80 series gear heads plz help! 93 LC80 engine cranks but doesn't fire up, when it firs its shuts off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone.

This issue exhausted me and my pocket, and nearly driving me to lose my mind. Your help will be much appreciated.

I have a 93 LC80 1fz-fe engine Auto tran. Problem has 2 parts.

Part one: NO CEL, cranking no firing

Initial issue it cranks good but engine doesn't fire up. When that happens:
1- No CEL on dash
2- +12 running through all 3 wires of the fusible link, black fuse box Phillips screw
3- EFI rely ticked, EFI 15amp and 7.5 charge fuse checked with V-meter
4- +12 on Pin 2,4 of the EFI rely
5- +12 on pin 8 B+ in the diagnostic port
6- +12 on the wire powering the ignition coil.
7- Ground connectors to chaise are all tightened.

I noticed that one of the 3 links of the fusible links (the pink one) lost its clip and was skinned and connected directly from the previous owner. this tested +6 VDC as it was very very dirty. I cleaned it up and reconnected it good, it tested +12. After doing that, CEL came back on and it fired up and drove fine but while driving, the engine shut off completely, CEL wasn't illuminating, still +12 on the skinned pink wire of the fusible link, seconds later CEL came back on and the engine fired back again.

Part 2: CEL on, Engine fires then it shuts off, CEL goes off then on again.

I replaced the fusible Link, EFI relay, 15amp EFI fuse, 7.5amp Charge fuse. The CEL came back after I replaced the F-link, engine fired from the first crank, and drove it for few days (with AC) for over 100km each trip, she ran beautiful. Then all of a sudden while parked engine running in idle with the AC on, the engine shut off, and the CEL wasn't illuminate. Few seconds later, CEL came back on, it stared and managed to get home with AC turned off. I had the time today to inspect it thoroughly with a V-meter.

WHILE CEL ON, Starting from the
- battery +12,
- battery links +12,
- fusible links all 3 gave +12,
- Phillips screw in the black fuse box +12,
- EFI rely ticks and pin 2,4 gave +12,
- EFI and charge fuse gave + 12,
- B+ gave +12.
CEL was on so I had it run for a while without the AC, then had the AC on, after half an hour (while the AC on) the engine shut off, CEL went off then came back again. I started it again, then as soon as I turned the AC on it went off immediately and the CEL was not illuminating. While CEL was off, I checked everything listed above again. One thing I've noticed, the black box Phillips screw gave +12 BUT the EFI/ CHARGE fuses read something like +1 VDC indicating no current (where when the CEL was on, they gave +12). While the EFI/ CHARGE had no current, I skinned a little bit of the MAIN fusible link wire between the gray clip and the black box, it read +12, AM1 and AM2 links still reading +12. After couple of minutes CEL came back and the EFI/CHARGE fuses read +12, engine started.

The reason I skinned/checked the MAIN wire in the fusible link because I read somewhere that (one way to check if the MAIN link is ok from the driver seat is to turn the AC on) and since my engine went of when I had the AC on the second time.

Does this mean bad wiring feeding into the black box somewhere in the LOOM between the MAIN fusible link and the black box? or bad wiring between black box and the fuses within it? (I removed the back box, looked at the underneath wiring, it all looked intact). Maybe bad harness loom?. Would MAF be a responsible of turning CEL on/ off?. Anything behind the left kick panel?. Fuses in the driver knee side are all checked OK with the V-meter.

New parts changed so far trying to eliminate every possible reason, and since the car didnt come with service history when I bought it:

Fuel: fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator, injectors are all checked.
Electric parts: Ignition coil, distributor cables to IGN coil/ spark plugs, distributor rotor, spark plugs, TPS, fusible link, EFI relay, EFI fuse, Charge fuse, ECU IGN fuse, Fuel pump rely.

Last edited:
Is it an early 1993? What is the part number of your engine ECU. There are known issues with the earlier 93 or perhaps all 93 engine ECU's. The updated part number is 89661-60221. You may have part number 89661-60220 iirc.
So the problem may be the engine ECU itself.

Is it an early 1993? What is the part number of your engine ECU. There are known issues with the earlier 93 or perhaps all 93 engine ECU's. The updated part number is 89661-60221. You may have part number 89661-60220 iirc.
So the problem may be the engine ECU itself.
Very interesting!. My LC production year on the plate stuck on the diver door panel says 1992 which is the first production year of the 93LC with the 4.5 1fz-fe. Where can I access the ECU part number other than from the ECU it self?

Thanks baldilocks!

Very interesting!. My LC production year on the plate stuck on the diver door panel says 1992 which is the first production year of the 93LC with the 4.5 1fz-fe. Where can I access the ECU part number other than from the ECU it self?

Thanks baldilocks!
Try ToyoDIY.com and then use your VIN Number to find your ECU and then your part number.

Thanks baldilocks!
I don't have a suggestion better than in post #4 for finding out your ECU p/n but I would bet you have the -60220. Accessing the ECU isn't all that time consuming. You may try asking a dealership. As far as I know my 93 still has the -60220 as well with no problems yet knock on wood.

I don't have a suggestion better than in post #4 for finding out your ECU p/n but I would bet you have the -60220. Accessing the ECU isn't all that time consuming. You may try asking a dealership. As far as I know my 93 still has the -60220 as well with no problems yet knock on wood.
Man! Ill do further research on the ECU issues. Ill be happy if that solves it as I'm looking at looms and they are dam expensive!.

IMG_7269.JPG
Just checked my ECU under the glove box and the part number is different. It's 60210! I've attached a pic

Last edited:
View attachment 1364327
Just checked my ECU under the glove box and the part number is different. It's 60210! I've attached a pic
This is a GCC spec ECU, the part number doesn't show any changes from 1992 till 1997 so I guess the GCC spec ecu wasn't revised like the US spec one.

Your signature shows that you're located in the UAE, I'd suggest you either get the ECU checked and repaired or replaced from a Sharjah scrap yard. You could direct message me, I could help with both of these options.

This is a GCC spec ECU, the part number doesn't show any changes from 1992 till 1997 so I guess the GCC spec ecu wasn't revised like the US spec one.

Your signature shows that you're located in the UAE, I'd suggest you either get the ECU checked and repaired or replaced from a Sharjah scrap yard. You could direct message me, I could help with both of these options.
Thanks! sent you a msg

I did not notice that you were not in the U.S. I hope you are on your way to fixing your problem and ending those frustrations.

I did not notice that you were not in the U.S. I hope you are on your way to fixing your problem and ending those frustrations.
Im talking my car to the scrap yard, they have Jap, US, and GCC LC's, will try to plug a US ECU and test it. I've narrowed it it down with a V-meter, that when the CEL stops illuminating, I lose current in my EFI 15amp fuse and 7.5 Charge fuse though my fusible link is new. So either the main loom wiring the black fuse box, or the ECU.

Thanks for the tip anyways, its a good place to start.

Crappy....sorry I admit to not reading the whole post as it was a bit detailed (which it's a good thing). Hope the ECU swap solves the issue.

Have you checked your air flow meter? I made the HUUUGE mistake of unscrewing the two screws on the wiring connector and trying to pull it out of the housing to clean it. Expensive mistake! Would turn over and fire but would immediately shut off. $225.00 for a used AFM, fired right up.

Have you checked your air flow meter? I made the HUUUGE mistake of unscrewing the two screws on the wiring connector and trying to pull it out of the housing to clean it. Expensive mistake! Would turn over and fire but would immediately shut off. $225.00 for a used AFM, fired right up.
You know what! Glad saw your post because I was planning to do the same this morning. I'll have it checked carefully. But when yours failed, did the CEL stop illuminating on your dash?

Not sure on the 93 but if it has one, what about the crankshaft position sensor?
Would that cause the CEL to stop illuminating?

Sorry if this was covered already but when the CEL comes on, can a code be pulled ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom