of air flow. Likely wouldn't would work anyway since the responce curve of the VAF and MAF is likely different.

not sure why you would want to use anything other than a Toyota MAF.

cost $235 vs $600...

For a 93/94 it would be an air can cover, MAF and air tube out of a 95+ truck and then the split second box.

i can't use the air cleaner or air tube on my truck so that didn't figure in for me...

Likely only worth it for those considering boosting their trucks.

at that price you're probably right... :frown:

not sure why you would want to use anything other than a Toyota MAF. For a 93/94 it would be an air can cover, MAF and air tube out of a 95+ truck and then the split second box. Likely only worth it for those considering boosting their trucks.

Someone had built a simple inverter once but it had a wierd responce after reaching a certain amount of air flow. Likely wouldn't would work anyway since the responce curve of the VAF and MAF is likely different.

the voltage signal tolerance range on the vaf is so great that i am pretty sure the ecu must be designed to be very adaptable.

I browsed through a few pages of this and it seems like the same issue I've been waffling with on my BMW. It has a VAF stock and there is a company in Canada that makes a MAF conversion for my car (using Ford Mustang parts) for around $600. For an extra $75, I can have a Megasquirt setup made for my car that plugs into the factory ecu plug and completely eliminates the MAF or VAF. Couldn't we just use something like that on a Cruiser? If it was mentioned already, whoops

Hi, first time post here. But I first read this post a couple of years back with interest. I live in New Zealand.
I have a 1993 80 series with the 1FZ-FE engine OBD1 computer and VAF air flow meter. My aim was to install a turbo system. After a lot of reading and seeing for myself with my wide band O2 installed the AFR ratios are pretty average and at times a little random.
I decided it was time to get stuck in and see what sort of gains could be gained from a VAF to MAF conversion.

I purchased 2 VAF to MAF converters from Конвертер расходомеров Pilot VAF/MAF USB-PRO : Pilot Engineering. Great quality little unit, I brought the second as a spare but i'm never going to need it.

I used the 1997 MAF P/N: 22250-66050 because I knew it would be about the correct sizing for the engine. It was harder to find though and had to buy it out of the USA, so probably cheaper options out there. But no research needed.

I brought the Toyota connector P/N: 90980-11317 and pins P/N: 82998-12440 for the new MAF.

Wired it all into the converter, powered it up and started the car, it was a little trial and error for me as I had no idea what I was doing. But once I got myself sorted. It was easy and now the truck runs fantastic with a fully tuneable AFR even better than I expected.

If your thinking about it. This little cheap converter is the ticket.
Turbo time here I come

In the next week or 2 I am going to do a write up on the setup of the unit, I will put it up here Click here :) - ????? Pilot Engineering I think I might be the first english user possibly, the guy that builds and runs this shop has been fantastic to me and run me step by step of to first power up the converter then to best tune it to get great results. All not an easy task when I speak English and him Russian. He converted all the software to english for me. They have now started an English forum so will post up most of my information there.

Photo's get more interest so here is a few.

Cheers
Jim

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

what manifold is that?

At last someone has done this on a 1FZ-FE. Nice going @Jimjim!

The Pilot converter is pretty cool and the inventors have clearly put a lot of engineering effort into making it work. When I first saw a picture of the PC board I thought WTF, how could that possibly work? Then I found a second photo of the back side of the board where all the real components live and was duly impressed. There's a pretty detailed description of the programmable version here (in English): Pilot VAF to MAF converter : Pilot Engineering Team.

what manifold is that?
It is a Turbo Glide full setup. I wanted a good long lasting cat manifold that will last the distance. The choice was Turbo Glide, AXT turbo or a couple from the States. I chose to go full setup as you can't garrentee turbo center lines if they will all fit if your not getting a kit

very cool jim. thank goodness somebody finally did it!

very interested to know how you mapped it. if you get time to add a write up here or start a new thread that would be great.

Hey mate, that's fantastic work! If you write it up, I will have a crack at doing the same to my 1994 80 series. I wanna turbo too. Have been wondering which is best, turboglide or axt. Have you weighed the pros and cons of each? Love to know your conclusions

Chris

Hey mate, that's fantastic work! If you write it up, I will have a crack at doing the same to my 1994 80 series. I wanna turbo too. Have been wondering which is best, turboglide or axt. Have you weighed the pros and cons of each? Love to know your conclusions

Chris
Hey Chris,

I basiclly went with the Turbo Glide in the end because AXT stopped talking to me so they lost the business. I would have one AXT as they were willing to only sell me the bits I wanted, Turbo Glide would only sell me there complete setup, so a few of there bits are not going to be used. But after AXT wouldn't reply to me anymore they lost out. At the end of the day they are very similar products. I'm going to start a thread with the conversion process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom