80 series cab and chassis differences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this information is available somewhere here but didn't have luck finding in a search. I am aware of the axle and motor differences between the 91-92 and 93-97 LC but my main question is the differences in the cab and the chassis. Is the cab and the frame the same through the whole generation of the USA spec 80 besides motor mounts? Are all of the cross members particularly towards the rear of the vehicle the same shape and size? Is the cab the same besides most likely some firewall differences?

Also, just a quick axle question. Will the diff of a non full-floater work for a later full floater axle assembly?

Thanks.

I have heard conflicting things. Some people say the body and chassis are the same from 91-97. Than others have said the 91 and 92 models had some small differences in the body length and width in the cargo area.

Personally I have owned both and I think they are identical.

There are differences, especially in the 3fe vs. 1fe powered vehicles, but there were changes made at several intervals of the 80 series run. AFAIK no major changes in dimensions were ever made. There were changes though. The inner fenders changed in '93 to accommodate the new engine and peripherals. There were modifications to the frame in the areas relating to the panhard bracket and crossbrace at some point, possibly in '95 or '96. Those are some of the ones I am aware of through work I have done, and I'm positive there are others that I've forgotten or not run across yet.

There are differences, especially in the 3fe vs. 1fe powered vehicles, but there were changes made at several intervals of the 80 series run. AFAIK no major changes in dimensions were ever made. There were changes though. The inner fenders changed in '93 to accommodate the new engine and peripherals. There were modifications to the frame in the areas relating to the panhard bracket and crossbrace at some point, possibly in '95 or '96. Those are some of the ones I am aware of through work I have done, and I'm positive there are others that I've forgotten or not run across yet.
Thanks Spike. So the panhard cross member you speak of, that's the one that has a larger gap on the drivers side to accommodate gas filler correct? Is the difference in the actual shape of the cross member or is it mostly how the panhard connects? Have you noticed any differences in the spring buckets of the 91/92 compared to the newer versions? Thanks for the help.

Thanks Spike. So the panhard cross member you speak of, that's the one that has a larger gap on the drivers side to accommodate gas filler correct? Is the difference in the actual shape of the cross member or is it mostly how the panhard connects? Have you noticed any differences in the spring buckets of the 91/92 compared to the newer versions? Thanks for the help.
I should have been more specific- I am talking about the front panhard. I am not intimately familiar with the changes, so I can't give you details- I just know there are some.

I've crashed the cab of my very complicated rig last year (the cab was IIRC 1995 LHD 1HD-T), bought a new (..well :D) 1992 LHD 1HZ poverty pack and had the 92 cab moved to my chassis. I know my mechanic was complaining about different front seat mount points apart the things mentioned above.

Also the non-viscous coupling HF2A is some 3 inches shorter versus the HF2AV I've had on my later model. The transmission frame member is thus moved forward (and the rear drive shaft is longer, the front is identical). Not sure if it's year or trim related though.

I should have been more specific- I am talking about the front panhard. I am not intimately familiar with the changes, so I can't give you details- I just know there are some.

Changes were internal bracing inside the frame.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom