80 Series transmission.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know the basic rundowns on the 80 series transmissions? Did they change? If so what years are what transmissions?

I am trying to find a transmission for Sam as he wants to have a spare at least as standby in the event that his goes out after it overheated last july.

His is a 1995

I believe they can be swapped interchangeably (a442/a343) so he may prefer one over the other as the earlier has a mechanical lockup and a lower first gear while the later is lighter and quieter. Same electronics too apparently.

Okay... you rabbit holed me.... he needs and wants the A343 that should be what his truck already has in it (check the spec plate). Shift kits for the 343 are $120 while the upgraded valve body for the 442 are $1200. Also the 343 was apparently made for transit buses and the thrashing and heavy loads they take on daily.

Okay... you rabbit holed me.... he needs and wants the A343 that should be what his truck already has in it (check the spec plate). Shift kits for the 343 are $120 while the upgraded valve body for the 442 are $1200. Also the 343 was apparently made for transit buses and the thrashing and heavy loads they take on daily.

Holy hell, thanks for the write up! I will definitely see if he can get under there and check what he has already.

He should be able to check the VIN/build plate on the door jamb and it should say what his truck has. Bottom line on the plate that has tire inflation specs should have transmission code. 95s came with both versions (a442 and a343) depending on build month...

Last edited:
If he can get one that needs a rebuild at a cheap price and get a Whole Automatics( Out of Aussieland) valve body kits that would be bullet proof

I believe they can be swapped interchangeably (a442/a343) so he may prefer one over the other as the earlier has a mechanical lockup and a lower first gear while the later is lighter and quieter. Same electronics too apparently.

i don't believe they can be swapped. The A442F has a separate control unit. Later models had the trans control as part of the main engine ECU. but, others will likely know more the me... ;)

Last edited:
As for control, and I haven't torn into the controls but it looks like if you wanted to go A442 in an A343 truck you need to go with the older OBD1 ECU which would have emissions implications. Or, you'd need to splice the 442 trans controller into the system which might not be that hard, especially if the 95 model year came with both. The harness might be ready to accept either but again I have not had a chance to dig into this.

While the 442 has a reputation for being tough, the 343 is smaller and allows the cats to route within the frame rails which can be nice for sliders and probably a cooler floor.

Frank

Just poking around... both ECU's have outputs commanding the solenoids. They both go to what is essentially an AMP to up the current. And, note that the 91-92 80's had the FJ62's A340 auto which shares the same control architecture with the A343 and even the transmission in Phulcum's FJ Cruiser...

i have the A442F manual if you need it.

Pages from ect.jpg
Pages from ect2.jpg

Think I see a problem, note the lack of "ST" in the A343 schematic...
1598306059772.png

Great info to learn... Just checked and both my 95 and 97 have the A343F tranny... good to know.
What's interesting is the build date on my 95 says 01/95, but I guess early model '95' vehicles are built in the early fall or late summer of 1994...

Most of the time Toyota starts making the next model year around August to October of the previous year... You will see a lot of 8/ and 10/ dates for large changes within a model line... Example 8/80 and 10/82 were big change dates for the 40 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom