Wanted ‘77 fj40 oil disappearing. Help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today after checking the oil, the oil was barely on the dipstick. There are no drips on the concrete floor of the garage and has not been driven very long since previous oil change. There is some smoke on idle but seems to go away when driving. But we have not followed at night to see if there is a smoke trail. There seems to be a little bit of a fuel fume by the filler neck on the passenger side as well, I saw a previous thread asking if there was a fume or not.

I have a picture where is seems there is some oil on the top of the motor but I am unfamiliar with the parts so that’s why I’m coming to the mud forum to learn and get some help. On the same side of the ending, there seems to be black residue on the fender wall. I will post pictures below.

I have seen that replacing the PCV valve may fix all the issues. Compression on the motor is good.

0502659A-BA20-4B5B-83E8-B2B2B32D3879.jpeg

CCDF26AB-C9CB-4CFC-ABEF-74700EB72854.jpeg

Are you absolutely sure it was full of oil after the last oil change? did you do it or a shop? did you check it after you drove it after the oil change? I would say fill it to the correct level then drive it for the next couple of weeks and check it every day after driving. then you can rule out bad dipstick measuring.

Are you absolutely sure it was full of oil after the last oil change? did you do it or a shop? did you check it after you drove it after the oil change? I would say fill it to the correct level then drive it for the next couple of weeks and check it every day after driving. then you can rule out bad dipstick measuring.
It will smoke when driving. We have not been driving it the past few days now because the temperature gauge is shooting up right away and not knowing the true reading we want to do a little work to ensure it really is not overheating when driving down the road. The plan is to flush the radiator then redo the valve seals and the pcv seal.

It will smoke when driving. We have not been driving it the past few days now because the temperature gauge is shooting up right away and not knowing the true reading we want to do a little work to ensure it really is not overheating when driving down the road. The plan is to flush the radiator then redo the valve seals and the pcv seal.
PCV valve*

have you checked the radiator and looked at the antifreeze to see if it in fact full and look for oil? Did you happen to drain the oil and see if it is cloudy? kind of sounds like a blown head gasket, but you said you had good compression. just thinking out loud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom