74' FJ55 Build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I bought this 74' FJ55 wagon about 8 months ago with the intent of building it for my family and I....

This is my first FJ55 Wagon build so please go easy on me...
IMG_2363.JPG
IMG_2379.jpg
IMG_2383.jpg

Stage 1:
SOA lift
New scratch built shackles (2"X1/2" Flat stock plate)
Front and rear pinion angles set
Front steering knuckles turned for proper caster angle (Truck will not want to swerve all over the road
New Bushings / shocks
4X4 labs high steer
New Front axle rebuild
New brakes: Disc in the future, but new shoes for now...

First thing is to cut out all the old suspension damage...
IMG_3536.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG

Reactions: Gus
I'm using stock leaf springs
Front shackles are 8" long with the bolt holes drilled 1" in from either side (6" between holes)
Rear shackles are 6" long with the bolt holes drilled in 1" in from either side (4" between holes)
Shackles made from 2"X1/2" Flat stock
New scratch built spring perches made from 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" X 1/4 Box Tubing
IMG_3571.jpg
IMG_0285.jpg

Here is a photo of what I have done with the stock F motor so far:
Empi Carb from Man-a-fre
Split header (Not pictured) that has been modified to fit the wagon
HEI ignition
New water pump
New Fuel Pump
New Holly Fuel Pressure regulator
and a recent valve adjustment, and complete fluids / filters change...

I'm pulling out the old 3 speed and have a nice solid 4 speed with fresh clutch kit going in it tomorrow!
IMG_3495.JPG

Wow, it looks like you know your way around a Cruiser!

Is this your first Piggy?

Welcome!

I've built three BJ40s but this is my first Piggy... I really wasn't too familiar with them until just this past year... Needless to say they are quickly becoming my favorite LC choice (Especially because I have a family that loves four full size doors)...

Future plans are for either a 3B diesel or a 4BT Cummins, but first I just want to drive it for a year or two... The F motor doesn't seem too bad on power with a few minor upgrades: Carb, exhaust, ignition, and a good tune up...

If there are any Piggy fans in northern California I would love to plan a few piggy runs this winter (Share our play grounds)....

Last edited:
I have seen a few Piggies come out of Weed lately.
Where in NoCal (NorCal? Opposite of SoCal?) are you?

Where did you get those new spring mounts?

I'm by Chico, Ca (About an hour and a half north of Sacramento)... The spring mounts are the same mounts I just cut off the "Red neck" lift blocks with my plasma and metal finished them back to shape... They turned out nice.... Then I welded them back to the chassis... I used the original rivet holes to align the rear mounts back to their respective locations...

Recently sold a 66' FJ45 that had a split header on it. I decided to hold on to the headers for the wagon but as we all know they don't fit. I've purchased some 2" mandrel bent exhaust tubing from summit to build a new y pipe, and shortened the length of the collectors...

I should have the exhaust finished this coming week (Photos coming)...
IMG_4085.jpg
IMG_4086.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom