8274 winch mounted on fj40 stock bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i picked up used 8274-50 replaced motor, solenoids, paint it and soon mounting it to my restored/refurbished fj40 with a stock bumper up front (if it will work). 1) is the stock front bumper strong enough or does it need to be re-enforced/ or replaced? 2) do i cut a slot in the stock bumper for the rope or lower the attachment pts of the winch so the line goes under the bumper i have 2.5in lift and 33in tires. any feed back and pics of your would be appreciated. thank you

The 8274 needs a vertical flat plate to mount to; by the time you weld that on to the stock bumper, you might as well build one from scratch or buy one, IMO. I bought a 4+ bumper for mine and it was all bolt-up, no hassles.

The stock 40 bumper will NOT hold a winch. Simple 40 front bumpers are relatively easy to fabricate. As 1911 said you will need a mounting plate. For the bumper some beefy square stock, cap and angel the ends, and install 2 recovery points.

Last edited:
. thanks alli was afraid of that.. ill do a search for bumper options

Anyone know who actually does a 8274 mount for use with the OEM bumper? I realize this has been asked in numerous threads, but all my searches result in folks showing their aftermarket or home-brewed bumpers. I'd really like to have a mount like the one pictured. Can anyone shed any light on who did the one here or has done one like it?

1970-TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-FJ-40-SUV-lot-508-barrett-jackson-2014.jpg

This is my aftermarket bumper. It's 3/16" steel. That is the norm for bumper, can take the load without
being too heavy. It's exact dimensions of factory, so you could just find someone to press you one out of a
sheet, easy. Take your old bumper to them. The plate is 1/4" I think, maybe 5/16". That is up to you,
being a bit thicker won't cost much in weight penalty. The bolt pattern is of course as specified by WARN.
I didn't take exact measurements of the plate, if you want I can. . BTW, I pushed mine back by removing the
factory tow hooks and using the rear hole as a front hole, and then pushing the bumper back. I think its' about
1 1/2". I can still get an 8274, with 1/2" to spare from the bib.

IMG_2169.JPG
IMG_2170.JPG

This is obviously not all together. Body off restoration that has stalled. As usual, if I hadn't
got two more cruisers it'd probably be done......But that frame is mint, so it's no changing
one little bit.

Resurrecting an old thread. I'm interested in mounting a Warn 8274 but retaining the look of the stock bumper. I'm willing to go through the bumper to keep the profile as low as possible. TIA.

There may have been a factory bumper or factory add-on for a winch plate on an OEM bumper, I remember seeing it in a fiche somewhere.

Warn used to make a factory replica sort of bumper with a plate to mount an upright winch. Sometimes you find them on Craigslist paired with an old 5687/Bellevue winch.

These days buy a 4+ or HFS or go homebrew. And if you go homebrew either go though the bumper or over it. Not under it like a previous poster mentioned.

resurrecting this thread. looking to mount to OEM bumper, and reinforce accordingly behind the bumper to frame. anyone have experience with this, photos of process and what worked/didnt? planning to make a winch plate, water jet cutting from specs on my 4plus bumper, but like OEM look better. cheers -max

Anyone know who actually does a 8274 mount for use with the OEM bumper? I realize this has been asked in numerous threads, but all my searches result in folks showing their aftermarket or home-brewed bumpers. I'd really like to have a mount like the one pictured. Can anyone shed any light on who did the one here or has done one like it?

View attachment 859887
any idea whose fj40 this is? lookig for more info/pics on how they braced the backside of the bumper. cheers -max

Did you look at that old pic of my FJ40? It’s just a flat plate drilled for forward bolt holes
of the winch with the slot cut for the rope. You will have to cut a slot in your factory bumper
and just weld the plate to the back of the bumper. That’s it. There usually isn’t any extra
bracing

1668737923396.png

This is how oem does it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom