80 series AC compressors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why does the compressor need to be replaced?

Using rockauto pricing, the compressor is $180.79, expansion valve $14.69, drier $11.31, all Denso parts.

dang. rockauto strikes again. thanks.
so i ran it up to the LC place who did me a favor and took a look. they did a little juju (no gauges) and think it is the expansion valve. so i plunked down for in stock parts and plan to put them in today.
supposedly gauge readings don’t mean much i am hearing. and the sight glass is helpful but not unless you do some additional fiddling checking hoses and messing with the heater control valve and the AC controls - along with a healthy amount of visual inspection - from what i could tell.
difference in price between a $580 quote on a denso compressor and $181 from rock auto ain’t no joke.
partsouq seems to be listing that part at over $2000 fwiw.

Are the values you cited 'static pressure'? Or are those supposed to be high and low side readings with the compressor running?

I ask...because I don't see how they would have gotten the clutch to engage with zero low side pressure, unless the jumped it?

The TXV is what separates the high and low sides. A blocked TXV (if that is what they assert) would do two things:

1. Static pressure (engine/AC not running) would not equalize or would take a LONG time to do so.
2. If running, low side pressure would be very low or actually pull into a vacuum (if the compressor is any good).

As for labor....all I can tell you is I wouldn't replace a compressor, drier, TXV and recharge the system for $150.00

IF they feel the compressor is shot...then the proper thing to do is remove it and inspect it to see if they think it sent small metal particles all through your system. Some will be caught in drier and Expansion valve screen. IF that is the case...then flushing the lines and replacing the compressor, the evaporator, the condenser, the drier and TXV are to be expected....or you'll be doing this all over again.

IF they feel the reed valves in the compressor failed and didn't send metal everywhere, then less is required. But I'd recommend finding a reputable shop with a good understanding of A/C systems....to diagnose it. Or at least ask questions of them....often times the Service Writer just jots down a synopsis of what the tech actually told them. Not unusual for the tech to know what they are doing and for the Service Writer to butcher what they were told.

thanks a lot for the help. 105 with no AC and a black truck ain’t no joke.
i got talking to the land cruiser place and they let me run it up and put their hands on it. AC is a lot more technical than i expected (or understand) but their feeling was to replace the expansion valve (and to do the receiver dryer at the same time).
it is at the shop /now/ and they are quoting $150 labor to do the expansion valve and receiver/dryer.
can i /please/ ask if i need to have them do anything else? fill (refill?) with refrigerant? flush the system?
the top notch shop could not get me in and they wanted like $1600+ for labor to do it properly (which i do not doubt since they definitely know what they are doing) but i seem to be trying to get it back on the road here asap and instead am cobbling it together...

<edit: not sure about the values and frankly i am not even sure they knew what the values were all about. BUT the land cruiser place put their hands on it and suggested i go with an expansion valve replacement if i needed it done before they could get me in...>

Last edited:
thanks a lot for the help. 105 with no AC and a black truck ain’t no joke.
i got talking to the land cruiser place and hey let me run it up and put their hands on it. AC is a lot more technical than i expected (or understand) but their feeling was to replace the expansion valve (and to do the receiver dryer at the same time).
it is at the shop /now/ and they are quoting $150 labor to do the expansion valve and receiver/dryer.
can i /please/ ask if i need to have them do anything else? fill (refill?) with coolant? flush the system?
the top notch shop could not get me in and they wanted like $1600+ for labor to do it properly (which i do not doubt since they definitely know what they are doing) but i seem to be trying to get it back on the road here asap and instead am cobbling it together...

<edit: not sure about the values and frankly i am not even sure they knew what the values were all about. BUT the land cruiser place put their hands on it and suggested i go with an expansion valve replacement if i needed it done before they could get me in...>

IF the expansion valve has failed in the closed position there won't be any (or little) refrigerant in the evaporator and in that case you could literally grab both lines (high and low side) at the firewall where they attach to the Evap and tell there was no heat exchange going on.

Are they aware that the Evaporator (tucked up behind your glove compartment) has to come out in order to replace the TXV?

The drier is easy enough to reach and replace, but then they still have to pump the system down and recharge with refrigerant.

Man...if you can get all that done for $150.00 labor....somebody is working pretty cheap or they don't know what they are getting into.

Hope it works out to just be the TXV....because it's darn sure SUMMERTIME here in Texas and I don't envy anyone without A/C right now.

IF the expansion valve has failed in the closed position there won't be any (or little) refrigerant in the evaporator and in that case you could literally grab both lines (high and low side) at the firewall where they attach to the Evap and tell there was no heat exchange going on.

Are they aware that the Evaporator (tucked up behind your glove compartment) has to come out in order to replace the TXV?

The drier is easy enough to reach and replace, but then they still have to pump the system down and recharge with refrigerant.

Man...if you can get all that done for $150.00 labor....somebody is working pretty cheap or they don't know what they are getting into.

Hope it works out to just be the TXV....because it's darn sure SUMMERTIME here in Texas and I don't envy anyone without A/C right now.

thanks dude. ****ers quoted me $100 to put in a compressor and when i brought in just the TXV and the receiver dryer i walked out with another quote for $160.
guy just called me back and told me it is going to be 4 - 5 hours and five bills or something. said the mechanic (who actually knows what he is doing) clued him in.
used to be a pretty good shop but the manager split so now they are down to one decent mechanic and not much more brain power than that over there.
just took a freaking uber back to my place and get landed then get a call back...

Last edited:
... not much more brain power than that over there. ...

If there were a way to tell what the running pressures are, someone could likely help you?

If there were a way to tell what the running pressures are, someone could likely help you?

^^^^^

Agreed. If the OP has a place to work on it and is willing to follow instructions, we can help right here. But as with all things mechanical....unless we are actually THERE, our diagnosis (and fixes) are educated guesses....depending heavily upon GOOD information/data from the guy on site.

For some folks...this makes good sense....for others, its better to take it to a pro. Where MUD can offer help is with our familiarity with the vehicle. A/C principles remain the same...one vehicle to the next, but knowing what parts are needed and the pitfalls of replacing them can make the job much easier.

Anyone that has done A/C work in the past (you guys have done tons of it) will tell you: Do it RIGHT the first time, it's never any fun....and you don't want to have to do it twice.

^^^^^

Agreed. If the OP has a place to work on it and is willing to follow instructions, we can help right here. But as with all things mechanical....unless we are actually THERE, our diagnosis (and fixes) are educated guesses....depending heavily upon GOOD information/data from the guy on site.

For some folks...this makes good sense....for others, its better to take it to a pro. Where MUD can offer help is with our familiarity with the vehicle. A/C principles remain the same...one vehicle to the next, but knowing what parts are needed and the pitfalls of replacing them can make the job much easier.

Anyone that has done A/C work in the past (you guys have done tons of it) will tell you: Do it RIGHT the first time, it's never any fun....and you don't want to have to do it twice.

thanks a TON @Tools R Us and @flintknapper
on my end i try and take these “learning opportunities” and leverage them into some understanding. consult the fiche diagrams. check the FSM. hit wikipedia for a term or two.
i know it isn’t always fun on the other end trying to give help but i try my best to keep up.
i’m in architecture and to be honest the refrigeration cycle has always been a black box no matter how many time i try to open it up and learn it so doing it with a vehicle has been interesting. the while pressure thing has been a bit hard to wrap my head around. and when you combine that with running around in 100+ degree heat talking to people that THINK they know what they are talking about it a bitch. the guy at yost that worked on my truck and then wrote it up and “explained” it to me - that y’all said didn’t know what he was doing - just gave me massive attitude on the phone telling me it is SCIENCE and i almost told him to **** off.
i should hear back from the shop that is putting in the pressure valve. i thought this was $150 bucks going in plus parts i brought but this may end up being a bigger mistake than i thought.
guess i will find out shortly.
next time i look for “auto AC repair” in town if i need it?
/normally/ i would do the repair myself if you were willing to help out inwa just trying to get out of town when this hit. but i may /still/ have to have a go at it if i end up leaving without the LC and have to fix it when i get back...

i’ve had it six months. slowly stopped cooling i guess.

Say no more!
Classic case of "charge before sale".
You have a simple leak my friend.
Just charge it back next early spring and be good for the summer.
;)

thanks a /freaking/ TON to everyone here. bought the expansion valve at NAPA for a couple of bucks and the local guys at precision auto tune cut me some slack at $255. they gave me back the dryer/receiver and said to return it to NAPA. not sure if anyone has opinions about that or anything else but i am obviously all ears.
i do have a slight whining sound on “middle fan”. not sure if that will go away.
it’s blowing cold so i can use it again. i wouldn’t say it is freezing cold like i have seen it but i am not going to complain. i’ll keep my fingers crossed it holds up.
THANKS ALL
obviously interested in further comments/education but at least i can drive it now...

also - apologies to the OP. i see i piggybacked on someone else’s thread.

F1954ED7-740C-476A-8422-37AD89CD6669.jpeg

9F86C325-59D6-41C3-BED7-8350AA34BA9E.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, the AC compressor clutch decided to check out. It's from a 96 JDM 1hdft, engine came from a half cut so I have no VIN and am trying to figure out the best route to go.

Partsouq doesn't have any complete units. They do have the clutch assembly & various parts for the interior of the compressor itself. Just want to get everyones thoughts.

Any sources for a complete unit?

Should I just replace the clutch assembly? Or rebuild the entire compressor?

Well, the AC compressor clutch decided to check out. It's from a 96 JDM 1hdft, engine came from a half cut so I have no VIN and am trying to figure out the best route to go.

Partsouq doesn't have any complete units. They do have the clutch assembly & various parts for the interior of the compressor itself. Just want to get everyones thoughts.

Any sources for a complete unit?

Should I just replace the clutch assembly? Or rebuild the entire compressor?

What is the part number/model compressor, do have a pic of it? I wouldn't recommend trying to 'rebuild' one, it's pretty involved. I imagine a new/reman is available.

Toyodiy lists the on as 88320-60630.

20200611_153510.jpg

20200611_153311.jpg

20200611_153117.jpg

Anyone else beside CruiserParts.net...

Called and spoke with John at cruiserparts this morning, he told me if the website doesn't say back ordered the part should be on is way shortly. Just in case I took screen shots of the page after reading the terms and conditions. Hopefully, the coin toss goes in my favor.

Amzn had the Denso compressor at a decent price last time I checked.

Seems like @Lumpskie went through this recently...

That's a 10PA15L. That's a tough one to find although I do have one supplier that has the correct body and can put the single groove clutch on it to make a complete unit. It's new, although it's an aftermarket not a Denso brand for the same $299+shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom