8274 Free spool problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new to me Warn 8274 that came on a '77 fj45. The winch has a build date of April of 1977. When i took delivery, the free spool knob was very sticky so I took the knob out, cleaned it up to operate freely in and out. The winch operates as it should with the knob pushed in and engaged. When the knob is pulled out it does disengage the winch as it should but the line will not free spool out as it should. What would cause this?

The bushing on the other end of the drum is frozen or full of shyt
Why does it winch freely in and out if that bushing is froze up?

Or the brake assembly is dirty/rusty. Mine acted same as yours but a quick disassembly and cleaning of the brake and it spools great now.

Most times, a short burst of powering out (just bumping the remote switch) will free it up and then you can free spool out the rest of the way.

Most times, a short burst of powering out (just bumping the remote switch) will free it up and then you can free spool out the rest of the way.
I tried that numerous times…no luck

I also tried some very light "persuasion" by trying to free spool lightly in reverse off of a tree, again, no luck.
It really feels like more than just rust or smudge or crud because in free spool it feels locked up.

Well here are pics, video won’t load but it does move freely, ratchet and drum.

53A4F0A7-5D8B-4369-94AA-50C8BFFCA230.jpeg

B5244DEB-3546-4C31-B8FF-52220CB8614B.jpeg

My sticky brake had nothing to do with the pawl; the brake shaft was dirty with surface rust, preventing the discs from achieving adequate separation to reduce drag. So I took some emery cloth to the shafts, cleaned up the discs a bit, and put it all back together. Works good now.

I agree that the end support is easier to check and should be checked first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom