'77 FJ40 buildup in Charlotte (finally) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Might be overkill, but with 400 lb-ft of torque, better safe than sorry.
transmount3.jpg
transmount4.jpg

Got the body back from paint the other day. For the first time, I tried to bolt it completely down to the chassis. It might be a pilgrim thing, but the mounts don't seem to want to work. I started from the back, and worked my way forward. When I got to the mounts at the firewall, they are about a full inch higher than the frame outriggers. WTF? Grafting the tub to the firewall was not rocket science, so where did it all go wrong? The only thing I can figure is the 3/4 tub mounting points are off.:censor:

Oh well, time to cut some spacer blocks and try again.
paint.jpg

Lookin sick man, looking sick! hope to catch up w/ you and 77cruiser soon and check both of these new toys out. I just let a local member know about you cage as well (highlandcruzer)

roll cage

Hey the ride looks great you do great work. I am building a 77 cruiser. So far all I have done to it is a rear half restoration. I install 1/8 diamond plate tub and inner finders. Built an new tube outer frame that goes from side to side without ever installing a tail gate. I'm getting ready to skin the outside with 18 gauge rolled steal. I want a stout ride for the trails here in Kansas and Mo. I am though having trouble with the roll cage. The original cage sucks so I want a new one. I would be interested in yours or some ideas on building my own. After seeing your project I know you are the guy to talk to. LOOKS GREAT:clap:

Lookin sick man, looking sick! hope to catch up w/ you and 77cruiser soon and check both of these new toys out. I just let a local member know about you cage as well (highlandcruzer)

J-

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. If I can't sell the cage, I'll just cut the front off and redesign. I'd rather start from scratch though.

jC

Hey the ride looks great you do great work. I am building a 77 cruiser. So far all I have done to it is a rear half restoration. I install 1/8 diamond plate tub and inner finders. Built an new tube outer frame that goes from side to side without ever installing a tail gate. I'm getting ready to skin the outside with 18 gauge rolled steal. I want a stout ride for the trails here in Kansas and Mo. I am though having trouble with the roll cage. The original cage sucks so I want a new one. I would be interested in yours or some ideas on building my own. After seeing your project I know you are the guy to talk to. LOOKS GREAT:clap:

Thanks for the kind words. I understand your cage issues, as I've been struggling myself. I want a full cage, tied into the frame, that will allow for retaining the padded dash, folding down the windshield, and still rolling back a full soft top.

Tough nut to crack.

jC

Don't leave us hanging. We need an update and pic's.

Looking very nice.

Should have an update and pictures by the weekend. The paint shop rejected a bunch of parts and is redoing them as we speak. They want the truck back assembled for a final buffing, so I should have some shots by the weekend of a partially assembled rig.

pre-assembled panels onto rig. It needs sent back to the paint shop for final buffing and detailing.

The *#(&@^ "high dollar" half doors from Heritage don't fit worth a damn. Be aware that they are :censor:
DSC04217.jpg

Last edited:
It is looking really nice. I gotta hand it to you, you are spending the coin and I am enjoying seeing your progress too. What color is that? Please also tell me more about the 1/2 doors. Any pictures of the fitment problems to share? What are your options now?

Hung the half doors to find that the latch doesn't even come close to hitting the striker. Shimmed the striker out twice (about 3/16") without success. The hinges are already adjusted to their maximum. It appears that the door positions the latch at a steeper angle than stock also. The only thing left to do is oval out the hinge plate bolt holes more, or manufacture a replacement striker plate of some kind.

Be aware, these are the Pilgrim doors sold under the Heritage line. The factory doors line up fine, and appear to be in the center of their adjustment range.

Will try to capture and post shots as well.

Judging by this and a statement in an earlier post about the cab mounts not lining up, didn't you assemble everthing B4 paint?

I had bolted the four rear mounts across the back of the frame, and the two under the firewall, but didn't bother to try the middle mounting points. It was the two under the cab floor that needed cut down to fit.

As far as the doors were concerned, I did hang both full and half doors, but didn't mount the striker and latch assemblies. (my bad) I hung all major body panels to test for fit, but didn't get to the smaller parts.

very motivating! more pics please!!

Took the plasma to the roll bar today. I didn't like the look when the windshield was down, so it's going to be redesigned. The front half was scrapped, but I'm hoping to retain the B-hoop and rear section.

I'd post a picture, but I'm out of photo posting space.:crybaby:

Truck went back to the paint shop for final buffing and touchup. I couldn't bolt anything on that would interfere with the process, so I placed a few items on the firewall.
IT.jpg
IT2.jpg

Jim..
Send me some photo's of the unpainted door..would like to check to see if it's mine,
check your email too..
If this door is mine I'll make good anything you need..
Paul.

Hung the half doors to find that the latch doesn't even come close to hitting the striker. Shimmed the striker out twice (about 3/16") without success. The hinges are already adjusted to their maximum. It appears that the door positions the latch at a steeper angle than stock also. The only thing left to do is oval out the hinge plate bolt holes more, or manufacture a replacement striker plate of some kind.

Be aware, these are the Pilgrim doors sold under the Heritage line. The factory doors line up fine, and appear to be in the center of their adjustment range.

Will try to capture and post shots as well.

Working with Paul on the half door issues, so I decided to bolt insignificant things on the truck that would make it look closer to being done.

Edit: Not sure I like the grill. What is the general opinion, black or white?
DSC04326.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom