92 FJ80 Brake Light Fuse and Electrical Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I need some help troubleshooting some problems developing on my 1992 FJ80

I posted a while back about a charging problem. I want to thank everyone who posted suggestions.

I knew the truck had been sitting for at least a year, and thought that the problem was related to the truck not being driven regularly. After failing to hold a charge a few times after we had first bought the truck, the problem seemed to disappear. I've been driving the truck short distances for about two months now and I have new problems developing.

1) My brake light fuse burnt and melted. (leaving a burnt look in the actual fuse box) thus cutting out my lights. Also it caused my shifter to lock in the park position. When we originally bought the vehicle we had to change a burnt out taillight.

2) My transmission does not seem to be shifting correctly. This just developed yesterday. When I press down on the accelerator, it seems that the vehicle cannot find the correct gear. Like it's hunting or not engaging correctly. If i press down to the floor, the truck gives me no shift with no power. Can this symptom be electrical in nature? I also seem to have bad front axle seals (knew this when we purchased).

3) My driver side power window and the rear right window were the only two that functioned when I purchased the vehicle. The passenger side front window's switch was obviously worked on recently. They both operated VERY slowly. (They both operate faster now that the weather has been warmer.)

4) The radio display will not show anything even though the radio will play.

5) Transmission was flushed with new fluid soon after purchase. Fuel system was flushed. Thermostat was replaced at dealership at the same time. Alternator was checked there as well and checked out ok. I had the alternator checked at two different parts stores and they both said it was not charging correctly.

Im planning on taking off the door pads to take a look at the window regulators today, any help with the above problems would be hugely appreciated.

Regarding the brake/tail light fuse and the shifter not unlocking. Mine did the same thing the first time I took it on a good off-road trip. I traced it back to the pig-tail plug for the trailer lights. When it would get wet, it would somehow short out and blow the fuse. My A/TP light would come on and the shifter would not move. New fuse, cover on the trailer plug and all good.

Update: Well after replacing the fuse, the shifter unlocked. And I believe I fixed the hesitant shifting by adjusting the kick-down cable near the throttle per my FSM. (Best $60 i've spent so far on this truck) Seems to be shifting well now, in fact, I'd say the throttle feels a little more responsive. 2nd gear also holds just a taaaad longer.

I also washed my window runs in the aformentioned pass. window. Little bit of lubricant and the window seems to roll up a little better, I have new regulators and motors coming in for the front two windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom