Registry 80 Series Registry (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1997 40th Ann Land Cruiser
2. Wah00
3. <tbd>
4. 132k
5. as stock as can be at this point, other than aftermarket touchscreen radio and cup holder.
6. daily driver

bought on the classifieds (thanks, WindRiverCruiser!). See link for lots of photos... SOLD - Sun Valley Idaho 40th Anniversary 3x Locked.

This is my first Land Cruiser after admiring them for years. I have enjoyed this forum as a lurker for a while. There is an amazing amount of knowledge here - thanks to all of you - I am sorry I won’t have as much to contribute. I have been driving a late model full size GMC Sierra, really got bored with it and didn’t like anything else out there - so I kept coming back to these 80s. After finding this one I’m all in - have sold the GMC and have happily gone back in time.

My plan is to keep this clean and stock for now as a throwback daily driver, maybe converting it to an over lander one day in the distant future, maybe not.

uhm if anything they hijacked the idea from us.

we already have such an item it is called ROTW and much more detailed.

just 02

IMG_20190731_190856.jpg

1. 1997
2.Emmanuel
3. No name yet
5. 75mm Slinky lift, ARB bullbar, Warn M12000, Marlin Crawler Low range (not installed yet), Dash cover,33s, nothing else major yet.
6. Camping , road trip, wheeling and moving friends

_MG_1963.jpg

Been lurking for years on Mud from when I first bought my 96 Tacoma, to my HJ61, and now a HDJ81 I've been building for about three years. Got hooked on the diesels when I'd go to Japan and Australia for work and finally saved up to import one a few years back. That one couldn't get CA registered, so I sold it, and had better luck with my HDJ81.

1. 1990 HDJ81 VX with all the trimmings from Japan.
2. my name: John
3. Cruiser's name: Ziggy Mojave Dust
4. 170k miles
5. 3" Slinky coils, King 2.5, Delta 4º, LegendX 3" turbo-back exhaust, PDI Intercooler, LRA 38 gallon replacement tank, Costa Fab front bumper (hey Rich!), 4x4 Labs rear, White Knuckle sliders, 3:1 t-case gears, 4.88 Nitro, EGT/Boost/Trans gauges on Driver's pillar, Go Fast RTT, Land Shark KISS drawers, 315 Falken Wildpeak AT on Methods, stripped the plastic off the truck and painted it semi-gloss with Toyota 4J9 desert tan paint.
6. I run a cycling website, shoot photos, and cover bike races from all over the American West. It's a road trip mobile, scout vehicle for shoots, a daily driver that isn't afraid to play in rocks, and usually, is my rolling home base for 3 months out of the year. We've run a bunch of good trails in it all over California, Arizona, and Utah, but I prefer to have it operational, so I tend to take it easy for the most part and not get in over my head since we are also usually out solo.

Mud has helped me learn so much about this rig and diesels in general. Still got a few bugs to work out but overall, very happy with this four by. Figured I'd finally join to chime in with things I've learned while owning this 81.

View attachment 2080274

View attachment 2080276

View attachment 2080277

View attachment 2080280

Just saw these photos. Noticed that you are registered in CA. Did you have issues doing so? But it says the rig is in NM? I did a conversion in CA to a 93 FZJ80 that I had for over 20 years. It has now a 1HDFT/H151. The key was going to a DMV office far from the Bay Area, otherwise they send you to a ref station.

Just saw these photos. Noticed that you are registered in CA. Did you have issues doing so? But it says the rig is in NM? I did a conversion in CA to a 93 FZJ80 that I had for over 20 years. It has now a 1HDFT/H151. The key was going to a DMV office far from the Bay Area, otherwise they send you to a ref station.
From what I have read, as I was thinking of a diesel swap as a future possibility, up to and including 1997, you can walk into a DMV, say you want a diesel title and they have to "inspect" that you do in fact have a diesel engine and change the title for you. There is no SMOG or anything because it is before 1998 and for Diesels SMOG starts in 1998.

From what I have read, as I was thinking of a diesel swap as a future possibility, up to and including 1997, you can walk into a DMV, say you want a diesel title and they have to "inspect" that you do in fact have a diesel engine and change the title for you. There is no SMOG or anything because it is before 1998 and for Diesels SMOG starts in 1998.
Thanks. This is what I did. My question is regarding your rig. It is less then 25 years old and imported from Japan as a used vehicle. And... still registered in CA. I’m puzzled.
Seems like a really nice rig. Is it manual?
Took me two years to find the 1HDFT/H151, but it sure was worth it.
423790F7-FA8D-4DD8-9494-6A38666FCBD4.jpeg

Thanks. This is what I did. My question is regarding your rig. It is less then 25 years old and imported from Japan as a used vehicle. And... still registered in CA. I’m puzzled.
Seems like a really nice rig. Is it manual?
Took me two years to find the 1HDFT/H151, but it sure was worth it.
I think you have mixed up me with Bogan. I just post mine before your comment. I just have a 1FZ US model. Would sure love a manual 1HD but probably will end up with an LS when I have the time and money, as it makes more sense to me here with parts and power/fuel economy. Meanwhile the 1FZ is serving me well.

I think you have mixed up me with Bogan. I just post mine before your comment. I just have a 1FZ US model. Would sure love a manual 1HD but probably will end up with an LS when I have the time and money, as it makes more sense to me here with parts and power/fuel economy. Meanwhile the 1FZ is serving me well.
Oops. Apologies. 😀

Hey,
1997 FZJ80 3XLOCKED
Al..ex.
Padron (Was gonna go with land cruiser larry, BUT later found its name from original owner..named for the town in canada he got stuck in snowstorm 3 days, AND DROVE OUT!) ... good truck
268,xxx
Mods hmmm lol no.
But I do want to acquire some various jdm and euro parts to convert into mine
Im going to "mod" my rocker panel when I weld in a new peice lol... I'm gonna be forever baselining!
Cheers!
Al & Padron

20200420_142605.jpg

Ps importing one of those diesels from Japan seems like the way to go. I'm gathering as much jdm goodies and euro spec stuff I like if you see anything good I'm always looking ;)

Last edited:
1. 1996 LC

2. Clint

3. No sure yet. Something clever to do with the horrible cigarette smell from the previous owner. Maybe Cigarella, Ash, or just Smokie. Ideas??

4. 131,000

5. TJM front bumper, milemarker winch, lightforce driving lights, used HiLift, custom rear bumper bumper by previous owner with hitch and tire carrier, Icon wheels with 35" Nittos, OME 2" lift with Icon 2.0 shocks, regeared with 3.88, elocker axles but need to be wired in, Baja Rack, very nice interior other than the smoke smell.

20200306_141412.jpg

20200306_145901.jpg

20200306_141359.jpg

20200215_142827.jpg

20200415_170201.jpg

Nice rig. Hope your getting residuals for the billboard you'll be driving around.

Nice rig. Hope your getting residuals for the billboard you'll be driving around.
It actually has less logos on it. The fella I go from worked at Nitro here locally. Seemed like a real nice guy. He spent a bunch wrapping it. I've been slowly removing some as i have time. Here's what it looked like when I bought it.

20200215_142742.jpg

20200215_142751.jpg

So it's got ghost lettering on now, it will slowly fade away. Is the diagonal black wrap or paint?

1. 1997 LC
2. Steve
3. 115K
5. everything stock and original, but did put new OME springs and BP-51s - 2.5”
6. Owned this FZJ80 for a little while now - he is a brother to my 87 FJ60 and I got ride of my ‘02 100.

F4D28255-8084-4E2E-ABF5-885A692E8ED6.jpeg

1. 1995 LC
2. Thomas
3. Bruiser
4. 161K
5. Lifted, 35's, Snorkel, Winch, Turbo coming soon... The signature line has more
6. Daily Driver, Family camping rig, Hunting and Expedition trips
60694280525__7A807863-4B2D-450C-932A-DFB0BAB35132 (1).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom