For Sale 84' HJ60 Turbo High Roof - California Title (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DIESEL 84' HJ60 Turbo High Roof - California Title

1984 HJ60 Turbo Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser

$15000.00 USD

For inquiries please email: karlseder@salk.edu I will get back to you as soon as possible, but I will be traveling most day thursday (5.12) and I will be out of town 5.19 to 5.24 with intermittent email access. If you cannot reach me please contact Michael at tlcruiserman@westcoastcruisers.com for more information.

Flickr Photo Gallery

HJ60 turbo, California title, Factory high roof Drive Train has ~100k miles Chassis ~240 k miles
Originally from Honduras, was brought to the US by the Ambassadors daughter and has fully legal VIN and diesel title. The truck had been used hard when I bought it and needed a complete rebuild, from bumper to bumper, which it got, including a replacement 2H engine with only 23k on it, a brand new 5 speed tranny and a transfer case rebuild. Everything was replaced with Toyota parts, when possible.

We worked on this one for a year at West Coast Cruisers, finished it in 2006, and since then we drove it through the American West and through Baja. We did not suffer a single breakdown. If you are looking for an extremely reliable, very capable and mechanically 100% sound truck, this is it. It will get you anywhere, and back, and you�ll do it with 20 to 22 mpg. We camped out of this truck for weeks, it just flies over sand, over washboard, through water, up the mountains and down into the deserts.
Specifications

• Drive train:
  • 2H 6 cylinder 4.0 liter Toyota diesel engine, 100k miles, compression (in psi, measured by a local diesel shop): 410, 410, 415, 415, 405, 410
  • turbo glide turbo, new 70k miles ago
  • New injectors, new glow plugs, new water pump, new thermostat, 4 core radiator, new hoses and belts, new custom 2.5 inch exhaust
  • Autometer gauges for water, EGT and boost
  • H55F Toyota 5 speed transmission, new 70k miles ago with new clutch, clutch bearings and resurfaced flywheel Split transfer, rebuilt 70 k miles ago
  • Engine compartment:
  • New brake master on rebuilt brake booster
  • New clutch master on rebuilt clutch booster
  • Dual battery system, see electricals
  • welded fan clutch
  • Axles:
  • Front: Completely rebuilt from hub to hub, Aisin hubs, knuckles with all new bearings and seals, diff rebuilt, 4.10 gears, slotted rotors, rebuilt calipers
  • Rear: Full Floater, completely rebuilt, factory limited slip, diff rebuilt, 4.10 gears, all hardware in the drum brakes is new
  • Steel extended brake lines Both drive shafts rebuilt and balanced
  • Suspension & Steering:
  • OME heavy-duty lift with 2 additional leafs in the rear springs, greasable shackles Rides very well and can carry huge loads, 33 inch BFG A/Ts, but they are worn
  • 4x4 labs steering system (steering arms, heavy duty steering and relay rods, FJ80 series ends). Steers tight and does not wander-much better than the factory steering
  • Steering box rebuilt by West Texas Off Road Steering pump from low mileage HJ61 (G&S)
  • Electrical:
  • Dual battery system, one optima red, one optima blue (deep cycle) Managed by a Powergate system, which insulates the starting battery and automatically charges the lower battery first
  • ARB harness for headlights
  • Marine Fuse box in cab, two outlets in the rear
  • Factory electric door locks. The solenoids all work, including the rear hatch lock
  • Fully functional EDIC system

• Body: Not perfect. Has dings and scratches and some rust repair that has been done well, but not pretty. This truck has been to Baja many times, to Utah, to Colorado, New Mexico and the California desert. It shows its age and its use. If you need a perfect and shiny mall queen, this is not for you. Having said that, the body is completely solid, has no rattles and no holes. This is far, far from a rust bucket. The frame is near perfect. Factory high roof Safari Snorkel, hooked up correctly
  • Bumpers:
  • Front: TJM aluminum winch bumper (no winch)
  • Rear: SROR rear custom bumper with swing out tire carrier, Fuel can carrier, tool carrier (shovels, axes�)
  • Cab:
  • The inside is clean and in great shape
  • Factory inclinometer
  • Drivers seat has SOR seat cushion
  • Front passenger seat is factory wide seat for 2 people
  • Custom consoles (wood)
  • Pioneer radio with CD and ipod input
  • FJ62 rear bench with head rests
  • FJ62 rear shoulder belts with custom panels
  • SOR heavy duty cargo mat
  • Fishing rod holders in high roof
  • Aussie sliding windows (one has a small rip in the mosquito netting)
  • Custom seat covers
  • Wagon Gear tailgate storage compartment

• Technically this truck is a 10 out of 10. The engine starts up easily, smokes for 15 seconds as any 2H, and then runs smooth as can be. With the turbo it has lots of power and still gets 20mpg on any day. The H55F 5 speed transmission is practically new and perfect. The transfer case works perfectly. No rattles anywhere and no leaks. Everything works, including the A/C. I am sure I am forgetting things. Don�t hesitate to ask for specifics or pictures of anything. I also have photo documentation of the rebuilt and engine replacement from a few years back.

Last edited:
Son of a bitch!!!!!

If I wasn't in the middle of buying my wife a new car, this would already be in my garage!!! Damn the timing!!!!

I've been asked why I am selling this truck: We are almost done building a diesel 80, so the 60 has to go. There is nothing wrong with it and I love it dearly, but I have no use for 2 expedition rigs.
thanks, cheers,
jan

Compared to a 13BT how much more power does this have? (If you've driven one)

I'm hitting the road to start my overland trip in 4 weeks ... and I don't have a vehicle yet. Sent you an email.

Last edited:
Compared to a 13BT how much more power does this have? (If you've driven one)

I've driven a BJ74 with an automatic, and the turboed 2H has a lot more power, but that is comparing a manual to an auto, so not exactly fair..

The turbo 2H is comparable to a non turboed 1HZ.

come drive it, and you'll see.

cheers,
jan

I've been asked why I am selling this truck: We are almost done building a diesel 80, so the 60 has to go. There is nothing wrong with it and I love it dearly, but I have no use for 2 expedition rigs.
thanks, cheers,
jan

Guess that answers the question..."want to trade for an 80?"

Love it! Could you tell me the paint color and also, where did you get the stripe kit for the side? I have a freeborn red 60 and that red stripe in your color tan would look real sweet on it!

1984 HJ60 Turbo Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser

$15000.00 USD

For inquiries please email: karlseder@salk.edu I will get back to you as soon as possible, but I will be traveling most day thursday (5.12) and I will be out of town 5.19 to 5.24 with intermittent email access. If you cannot reach me please contact Michael at tlcruiserman@westcoastcruisers.com for more information.

Flickr Photo Gallery

HJ60 turbo, California title, Factory high roof Drive Train has ~100k miles Chassis ~240 k miles
Originally from Honduras, was brought to the US by the Ambassadors daughter and has fully legal VIN and diesel title. The truck had been used hard when I bought it and needed a complete rebuild, from bumper to bumper, which it got, including a replacement 2H engine with only 23k on it, a brand new 5 speed tranny and a transfer case rebuild. Everything was replaced with Toyota parts, when possible.

We worked on this one for a year at West Coast Cruisers, finished it in 2006, and since then we drove it through the American West and through Baja. We did not suffer a single breakdown. If you are looking for an extremely reliable, very capable and mechanically 100% sound truck, this is it. It will get you anywhere, and back, and you�ll do it with 20 to 22 mpg. We camped out of this truck for weeks, it just flies over sand, over washboard, through water, up the mountains and down into the deserts.
Specifications

• Drive train:
  • 2H 6 cylinder 4.0 liter Toyota diesel engine, 100k miles, compression (in psi, measured by a local diesel shop): 410, 410, 415, 415, 405, 410
  • turbo glide turbo, new 70k miles ago
  • New injectors, new glow plugs, new water pump, new thermostat, 4 core radiator, new hoses and belts, new custom 2.5 inch exhaust
  • Autometer gauges for water, EGT and boost
  • H55F Toyota 5 speed transmission, new 70k miles ago with new clutch, clutch bearings and resurfaced flywheel Split transfer, rebuilt 70 k miles ago
  • Engine compartment:
  • New brake master on rebuilt brake booster
  • New clutch master on rebuilt clutch booster
  • Dual battery system, see electricals
  • welded fan clutch
  • Axles:
  • Front: Completely rebuilt from hub to hub, Aisin hubs, knuckles with all new bearings and seals, diff rebuilt, 4.10 gears, slotted rotors, rebuilt calipers
  • Rear: Full Floater, completely rebuilt, factory limited slip, diff rebuilt, 4.10 gears, all hardware in the drum brakes is new
  • Steel extended brake lines Both drive shafts rebuilt and balanced
  • Suspension & Steering:
  • OME heavy-duty lift with 2 additional leafs in the rear springs, greasable shackles Rides very well and can carry huge loads, 33 inch BFG A/Ts, but they are worn
  • 4x4 labs steering system (steering arms, heavy duty steering and relay rods, FJ80 series ends). Steers tight and does not wander-much better than the factory steering
  • Steering box rebuilt by West Texas Off Road Steering pump from low mileage HJ61 (G&S)
  • Electrical:
  • Dual battery system, one optima red, one optima blue (deep cycle) Managed by a Powergate system, which insulates the starting battery and automatically charges the lower battery first
  • ARB harness for headlights
  • Marine Fuse box in cab, two outlets in the rear
  • Factory electric door locks. The solenoids all work, including the rear hatch lock
  • Fully functional EDIC system

• Body: Not perfect. Has dings and scratches and some rust repair that has been done well, but not pretty. This truck has been to Baja many times, to Utah, to Colorado, New Mexico and the California desert. It shows its age and its use. If you need a perfect and shiny mall queen, this is not for you. Having said that, the body is completely solid, has no rattles and no holes. This is far, far from a rust bucket. The frame is near perfect. Factory high roof Safari Snorkel, hooked up correctly
  • Bumpers:
  • Front: TJM aluminum winch bumper (no winch)
  • Rear: SROR rear custom bumper with swing out tire carrier, Fuel can carrier, tool carrier (shovels, axes�)
  • Cab:
  • The inside is clean and in great shape
  • Factory inclinometer
  • Drivers seat has SOR seat cushion
  • Front passenger seat is factory wide seat for 2 people
  • Custom consoles (wood)
  • Pioneer radio with CD and ipod input
  • FJ62 rear bench with head rests
  • FJ62 rear shoulder belts with custom panels
  • SOR heavy duty cargo mat
  • Fishing rod holders in high roof
  • Aussie sliding windows (one has a small rip in the mosquito netting)
  • Custom seat covers
  • Wagon Gear tailgate storage compartment

• Technically this truck is a 10 out of 10. The engine starts up easily, smokes for 15 seconds as any 2H, and then runs smooth as can be. With the turbo it has lots of power and still gets 20mpg on any day. The H55F 5 speed transmission is practically new and perfect. The transfer case works perfectly. No rattles anywhere and no leaks. Everything works, including the A/C. I am sure I am forgetting things. Don�t hesitate to ask for specifics or pictures of anything. I also have photo documentation of the rebuilt and engine replacement from a few years back.

Nice cruiser, but I really like the little toy pickup:popcorn:

Love it! Could you tell me the paint color and also, where did you get the stripe kit for the side? I have a freeborn red 60 and that red stripe in your color tan would look real sweet on it!

The stripes are the way it came, I think they are factory for Hunduras.

Cheers,

Michael

very nice ride
i know the owner and he is extremely honest and West Coast Cruisers does excellent work.

for that price i am tempted but i don't need another diesel cruiser.

bump for quick sale.

(and a turbo'd 2h is WAY more powerful than a 1HZ)

SOLD

Thanks everyone for the interest.
The truck has been sold to an extremely nice guy, who will take her on an Alaska to Terra de Fuego trip.
Cheers,
Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom