80 series axles/ suspension under 60 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to start this project, pulled axles/ all brackets from a 96 lx450 that was/ is being parted and planning to modify/ install onto a customers 85 fj60! Stay tuned for updates!

The front is infinitely easier than a frame swap. The rear, on the other hand... :grinpimp:

If you can design a rear suspension, it may be easier to do that. The 80 rear section is huge and won’t fit as-is due to the 60’s gas tank. It’ll need lots of whittling. I’ll be curious to see what you come up with!

Holler if you need anything

🍺

Way easier to keep the 60 frame in the grand scheme of things.

I don’t see why you’d go to massive effort of putting the crap 80 rear suspension on a 60 frame instead of just going single triangulated with some shorter coilovers

The front is infinitely easier than a frame swap. The rear, on the other hand... :grinpimp:

If you can design a rear suspension, it may be easier to do that. The 80 rear section is huge and won’t fit as-is due to the 60’s gas tank. It’ll need lots of whittling. I’ll be curious to see what you come up with!

Holler if you need anything

🍺
Yea I’m still working on an idea for this, I agree the front will be very easy! I’ll be working on the front first I have some ideas for the rear, but time will tell!

Way easier to keep the 60 frame in the grand scheme of things.

I don’t see why you’d go to massive effort of putting the crap 80 rear suspension on a 60 frame instead of just going single triangulated with some shorter coilovers
Might come down to that but I’m going to try for 80 rear and see if I can pull it off, a lot cheaper because I already have all of the parts! Also for a daily/ trail rig, I personally like the rear 80 set up over coilovers and a true link setup! If this were turning into some kind of rock crawler, I’d agree with a 4 link coilover setup!

Last edited:
Moving along, a lot of grunt work cleaning up brackets, got the drivers side spring bucket and control arm bracket tacked in, hopefully get the passenger side done tomorrow if time allows and set it down on the springs for a test fit before welding solid! Because of how the 60 frame angles in I had to do some modifications to the control arm bracket to get it straight and the proper distance side to side!

2E3CAC67-5BAC-45D4-8F6F-CA4FA3B0F493.jpeg

286D26E3-F2FB-49CB-9F09-8076E75E9B28.jpeg

7E812532-2B87-48D0-856B-A4B10CFC1FA6.jpeg

15F7C176-C515-4374-8D78-E998288EC0C6.jpeg

E1D8B224-D550-43D6-9217-B26CCFF868AC.jpeg

I also think swapping the whole frame is the hardest way to go about it.
It is way faster to fab up a few suspension brackets then a dozen body mounts, powertrain, fuel tank, etc.
@braino is showing what’s up. Nice work.

Now I just don’t get if you’re going to effort why limit yourself to the 80 series suspension that uses the front axle as a sway bar and has a 4-link rear without any of the benefits of a 4-link rear.. :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom