80 Series Headers/Exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
The guys at ACC Garage are working on new header-to-resonator replacement exhaust kit. Here are some teaser pics of the first install. I neglected to get a pic of the muffler, but it is nicely sized and surprisingly quiet.

What I know about it at the moment:
  • Maintains EGR port at rear of head with the 1/4" spacer option (seen in bright aluminum on last pic)
  • Eliminates CATs (ie, offroad use only, not guaranteed to pass State inspections)
  • Over the frame after the Y pipe
  • Bungs provided for factory O2 sensors. Post CAT dash light eliminator in works.
  • Expert installation recommended (AC line needs to move away from block slightly, some hanger bracketry fabrication/modification needed + extracting 30 year old exhaust is a frustrating task)
  • The sound is nearly OEM quiet, but it has a much lower note than stock when it rumbles. All bass, no whine.
More info to come (keep tabs on their FB page). Not that they expect a lot of gain, but they are logging dyno data and will post results, if significant.

80-header-exhaust-kit (3).JPG
Resonator
80-header-exhaust-kit (4).JPG
Over the rear axle
80-header-exhaust-kit (5).JPG
Where the CATs normally are located, then to the collector
80-header-exhaust-kit (6).JPG
Flanges for collector are 1-piece on y-pipe and separate for the header ends
80-header-exhaust-kit (10).JPG

Stout flanges shown with 1/4" aluminum spacer for EGR port.

Does it still pass under the frame? :hmm:

Nothing yet. Like I said, this was the first install and they had to fab some brackets. So they are looking at getting those parts "kit ready" before calculating pricing. And they want to test drive it a while to make sure they haven't got any issues, then it will go back on the dyno for final numbers. I'll keep this thread up to date as soon as I hear anything.

They will post updates here too.

sub'd :popcorn:

OK, good news! Dyno test showed 20HP gain. Still waiting on final pricing.

Dugan chopped the resonator off this one and I recorded video of before and after for sound comparison. Will post up clips shortly.

80-header-exhaust-kit (11).JPG

Just want to let you know the descriptions are opposite of the video titles, although pretty obvious which is which when you watch.

Here's the latest from their FB post, and slight correction on HP gain:
ACC Garage
We installed our new exhaust system on our shop LX450 and took her back to the dyno. 17 hp gain over the factory system (mileage numbers to come), not bad for bolt on. We like the fit for the most part, we are going to do a little tweaking on the next run. We also cut off the resonator after the dyno run, we like the way it sounds much better without it, the next run will come without the resonator. At this time we are still running the numbers, as it stands now these systems should run right around $2130.00, this includes the header to tail pipe kit, EGR plates, new studs, nuts, gaskets, hangers, and O2 adapters. This kit will be for off-road use only, although your check engine light will not come on, this system is not legal for on road use. Your local exhaust shop can add cats if you so desire.

To be clear, you will not pass emissions inspections (legally in GA) with the CATs removed from the system. The O2 sensor adapter only keeps the dash light from coming on. After the year 2022, it won't be a problem in GA for 1997 models, and sooner if your rig is older. Any exhaust shop is capable of adding a CAT to this system.

Just want to let you know the descriptions are opposite of the video titles, although pretty obvious which is which when you watch.
Fixed, thanks.

If you dont have the EGR can you run with out the EGR spacer? Also where are the O2 sensors located?

With my 4x4 labs rear bumper i would need to chop the rear resonator just like they did. Too bad you cant get a rear pipe with out it and save a few dollars.

I really like these. I hope they come up with the brackets to mount it and keep using the OEM style rubber mounts. I would like to do the install myself. My exhaust is not in terrible condition, just has some rattles and dents. But the cats (1994) hit the sliders and make noise at time. I would love to get rid of them.

On a side not, and i am not advocating polluting and not running cats, but when i was young and stupider in high school i had a car that had cats removed. It was older European car with Bosch jetronic. It ran so clean that even with a high lift cam, headers not cats it passed emissions with flying colors. So it is possible.

From my buddy @smittycrusher 's thread who is installing one of the 1st gen kits. Dugan (ACC) posted this update.

Hey, just a quick update from ACC Garage,

We installed the exhaust system on our shop (LX)450, we did have to make some small mods to the system (we will make these changes for the next run). The dyno showed a 17.5 HP gain over the factory system. The system in my opinion was a bit on the quiet side and as you know resonators and off road don't play well, so we cut it off (after the dyno). It now has a slightly more aggressive sound, we are trying different mufflers now to dial in the aggressive sound without the droning at highway speed.

With the mods we had to make to get the proper fitment IE. O2 bung, U.S. hangers, EGR plates, no resonator we have come to the conclusion that we can provide a better system that is truly bolt on, made here in the U.S. out of ASTM A269 304 stainless steel tubing that is purge TIG welded. So that's what we are doing.

The first U.S. run will not have cats, we will do some more R&D and design a bolt in cat section for street use. For now these kits will come with the necessary parts to keep your CEL off, this coupled with our EGR exhaust plates your truck wont know the difference. We can sell these kits because they are for off road or competition use only !!

Before you say it, read this...

Did You Know...The Indianapolis 500, Daytona 500, Nascar Races, Baja 1000, Drifting, Rock Crawling and all other Professional and Amature Off Road Competitive events are exempt from The 1990 Clean Air Act. Within this Act Congress EXEMPTED "Non Road Vehicles Used Solely For Competition" ( EPA Bulletin " EPA420-F-02-045). Issued September 2002 by the EPA Office of Transportation and Air Quality. The EPA therefore adopted regulations that generally EXCLUDE from the new regulations vehicles and parts used for competition.

Once the bugs are worked out we will stock these systems and the individual components, we will sell the individual components, part systems and complete down to the last nut and bolt kits.

Best,
Dugan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom