'79 40 power steering question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought the 40 back in 1988 and the former owner had removed and trashed the original power steering pump. I drove it without power steering for 4 years and then took the whole vehicle apart to do a full resto. Well after letting life happen for the past 23+ years, I finally am getting the resto complete. But this time I want power steering. Without a pump or bracket, but having everything else, which and where do i get a pump and bracket. I hear that to use a Saginaw pump I may have to cut the frame? I also hear that the 60 pump will fit without any fab. Please help guide me.
thanks
tom

If only the pump and bracket are missing just find and install. Cutting frame is to mount the steering box, connect shaft, etc

I did the Saginaw pump/Fj60 steering box conversion. No frame cutting. You'll need the adapter for the pump that bolts in under the motor mount bolts on the driver's side. It is made from some pretty big angle iron. The FJ60 steering box simplifies the steering mechanism greatly.

I have a 72 and went with the FJ-60 set up. Changing Shock Towers to mount the steering box is the hardest part. I ended up with the F250 shock towers and like the set up very much. Have not yet wheeled it but am told the articulation is improved with this set up as well.

Power Steering Pump-1.jpg

Power Stering Shock Tower-2.jpg

If it's a 1979 with the original 2F, 40 series p/s box and shorter steering shaft you just need to use an OEM pump bracket and pump from a FJ60. No cutting of shock tower or cutting of anything. I may even have an extra pump bracket.

Post some pics of what you have.

If only the pump and bracket are missing just find and install. Cutting frame is to mount the steering box, connect shaft, etc

What he said. Plug 'n play.

What he said. Plug 'n play.
thanks for the info. My buddy, who posts here also, has a 60 bracket and pump that should do fine. He wasn't around to ask when I posted the initial query. I am looking for pics on my hard drive. when I find them I will post.

If it's a 1979 with the original 2F, 40 series p/s box and shorter steering shaft you just need to use an OEM pump bracket and pump from a FJ60. No cutting of shock tower or cutting of anything. I may even have an extra pump bracket.

Post some pics of what you have.
Since the original poster has another source I may be interested. I have a 5/1980 FJ40. It did NOT have PS. Will the solution you mentioned still work?

thanks for the info. My buddy, who posts here also, has a 60 bracket and pump that should do fine. He wasn't around to ask when I posted the initial query. I am looking for pics on my hard drive. when I find them I will post.
79 and up, for sure (maybe earlier as well) 2F engines have the bosses for the 60 series PS pump bracket. Just clean the holes and bolt it on.
You're a lucky guy, those 40 PS boxes are pretty rare.

Since the original poster has another source I may be interested. I have a 5/1980 FJ40. It did NOT have PS. Will the solution you mentioned still work?

I ran my stock PS with the longer spud shaft... it was a tight fit, but worked. Idealy, you would pull the spud shaft, cut it down a bit and re drill the cross shaft hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom