‘79 Limited edition 4x4 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought that yall would enjoy seeing this. We did a lot of work on this rig several years ago, very interesting history on these rigs. Supposedly there were only 1089 Toyota dealerships across the country in ‘79. Each one got a one of these limited edition 4x4’s in this color to market the new mini trucks.
4B562805-38D9-4C72-AA12-A3E4B8F4B80A.jpeg
18C2BA87-5CE6-4DF3-BCA2-E42B85F3F581.jpeg
40633328-370E-4E3A-BCEA-7B5A55924F7B.jpeg

Yeah... we're going to need more... lots more!!!

Yup, one per dealer. There was a big cardboard display box that went in the bed for showroom use. I wish I had taken photos of the truck we got. That was March of 1979 if I remember correctly. I wanted that truck so bad. The truck above was built in February 1979.

Thanks Dan, this rig has almost all of the original paperwork but not the sign. Do you remember if the wheels were Cygnus white? The pics I’ve seen make me think so? I’ll post more pics when it gets back to my shop. I bought a new set of FJ 40/45/55 wheels and hub caps for it.

The wheels were the same as those used on 40s and 55s but painted white. The paint code was not listed as far as I can remember but it was off white very much like a 40 roof.
We put chrome wheels on damn near every truck that came through. We scrapped hundreds of them.

Great color! Post some more pics when you get it back!

I believe there were also limited edition black trucks and a white one also but not as limited.
The trucks were in heavy demand when they first came out I had 500.00 deposits down at several delearships trying to get one. I got one of the first non limited trucks in March of 79 blue
The rims were off white with hubcaps

Yes on the black edition. Black, like the red limited, had a chrome grille, headlamp doors and front bumper but was not badged. All the "Sport" models had hubcaps, carpet, tachometer, gauge pod and woodgrain dash.
Standard trucks had plain wheels without hub cap clips, rubber floor mat and no tach or instrument pod.

Headlamp doors? Eww.

Mine was a "sport" i guess. Black,
Chrome and woodgrain. I really miss that rig.
Mine didn't have the limited badges, but my dealer told me it was in the first 1000-1500

? ?

I’m picturing covers over the headlights that open when you turn them on. Like in the old Lincoln’s etc. Probably not that good looking on a Toyota pickup.

Hedlamp door refers to the trim around the headlamp opening. It may, or may not, be a retractable cover.

Screenshot_2020-03-17 headlamp door - Google Search.png

Screenshot_2020-03-17 Replacement Headlight Door 3072 CarParts com.png

Very cool, never realized it existed.

Looks like it had the Stripes and equipped similar to early SR5’s, but called Sport trim level?

Well I’ll be dipped in dawgs***... I always called those headlight bezels or surrounds. Below is what I call doors. You know, because they openand close. A lot like, you know, doors?

I made headlights and tail lights for 15 years. Ford called those things "doors" as well.

The bezels. Usually the surround for seal beam headlights. Like Econoline or heavy duty pickups had a "work" version cheapy truck with sealed beams where the "door" filled in the gap. Higher end versions had a full "aero dynamic" plastic headlamp assembly. The Mustang lamps shown in the picture above were made in the same plant back when.

On a side note I was still making 1965 Mustang tail lamp assemblies as late as the late 90s. If my order was for 50 assemblies I had to make 100 because that's how many walked away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom