7th Annual Cruise Michigan (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
PLEASE RSVP BY JUNE 10!

Can't believe we are at year 7!! @dogfishlake we may need a pic of your 70 series for the shirts this year.

It's that time again. Similar venue to previous years. We will hold the event at our house again.

This post will show details, as well as those who are planning to attend. I'll try to keep it updated, but if you don't see your name here and plan on attending, let me know and I will add it to the list.

Date: Saturday, June 29, 2024
When: Anytime - lunch will be ready at noon.
Food: We'll provide pulled pork, buns, baked beans, coleslaw, chips and soft drinks. If there is something else you want, let me know.

If I can find some Jeremiah Weed before then, we will have our token shots again.

You Provide: Drink of choice and chairs.

Lodging: Camping on our property is fine, whether tent/vehicle/RTT/trailer etc. We have room. People are more than welcome to camp here Friday night and Saturday night. There are also two campgrounds fairly close (Whiskey Creek and Black Lake), the largest being Whiskey Creek campground, if you prefer those amenities.

Trail Ride: I'll put together a 'trail ride' for Saturday, June 29th, consisting of two-tracks/forest/seasonal roads. We will head out after lunch, approximately 1:00. The plan is to make pit stops at some local dive bars, ending somewhere for dinner.

Our original plan for this year was a week long trip, heading up through the UP, hitting Drummond Island, then over to @cheezypoof place in Canada, then returning to MI via the Detroit area. However, we are moving to Alabama for a year, leaving the first week of July...so there is a solid chance the week long trip won't happen, unfortunately.

Please let me know if you need anything or have questions:

RSVP: When you RSVP, please verify the following:
  • Number of people (kid and pet friendly)
  • When you will be arriving/departing (if camping, for planning purpose)
Again, there is an open invitation for those that arrive on Friday night to share in some bourbon (or whatever you drink), while we stare at smokers.

Pretty sure I have left some out, but please feel free to share!

@Ocho77 - 4, hosting
@dogfishlake
@cheezypoof
@MichLC
@69LC
@TCEd
@HiPlainsDrftr
@apc15
@Crush 4
@westveld
@Sandroad
@kbahus
@in8mud
@LC100MI
@Sweet Water
@RoadRamblinFJ60
@Hornd
@Buttons
@ElviMcCoy
@AllLC
@Gumby
@prodedvm
@LuluonSL
@BGMachine
@Golgo13
@lizznkirby
@scottm
@AKAIE15
@YooperCruiser
@eagleI18
@Dilspec
@RocketCityCrzrs
@ceylonfj40nut
@Danger Cruiser
@Mightymes
@Blue Phoenix
@90ToyHauler
@Supra88
@Farkai

Last edited:
Well, they are kind of in a million pieces right now with no idea when they might be done, LOL
I started with big plans on the HZJ-73. Same old story- took it completely apart, bought a bunch of parts, and it sits.
I have 79 series pickup project as well. Cab, front clip, 80 series chassis donor, 12h-t diesel. It all sits

Someday!
IMG_5260.jpg
IMG_5240.jpg

I’ll thrown for at least 4 names tentatively depending on AF dates.

I’ll keep my ear to the ground for some JW too.

These pics are from my Covid 2020 tour to Al Uhdeid fwiw. 1fze, 5-speed, 80/105 running gear with coils up front and leaves in back.
1708816201535.jpeg

1708816148492.jpeg

Last edited:
Zippy the 40 series is getting all the love right now and should be on the road within a month so we will have at least ONE Cruiser ready!
1708700164678429848924220828604.jpg

You know I have soft spot for Mustard FJ40's! Can I come up and help sometime? I might be able to make it up on the 29th with the family. I recently sold the GX470, but am in the process of putting together a Tundra. Would camping be 29th-30th?

You know I have soft spot for Mustard FJ40's! Can I come up and help sometime? I might be able to make it up on the 29th with the family. I recently sold the GX470, but am in the process of putting together a Tundra. Would camping be 29th-30th?
Bring whatever you want!

We've had good luck making this event on even numbered years so we're in. Ed/Fran

Ahh man this is the week after Drummond for me. Gonna give the wife a back rub then see what she thinks 🤣

We've had good luck making this event on even numbered years so we're in. Ed/Fran
Ed, you will probably have a 70 series by then, right?

Ed, you will probably have a 70 series by then, right?
The search was very frustrating and I just sorta gave up. There aren't many 73 series LHD to pick from and I wanted a driver not a project.
So I'm moving on going to get a bunch of work done on the 40 to keep it running nice. But I do keep checking for that 73.

Last edited:
The search was very frustrating and I just sorta up. There aren't many 73 series LHD to pick from and I wanted a driver not a project.
So I'm moving on going to get a bunch of work done on the 40 to keep it running nice. But I do keep checking for that 73.
I get that. My 73 series is a very big project (stalled out right now). It is structurally very good but still, to do it right it has to be a complete redo. It will be some years before it is done.

The search was very frustrating and I just sorta gave up. There aren't many 73 series LHD to pick from and I wanted a driver not a project.
Not sure if you're already doing so, but you could look in Ontario too, I have an open search on Kijii (the site all Canadians use to buy/sell cars), now and then something interesting pops. I believe LHD 70 series were sold in Canada for a brief window in the 1980s. Kijiji Autos - New and Used Cars, Trucks and SUVs Near You - https://www.kijijiautos.ca/

The 70 rabbit hole led me to something really cool, turns out new 70s are still sold to the Canadian mining industry, there are a few companies allowed to import from Japan and modify rigs for miners. These guys make a few variants including an EV conversion! TOYOTA LAND CRUISER Diesel - Miller Technology Incorporated - https://www.millertechnology.com/toyota-land-cruiser-diesel/ Gotta go knock on their door some day...

Not sure if you're already doing so, but you could look in Ontario too, I have an open search on Kijii (the site all Canadians use to buy/sell cars), now and then something interesting pops. I believe LHD 70 series were sold in Canada for a brief window in the 1980s. Kijiji Autos - New and Used Cars, Trucks and SUVs Near You - https://www.kijijiautos.ca/

The 70 rabbit hole led me to something really cool, turns out new 70s are still sold to the Canadian mining industry, there are a few companies allowed to import from Japan and modify rigs for miners. These guys make a few variants including an EV conversion! TOYOTA LAND CRUISER Diesel - Miller Technology Incorporated - https://www.millertechnology.com/toyota-land-cruiser-diesel/ Gotta go knock on their door some day...
The ex mining rigs pop up for sale once in a while. They do create issues if they are less than 25 years old with US importation. The best way is to modify another truck with the 70 series body work- making it a still legal modded US truck. I have a big pile of 79 series pickup items and an 80 running gear/frame for this. I am going to bail on it tho because of time.

The short wheelbase 70 did get imported to CA and is LHD, like you said. If you can find a solid one, that is a great route. I keep forgetting to check kijijji. Gotta do that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom