87 runner automatic locking hubs??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 87 runner with automaic locking hubs the driver side has started makin a clicking noise a first gear speed another words when I first take off. When I accelerate the noise stops.

Side question can auto hubs be swapped out to manuel and is this what IFS guys usually do?

Thanks

Howdy! The auto hubs have a reputation for dying young. Swap them out for a good set of Aisans. Even Warn HDs are better than the autos. John

Even the best companies sometimes ship out a turd product. Those "Automatic" hubs are definitely in that category.

Several pages out on the Internets that tell you how to swap over to manual, it's surprisingly easy. Hardest part is sourcing a set of AISIN hubs, but usually they can be found in the Parts For Sale section here, or on eBay.

You need a set of IFS locking hubs, and the 4 large lock nuts, and 2 of the flat 5 tang lock washers that goes between them to do the swap. :cheers:

FYI for $300 I'll source the parts, and drive down and install them for you.... People are crazy! :cheers:

For 300 bucks, I'll drive over and keep the beer from overpopulating the cooler.;)

Nonetheless, I agree with the general consensus:
Lose the autos, and find a pair of manuals, but check if there's an IFS rig with manuals at your local P-n-P. Or, if you're near Sacto, give Georg at Valley Hybrids a call.

One truck I looked into buying had the autos, and they decided to disengage on the downhill.

There was no sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom