8274 noisy motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a old 8274. The motor makes a howling noise for the first 30 seconds or so of use but then goes away and is fine. Since the noise goes away, this leads me to believe the motor needs some sort of lube somewhere. Am I right in this conclusion? And if so where do I put lube, and what type do I use?

The motors turn in sealed bearings, there is no way to lube them. Replace the bearings, or the motor.

The motor for the Warn 9.5XP winch is a bolt-in replacement (though you may have to replace the spur gear on the end of the motor shaft) and with more than 2X the horsepower of the original, it is a nice upgrade.

I had a similar growl on my winch (coincidentally right after replacing the stock motor with a new 9.5xp motor). It really sounded horrible. It was a brand new motor, so I knew that wasn't the issue. It was the drum turning in the nylon bushing on the stationary mount (DS). It was all dry and caked-up with dirt. I pulled the mount and cleaned/lubed the drum and bushing and the growl was gone. I guess a little more maintenance is required than what I've been giving it. You could have the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom